Question About Animal Plastic Racks??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 05-23-2005, 05:43 PM   #1
snakeman56
Question About Animal Plastic Racks???

After much research I went ahead and ordered 2 racks from Animal Plastics. My question is anybody out there using the Iris Racks and did you put any holes in the containers?? I ordered a 30 cont hachtling Iris 330 and a Iris 375 (10) container, both with indirect belly heat.

Thanks for your comments.

Tom Sierra

Old 05-23-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
gila7150
I have Animal Plastics 330 and 375 Iris racks and they are awesome. The Iris containers are better than the Sterilite or Rubbermaid in my opinion because they are easier to clean and very clear for better visibility.
I put holes across the top of the containers with a soldering iron for ventilation. There is not much of a space gap (to prevent hatchling escapes) so it will be necessary to make ventilation holes.
You will be very happy with your racks!

Old 05-23-2005, 09:56 PM   #3
snakeman56
Quote:
Originally Posted by gila7150
I have Animal Plastics 330 and 375 Iris racks and they are awesome. The Iris containers are better than the Sterilite or Rubbermaid in my opinion because they are easier to clean and very clear for better visibility.
I put holes across the top of the containers with a soldering iron for ventilation. There is not much of a space gap (to prevent hatchling escapes) so it will be necessary to make ventilation holes.
You will be very happy with your racks!

Thanks for the response!! Could you post a picture of the racks and of the containers with the holes in them???

Thanks
Tom Sierra

Old 05-23-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
Dr Owens
Tom,
Why are you posting under two different usernames?

Old 05-23-2005, 11:44 PM   #5
Chris_Harper2
Tom,

Adding ventilation holes to a box is dependent on several factors. What species you keep, the heat differential between the room and the tubs, the size, material, and placement of the water bowl are just a few of many considerations.

Whether or not you need additional ventilation above the amount provided by the gap between the box and the upper shelf is something you need to figure out on your own.

Remember, if the gap above the box is 1/8" (pretty normal for an adult rack) that's equivalent to about 250 holes drilled with a 1/8" bit. In other words, holes don't do much in the typical adult rack. I have found them to be more important in hatchling racks.

Old 05-24-2005, 12:14 AM   #6
snakeman56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Owens
Tom,

I don't understand your question???

Old 05-24-2005, 12:17 AM   #7
snakeman56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Owens
Tom,

Sorry I see what you mean!. I don't know how this happened. I must have registered 2 times maybe after I forgot the info. How can I change it to one user name??

I like to go by snakeman56

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Tom Sierra

Old 05-24-2005, 12:19 AM   #8
snakeman56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Harper2
Tom,

Adding ventilation holes to a box is dependent on several factors. What species you keep, the heat differential between the room and the tubs, the size, material, and placement of the water bowl are just a few of many considerations.

Whether or not you need additional ventilation above the amount provided by the gap between the box and the upper shelf is something you need to figure out on your own.

Remember, if the gap above the box is 1/8" (pretty normal for an adult rack) that's equivalent to about 250 holes drilled with a 1/8" bit. In other words, holes don't do much in the typical adult rack. I have found them to be more important in hatchling racks.
Thanks for the information.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:40 AM   #9
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman56
Sorry I see what you mean!. I don't know how this happened. I must have registered 2 times maybe after I forgot the info. How can I change it to one user name??

I like to go by snakeman56

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Tom Sierra
Tap your heels together 3 times and.... oh, I see you already did that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!