Setting up my HOT room (PICTURES) - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #11
Kingetula
I got my 6 foot shelves from Metro today. I put blankets down to prevent scratching while I put them together. I have 1 more 4 foot shelving coming tomorrow. All together I can fit 15 4 footcages and 6, 6 foot cages in the room.

Next will be the long task of putting the cages together. :-(

I'm also thinking of using a portable AC in the room. I imagine 21 heating devices will get this South facing room really hot. I'm not sure of the best way to go about it right now. I have an AC guy coming out tomorrow to go over my options with me. When I used this room as a den my 1 widescreen TV and large bay window kept the room around 82F. Not bad I guess for snakes but I have a feeling the temp is going to get higher than that. I plan on putting something up to block the heat around the window and the tile should help so I may wait and see. (Plus winter is right around the corner)
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #12
Kingetula
The A/C guy came out today but wasn't very helpful. Besides moving a vent from another part of the house and adding it to the snake room he wasn't sure what to do. I told him we could have a million vents in the snake room but as long as the thermostat is across the house it will never pick up the heat in this room. In this case my room could reach 120F and the thermostat would never know. He did say he would check with his boss for other options but I never heard back.

I decided to buy a portable A/C that should be here next week. This means I have to sacrifice 1 cage to make room for the A/C unit. Unit should be here in a week or so.

Today I went to Ace and bought some plants to shade the front window. Once they get going they should help reduce some of the heat. (Anything helps)
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2007, 10:18 AM   #13
Kingetula
Sorry for the long break. I took some time off to visit the Hamburg Reptile Expo this past weekend. On Monday my 15 cages arrived from Animal Plastics and spent most of Monday putting 7 of them together. Tuesday and Wednesday I spent doing other things like getting some of the cages ready for my snakes and other things before the rest of the cages can be brought in the room.

I took a trip to the rock store and brought them home. You can see my big helper in the pictures as he cleans the dirt off the rocks.

I also had an issue with the portable AC I ordered. I had no where to put it. The best thing I could come up with was to remove 1 cage from the room and set it by the window. At first I thought I could just set the AC on one of the metal shelves but after some further thought I realized each time the AC comes on it would be like a small earthquake for the snakes on that shelving unit. So I removed the bottom shelf thinking I could just set the AC on the floor. Once I removed the shelf the whole shelving unit became unstable without a bottom shelf to help support it. Trying to figure out the best way to make this work I decided to rent a grinder from Home Depot and cut out 50% of the inner part of the shelves. This will allow the shelving unit to have bottom support and allow the AC unit to sit on the ground and doesn't touch the shelving. My AC should be here today and I hope it works as planned.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2007, 10:23 AM   #14
Kingetula
Here are the rest of the pictures
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2007, 01:55 AM   #15
debcat76135
Wow amazing room!! Great job on the tile to! Was just skimming through here but had to say great job. As for the AC guy call him back over and smack him LOL. My hubby is an HVAC tech and if he were awake and I ask would probably start rattling (no pun intended) off some kind of technical mambo jumbo on how you could fix that issue. IE move the thermostat and rewire it or install a second thermostat with dampers in the duct work allowing/restricting air flow...or some such thing... Baiscly if your HVAC person knows there stuff you can't shut them up.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:07 AM   #16
Kingetula
Quote:
Originally Posted by debcat76135
Wow amazing room!! Great job on the tile to! Was just skimming through here but had to say great job. As for the AC guy call him back over and smack him LOL. My hubby is an HVAC tech and if he were awake and I ask would probably start rattling (no pun intended) off some kind of technical mambo jumbo on how you could fix that issue. IE move the thermostat and rewire it or install a second thermostat with dampers in the duct work allowing/restricting air flow...or some such thing... Baiscly if your HVAC person knows there stuff you can't shut them up.

Thanks for the compliment.

As soon as the sun comes up I will take more pictures. I'm pretty much done now. I am still waiting on 6 more cages from AP but for the most part I am done.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:49 AM   #17
Mooing Tricycle
sheesh.... what an awesome job there.... * is totally jealous* Seriously beautiful work!

and, of course, CONGRATS!

Old 09-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #18
Kingetula
It's very dark in the snake room now as you will see 5 cages block the large window and my camera phone doesn't have flash.

You can see all the cages have been put together and a few are already setup. 6 shelves are empty as I wait on my 6 foot cages from AP.

I have 7 Spyder Robotics Herpstat Pros. 1 unit for 3 cages. 3 outlets are for heat and the fourth outlet controlls all 3 lights. It works out perfectly.

The portable AC fits perfectly as you can see.

The clock by my computer is actually my weather station. It tells me what the temp and humidity is inside the snake room by way of remote sensor. (I also have sensors outside the house) I can bring the weather station where ever I go. If I want to watch TV I can bring it, if I want to use the computer I can have right next to me and when it's time for bed it's my alarm clock. The humidity is around 58% right now but I have a condinsation pump coming that will hook up to the AC unit. The unit also has a dehumidifier but can only work with the pump. At first I didn't think I needed a heater with all the heating cables but I changed my mind. It's better to have and not need then to need and not have so I went ahead and got the AC/heater unit.

The leather chair is in the room for me to sit down and chill. Being around my snakes is therapy for me I guess. Sort of like running water in a garden, good for the Kingetulas' mind and soul.

All cages have locks, lights and belly heat.

Not that it would be easy for anyone to break into the room with all those cages and weight but I also had adjustments made to the security alarm. I added that annoying siren that wakes up the whole neighborhood.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2007, 10:28 AM   #19
Kingetula
Here a re the rest of the pictures
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #20
Kingetula
Security
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!