Something to ponder..... - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you use this hypothetical stuff?
Yes 15 26.79%
No 37 66.07%
Not sure or maybe, explain below. 4 7.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2005, 03:06 AM   #51
Karen Hulvey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis1
Tell me where to find an Albino or Pied population I'll be on the next plane...lol
Here ya go. Please send us a postcard and take lots of pictures from your trip.
Historically, piebald ball pythons have been recorded as early as 1966. Approximately 100 miles inland from Accra, Ghana, villagers found and killed a large male specimen measuring 118 centimeters. Further findings of piebalds could not be found until the early 1980s when Tyron Dillon of California Zoological Supply brought in two adult animals, also from Ghana.
Text from THIS SITE

A WC albino is also from Ghana.
In 1989, I became aware of the possibility of the existence of an amelanistic ball python (Python regius). My friend Olaf Pronk, then of The Hague, Netherlands, had received word via Telex, that the snake had been captured in Ghana. In May of that year, I received the snake, a young male about 26 inches long. It was bright lemon yellow and clean white.
Text from This SITE

I only visited two well known ball breeders' sites to get this information. I wonder how many more WC albinos & pieds there are from all the other huge breeders out there???

Old 09-11-2005, 04:54 AM   #52
Dennis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hulvey
Here ya go. Please send us a postcard and take lots of pictures from your trip.
Historically, piebald ball pythons have been recorded as early as 1966. Approximately 100 miles inland from Accra, Ghana, villagers found and killed a large male specimen measuring 118 centimeters. Further findings of piebalds could not be found until the early 1980s when Tyron Dillon of California Zoological Supply brought in two adult animals, also from Ghana.
Text from THIS SITE

A WC albino is also from Ghana.
In 1989, I became aware of the possibility of the existence of an amelanistic ball python (Python regius). My friend Olaf Pronk, then of The Hague, Netherlands, had received word via Telex, that the snake had been captured in Ghana. In May of that year, I received the snake, a young male about 26 inches long. It was bright lemon yellow and clean white.
Text from This SITE

I only visited two well known ball breeders' sites to get this information. I wonder how many more WC albinos & pieds there are from all the other huge breeders out there???
Not very many
Anyhow i asked for populations,It would be pretty stupid of me to spend all that money to travel to africa and pay for the permits(if i could even get 1)
Airfare and acomodations for 1 or 2 if i could even find one that when i can just get one from a breeder
good try though
There are no pied or albino populations in africa
very very few of them reach adulthood in the wild
I wish there were i could take a vacation and make some money at the same time

Old 09-11-2005, 05:32 AM   #53
crotalusadamanteus
I don't really think you can accurately say there are no albino, or pied poulations in africa. Hets count in that population also. they look normal.
The ones that are here, came from there originally. I've been to C. Amer jungles, and S. Amer jungles, and finding Normal snakes, let alone morphs, is a lot more of a task than you might think. LOL Of corse, BP's don't come from jungles, but the savanahs, and wide open plains, and brushland that they do inhabit are so vast, that any number of morphs could go undetected by man for years and years.

Take a look at the Hogg Island boa. A very "locality specific" natural hypo type, (maybe not a morph literally) but an isolated population of a BCI that looks other than normal. As another example.

But back to venom.
I think you may be looking for that burning bush. Like proof there is a god. All you can really do is read as much as you can on the subject, with an open mind, and use the best evidence at hand for your conclusions. Like I said earlier, I don't think things evolve for "no reason". Venom is an evolutionary creation.

Ciao,
Rick

Old 09-11-2005, 08:37 AM   #54
Gregg M
Dennis, just like you I need proof for alot of things in order to "buy" into it, but some things can just be put together with bits of info from various places.... I dont think you need to have one page of info to say exactly what you want to hear.... Thats the fun of doing research....

You are a cool dude Dennis, and your scentence structure is just fine and I understand what you are getting at with your posts.... You are just looking for answers to good questions..... Thats why this has stayed as civil as it has.... Plus we are all adults and frankly, I am sick of fighting about stuff that can be talked out in a good convo..... I used to like the fighting but I am now reformed....LOL

Thank you hhmoore for letting me know about this thread.... It is a very interesting one indeed....

Old 09-11-2005, 12:04 PM   #55
Dennis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg M
Dennis, just like you I need proof for alot of things in order to "buy" into it, but some things can just be put together with bits of info from various places.... I dont think you need to have one page of info to say exactly what you want to hear.... Thats the fun of doing research....
Thats just it i dont even know where to look to get factual information on this subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg M
You are a cool dude Dennis, and your scentence structure is just fine and I understand what you are getting at with your posts.... You are just looking for answers to good questions..... Thats why this has stayed as civil as it has.... Plus we are all adults and frankly, I am sick of fighting about stuff that can be talked out in a good convo..... I used to like the fighting but I am now reformed....LOL
LOL.. not many would agree with you at this moment
Like you i am a fighter and have a hard time running from a fight And i feel the need to keep it civil in most cases

Old 09-11-2005, 12:54 PM   #56
crotalusadamanteus
For me, used key words like "venom structure" "tissue destruction by venom" "purpose venomous enzyms" ect. ect. etc......A lot of links, if you look at the path below, will take you to Universities, where in some cases, students have published their thesus on this subject, or one closely related. Alot of stuff written by Post doctoral students, professors, etc.

You can usually tell if the site is worth the time to read it thoroughly. My problem is remembering to SAVE THE LINKS. LOL Then I get to search all over when the question arises again.

Ciao,
Rick

Old 09-19-2005, 07:56 PM   #57
Dennis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
I don't really think you can accurately say there are no albino, or pied poulations in africa. Hets count in that population also. they look normal.
The ones that are here, came from there originally. I've been to C. Amer jungles, and S. Amer jungles, and finding Normal snakes, let alone morphs, is a lot more of a task than you might think. LOL Of corse, BP's don't come from jungles, but the savanahs, and wide open plains, and brushland that they do inhabit are so vast, that any number of morphs could go undetected by man for years and years.

Take a look at the Hogg Island boa. A very "locality specific" natural hypo type, (maybe not a morph literally) but an isolated population of a BCI that looks other than normal. As another example.
Sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
But back to venom.
I think you may be looking for that burning bush. Like proof there is a god. All you can really do is read as much as you can on the subject, with an open mind, and use the best evidence at hand for your conclusions. Like I said earlier, I don't think things evolve for "no reason". Venom is an evolutionary creation.
Ciao,
Rick
You will have no argument with me there
I always thought that the venom's main purpose is to incapacitate its prey
To say it that its has another function Like to aidin digestion could be correct
But that doesn't necessarily mean that the lack of venom is detrimental in a controlled environment
In this respect the only thing that could be wrong with a venomoid would be the complications due to surgery
So if there were a medicine that didnt have any side effects i would buy it...as long as it worked...lol
And they could charge Hundreds of dollars and get it...lol

Old 09-19-2005, 09:05 PM   #58
crotalusadamanteus
Well, Your right. It's MAIN purpose is to kill the prey.

If there was a medicine for such a thing, I would support it over the ductectomy, and removal of glands. But I do still say that safe handling of venomous reptiles can be learned. And even if it is a void, this same safe handling should be put into practice.

O.T. Have you been to one of the "round ups"? They get a few bites every year it seems. These guys call themselves pro's. I've never seen so much careless handling of rattlers before I went to one in clearwater TX.

BTW, how do you do two quotes in one response? I've had need of that before. LOL

Ciao,
Rick

Old 09-19-2005, 10:00 PM   #59
Karen Hulvey
That didn't work so well.

Trying again.

Type [/quote] at the end of the text you wish to quote. Type [quote=Karen] at the beginning of the text you wish to quote. You can leave off the = and the name of the person if you wish.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:25 PM   #60
Dennis1
*QUOTE=crotalusadamanteus]Well, Your right. It's MAIN purpose is to kill the prey.

If there was a medicine for such a thing, I would support it over the ductectomy, and removal of glands. But I do still say that safe handling of venomous reptiles can be learned. And even if it is a void, this same safe handling should be put into practice.[/quote]
I agree...That is to say i would definetly treat a venomoid as if it were hot

*QUOTE=crotalusadamanteus]O.T. Have you been to one of the "round ups"? They get a few bites every year it seems. These guys call themselves pro's. I've never seen so much careless handling of rattlers before I went to one in clearwater TX.[/quote]
Yeah But just goes to show Accidents can happen

*QUOTE=crotalusadamanteus] [BTW, how do you do two quotes in one response? I've had need of that before. LOL
Ciao,
Rick[/quote]

I replaced "[" with"*" in this *QUOTE=crotalusadamanteus] to demonstrate

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!