Info Ashley Caspillo-SakaraGT4/Sakara *Possible Buyer Beware!* - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #41
Drew Zaun
I hate to say it Ashley but that vet report does nothing to exclude IBD. Some of the symptoms mentioned in the history are associated with IBD and certainly it could have contributed to this animal needing to be put down. Since you have a boa whose necropsy was positive for inclusions and at least one python dead with IBD type issues I would be very cautious and very nervous.

Read Adyra's first post very carefully. This disease can take very different paths to manifest itself, and it seems that boas can be asymptomatic for a long time.

It sucks to be in that position but what else can you do? It is good that you have not seen anything recently but in all honesty you are not out of the woods yet.

I would lock everything down if I were you. Nothing in nothing out and hope for the best.

Good luck!

Adyra, my sympathies. I do not know how I would be if I were in your shoes, it must be very rough.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #42
amercnwmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakaraGT4 View Post
i
And as I stated, I am going to try to find a local-ish vet to do some liver biopsies on a couple snakes, at least to start a couple, python and boa alike... I expect for them to not find anything, but I will post that when I get it done... '
I think that's great and I really hope it turns out to be completely clear.
However I will say if you'd have done all that BEFORE selling/adding snakes, this thread would never had existed.

Quote:
I just refuse to do that unless it's necessary... If I put down all my babies only to find that there truly was nothing... I would be devastated...
Yeah that's ridiculous, and I don't blame you.
However I'm worried it IS possibly something and you've now exposed other people's collections based on an assumption everything was ok.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #43
Drew Zaun
Ahem, Adrya, sorry I misspelled.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #44
SakaraGT4
If you read... That was the history that I told them...

When I was concerned about my burm it was because she was smearing her face against the glass leaving saliva, which I'm guessing was the "stomatitis", that animal never had mouth rot or anything... Also when I tried to feed her she didn't even look at her food where she would usually try to take your arm off... When she finally lazily wrapped the rabbit she just laid there with it... She slowly poked around at it and then decided not to eat it... She was very weak when I took her into the vet and she was very slow in moving and wanting to right herself, which she DID, but it was very lazily... The vet had her for the weekend, alive, because they couldn't send her off until Monday... He said they kept her warm and over the weekend she was acting better, alert, roaming the bin she was in and acting normal... I was very upset because I had already made the decision to put her down and send her off for pathology... But I still did...

Old 12-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #45
SakaraGT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by amercnwmn View Post
I think that's great and I really hope it turns out to be completely clear.
However I will say if you'd have done all that BEFORE selling/adding snakes, this thread would never had existed.
I hate to say it, but it probably WOULD still exist... Not by your concern... But even if I would have gotten the liver biopsies done before, there are still some ppl that like to make others look bad... I will get it done, but yea... Even if I WOULD have before, I'm sure it still would have been brought up by others anyway...

Old 12-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #46
Drew Zaun
Quote:
Originally Posted by amercnwmn View Post

Yeah that's ridiculous, and I don't blame you.
However I'm worried it IS possibly something and you've now exposed other people's collections based on an assumption everything was ok.
I would not put down asymptomatic animals either.

In Ashley's defense she has conflicting vet reports? So that with some hoping can lead one to believe all is ok even if it is not

And for what it is worth, none of my snakes exhibit a "writing" reflex either, no matter how many times I leave pens in their enclosures, so I am not sure how that fits into an IBD diagnosis or not?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Not good in something that is supposed to be professional correspondence...

Old 12-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #47
amercnwmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Zaun View Post
I hate to say it Ashley but that vet report does nothing to exclude IBD. Some of the symptoms mentioned in the history are associated with IBD and certainly it could have contributed to this animal needing to be put down. Since you have a boa whose necropsy was positive for inclusions and at least one python dead with IBD type issues I would be very cautious and very nervous.

Read Adyra's first post very carefully. This disease can take very different paths to manifest itself, and it seems that boas can be asymptomatic for a long time.
Wondered about that as well..

I know Adrya has been in contact w/ Dr. Jacobson and has spoken to him about her collection's problems and any similarities.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #48
AddictedToBoas
You're right the thread probably still would have come up, but not because people are out to get you. A negative could still be a positive. IBD is notoriously hard to diagnose in live animals if they aren't showing obvious symptoms. Sometimes even if they are, they don't test positive for it that's why this disease is so dangerous and worrisome to breeders. Sometimes even animals that people are SURE died from IBD don't show the inclusion bodies. I'd say even if the tests come back negative a warning should still be let out to your potential buyers and the waiting period you stated earlier should still come into effect. Maybe not one that blatantly says hey these guys could have IBD, but maybe a reminder to quarantine? I just know I'd be upset if someone had an incident or two of possible IBD deaths and I wasn't told about it...

Old 12-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #49
amercnwmn
Quote:
hate to say it, but it probably WOULD still exist... Not by your concern... But even if I would have gotten the liver biopsies done before, there are still some ppl that like to make others look bad... I will get it done, but yea... Even if I WOULD have before, I'm sure it still would have been brought up by others anyway...
Maybe the thread would exist, but your supply of a few lab tests clearing the snakes, a year or more of complete lockdown, and their claims would have virtually NO validity. Not to mention you, and your buyers would have almost complete peace of mind, your credibility would be MUCH higher, and your buyers would not be currently worried about whether their collections are exposed to a potentially lethal, incurable disease.

Right now the claims show you knowingly were acquiring/selling/donating snakes AFTER having those results. Which is really worse??

Old 12-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #50
SakaraGT4
I understand... and yes, I believe that is a good idea... If I still lived in Fla I would offer that Dr. Jacobson could do the tests on my snakes... But I don't know if that is possible at all...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
ibd