Punctuation! Grammar! Syntax! Spelling! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
hhmoore
Punctuation! Grammar! Syntax! Spelling!

There, now that I've got that off my chest...lol. I know it isn't just me, but it is unbelievable how much effort it takes to communicate with people because they have no clue how to write coherently. It's bad enough on forums, where some people totally ignore punctuation, capital letters, sentence structure, and spelling; but it seems to be invading the rest of my world as well. I wish I could just ignore everybody that can't put together a decent sentence, but unfortunately that isn't possible. And think of all the good laughs I would miss out on.
Not too long ago, my big dog got out of my yard - my fault, entirely. I had been cleaning out my truck while I had them outside, so I neglected to lock the gate (it was closed & latched, just not locked). Now, my dogs love to go for rides; so if they are outside, and my truck is open, they start to get excited. On top of that, the big guy doesn't like me wandering off...he needs to keep an eye on me to make sure that I don't run into trouble. Anyway, I had to run inside for a few minutes (there is a point to all of this, you'll see it in a moment, lol)...and while I was gone, the big guy popped the gate open and walked over to my truck. Since I wasn't there, he figured he'd better find me and walked around the front of the house. A stranger!! Naturally, he barked. Since he is about 160lbs, naturally the person got scared and ran into his house...and of course, he called the police. (yeah, my neighbors suck, but that is a whole other story). I walked back outside, saw the gate open and told him to get his butt back in the yard...which he promptly did. The police showed up after I left for work, the animal control officer several days later. Got a ticket. Went to court. When I was handed the deposition, I saw:
Quote:
the defendant Harold Moore who lives at 118 Sherman Ave and owns a mastiff was running lose unleashed all over the place scaring people
I was truly tempted to change my plea to not guilty...I thought I was there because my dog got out of my yard. Turns out I was having some sort of fit and frightening people with my antics.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:51 PM   #2
Junkyard
Were you also babbling incoherently? I am guessing the neighbors did not understand a single thing you were barking about.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
Junkyard
Wait, that should read "wer u not talking enough to be herd? no one cuod undrtand u"

Old 03-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
ms_terese
First of all, let me assure you that you are not alone in your dismay over the dismal standards that written communication is now held to. It is abominable.

I want to know if your dog left your yard during this incident. I've never lived anywhere that had a law against a dog running and barking on its own property!

Old 03-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #5
hhmoore
as long as they left off the word NAKED, I think everything will be ok

Old 03-01-2006, 02:06 PM   #6
Junkyard
Maybe you should try and plead your case, I am sure everyone would have a good laugh and the officer would be left the fool.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:28 PM   #7
LakesideBoas
Try reading the news...

I don't even try to read the newspaper here anymore. These people went to classes to learn how to communicate via the written word and they usually screw something up on a daily basis. Of course, I do live in Indiana...

Harold, you really shouldn't bark at your neighbors, they'll get you a padded room at the Looney Hotel if you keep it up!

Old 03-01-2006, 03:48 PM   #8
hhmoore
Terese - He was at the front of my house when I walked outside, he may well have gone as far as the neighbor's yard. He (Blade) won't tell me because he's afraid I'll yell at him for getting me in trouble

Michael - Too late. I had my day in court...wasted the whole morning there, lol. I don't know how much it would matter since the ticket clearly stated unleashed dog.

Maggie - The deposition only stated that I was "running lose unleashed all over the place scaring people". There was no mention of me barking at them (that was Michael).

Old 03-01-2006, 04:11 PM   #9
LakesideBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
Maggie - The deposition only stated that I was "running lose unleashed all over the place scaring people". There was no mention of me barking at them (that was Michael).
Ah, well, that's a good thing then! Although I did reserve you the room next to mine in case you needed it!

Old 03-01-2006, 04:35 PM   #10
hhmoore
I could certainly use a mini vacation...would they let me out in 4 days?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!