Incubators? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
LampropeltisCollector
Incubators?

I want to know what you guys use, and if I can make a home made one. I want to start breeding snakes, specifically Bullsnakes, and I want to know how you guys do it. I'm only 16, so I need all the info I can get.
Thanks,
Jordan

Old 04-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
annmikeal
Ive read a lot about people making incubators out of old refrigerators... If you have the space and a little bit of cash Im sure that you could find one pretty cheap on craigslist. This is my first year breeding and right now Im just using a hovabator, water in the bottom, with an exo terra digital thermometer Good Luck

Old 07-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
Wade'sWildColubrids
Haha, another 16 yr. old! Looks like i'm not alone after all! A great incubator that is pretty new and works quite well is the Exo Terra Incubator. I currently have one with a clutch of Rosy Ratsnake eggs incubating in it. It's about $150 and has the ability to heat AND cool. The only bad thing about it is it is kinda small, about the size of a mini refridgerator.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
hhmoore
You don't need an incubator for bullsnake eggs....I have mine on a shelf in the closet.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
BobOblak
I made my first incubator from a plastic coleman ice chest and a gallon jar of water with an aquarium heater in it. water evaporation kept the humidity up and it worked fine if you dont have tons of eggs.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
jack2682
I made my incubator out of a Tropicana commercial fridge with a glass door. I found it on craigslist for $70 bucks.... lined the sides with 11" flexwatt, drilled a hole for the thermostat probe, installed a computer case fan with an led light in it... viola! Do a little research and make your own....Fun and you can build one with far more space than the commercially available ones for about the same price.....

heres a link to a good "how to"......good luck

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/incubator.shtml

Old 08-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
Lucas339
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
You don't need an incubator for bullsnake eggs....I have mine on a shelf in the closet.
you closet must be heated!!

look around for cheap mini fridges. i have seen them on craigslist for 20 bucks. or just ask around. if they are broken and no good to someone, they are good to you!

Old 08-29-2011, 01:50 AM   #8
jefftaylor05
Don't use the Exo Terra incubator. the cooling mechanism failed and I have potentially lost thousands of dollars worth of panther chameleon eggs.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:40 AM   #9
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas339 View Post
you closet must be heated!!
Not at all - bullsnake eggs don't require high temperatures....by the time they are laid, it's at least in the 70s (snake room in the 80s). In fact, if it creeps toward the mid 80s, I'm usually looking for a cooler place to put them. Usually takes around 72 days to hatch, but I get big healthy babies.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!