Child found home alone with 19 snakes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
smb2585
Child found home alone with 19 snakes

They had to of course put emphasis and single out the 14 ft python... seriously???? and "potentially dangerous" ??

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_n...with-19-snakes

Child found home alone with 19 snakes
19 snakes, two bearded dragons, two pit bulls
Updated: Thursday, 14 Jul 2011, 2:21 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 14 Jul 2011, 12:15 PM EDT

SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) - A Suffolk father was arrested and charged after allegedly leaving his child home alone with nearly two dozen potentially-dangerous animals.

Emmanuel Velazquez, 28, was charged with cruelty and injuries to children, and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, according to Suffolk police spokesperson Debbie George.

On July 2, Velazquez' 7-year-old son called police to let them know that his dog was missing.

Police came to the house in the 100 block of Majestic Drive and discovered the child was home alone with 19 snakes, one of which was a 14-foot Python, two bearded dragons and two pit bulls. There were also feeder mice found in the home.

Police asked where the mother was in all of this, and the child said they were divorced. Police told WAVY.com it is legal for the homeowner to have the animals.

George said days before the incident, the 7-year-old's younger brother, a 5-year-old, was found walking on Godwin Boulevard by a passerby.

Velazquez told police that the child had left the house while he was sleeping.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
redhood23
That is the most retarded article I have ever read. Who cares that he has pets! I have never heard of a fatal beardie attack either, so how are they potentially dangerous? will they sit on your shoulder to death? lol. Also, why do people get arrested for having large snakes? More people die from cats and dogs than snakes every year, so why don't they start arresting people for having them as well? I work in a hospital in the center of texas and see more dog and cat attacks than snake bites, attacks, or even any injury related to them. Why do you think the media and people have such a disliking for reptiles? This makes me hate people even more than I already do!

Old 07-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Wade'sWildColubrids
I love how they mentioned that "feeder mice were found in the home" as if it's a big deal. Ridiculous.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
redhood23
The media is made up of a bunch of uneducated retards.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Wolfy-hound
The dogs and the 14 ft python are all capable of hurting the kid. I doubt that any would, but in some states, you are not supposed to leave a 7 year old home by themselves, pets or no pets.

Deliquency of a minor though? Huh? For leaving him at home? "cruelty and injuries to children, and contributing to the delinquency of a minor" tells me that there's more going on than "snakes in the home" which the article focused on. It does say that the 3 year old was found wandering the streets a few days before, so obviously the man wasn't caring for his kids.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:00 AM   #6
Magic Merlin
This moron is too stupid to be allowed to own pets or to even have unsupervised visits with his children. The possible tragic events are numerous:
1)kid opens door and lets dogs out and dogs get hit by a car, or stolen, or bite someone, or get in a fight with another dog, or get blamed for something they did not do. We don't need irresponsible people giving ammunition to pitbull haters.
2)kid could play with the dogs or the mice and then open the python's cage and the snake could defensive strike the child or grab the child that smells like prey.......I have bred burmese and had many snakes that were very aggressive when they smelled food and were hungry.
3)kid could be abducted
4)kid could choke on a cheeto......lol.....fine, kid could choke on a hotdog
5)kid could start a fire cooking hotdog
6)kid could get bitten when dogs try to take the hotdog away or kid could get bitten breaking up the 2 pits as they are fighting over the hotdog...........btw, I owned a pitbull rescue years ago and the only time they ever got into fights is over human food treats.
7)kid could stick something in an electrical socket and die from the shock
8)kid could.........

The possibilities are endless and our hobby does not need the bad press.......throw him in prison and let the lifers deliver their brand of justice.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
smb2585
it is so ridiculous. I mean I can understand charging him with endangerment of a child or whatever leaving the kid alone and having another kid earlier found walking the streets but havin to mention "19 snakes, 2 pitbulls, feeder rats" is excessive... makes me want to send the dude a nasty letter in jail for being so stupid about things.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
Morelia4life
Yep. You have to watch out for those beardies, they are a vicious lizard. I remember one time I was feeding my beardie by hand and he bit me so hard that I had to put a band-aid on my finger. Geeze.... think about all the blood lost that I could have had if I didn't have a band aid available. Who in their right mind would leave a beardie alone with a child?? That is just insane.......

Just another retarded article written by retarded people, informing more of the zombie public about something in which the media knows nothing about. (Sighs).

Old 07-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
akaangela
Come on everyone this is serious. The kids where in danger of being KILLED by those feeder mice. I mean they could have chewed the kids to ribbons, then the snakes would have squeezed what was left of the life out of them and then the dogs would have eaten the scraps. OMG can't forget the dragons. You know if they got out they would have killed everyone...(I am not sure how, maybe with their killer eyes)

I only agree that the man needed to watch the kids closer. Kids escape their cages, I mean houses. However it is very possible there is more than meets the eye in this case. I hate it when our hobby gets bashed.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
BobOblak
"Emmanuel Velazquez, 28, was charged with cruelty and injuries to children, and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, according to Suffolk police spokesperson Debbie George."

This shows that there are already laws in place to deal with irresponsible adults exposing children to potential danger, and therefore, that blanket laws specifically prohibiting ownership of certain animals are unnecessary and only harm responsible people.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!