why my asian water died - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-12-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
will11780
why my asian water died

Friday my asian water monitor died i found her dead at about 4pm but had checked on her before i went anywhere at 11am and she was just fine alert and fiesty i only had her 4 days she had been feeding on dubia in the days before her passing her tank had a basking spot of 120 and had a cool side of about 90 her night time temp was 85 when i found her dead i also found a dubia that she had brought back up not far from her im at a loss with this one she was such a great example of a monitor i was looking forward to building her room within the next year or so she was only bout 14-16 inches she was still very young im just wondering if anyone can tell me what might have went wrong i was just getting back into waters cuz i had to get rid of mine awhile back so i was excited to get another already had tank and everything set up before bringing her home did i do something wrong or was she just sick and the stress of the move killed her

Old 09-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
MDC_Ophiuchus
After only 4 days, I really wouldn't think it was anything you did. Your temps and care wasn't bad, so I would assume it was something already affecting her before you acquired her.

My guess would be that she was likely a wildcaught import and perhaps a large internal parasite load. Not sure...maybe some monitor experts can hop on here and offer better advice.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
BobOblak
How big were the roaches?
I have experienced problems with large roaches as food. I have had constipation problems with smaller animals that largely swallow food whole without chewing them, such as monitors, because the large exoskeleton segments can cause blockages when they accumulate in the GI tract. The exoskeleton segments also have sharp edges that can cause lacerations, especially if the animal is regurging. I have not experienced this problem with lizards that thoroughly chew their food prior to swallowing, such as dragons and various insectivorous iguanids. I now avoid using large roaches for comparatively small lizards. If you get another baby monitor, I would suggest not offering roaches over 1/2"

Old 09-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Wolfy-hound
I'd also reccomend you get a more appropriate cage than a tank. Monitors need humidity and it's near impossible to keep the humidity proper in a tank. If you can make a enclosure with a front opening it would lessen stress on the animal too.

4 days isn't a long time, but if it was really active and fine just before being found dead, I'd wonder what happened too. Were there any bug sprays, room fresheners or carpet cleaners used in the room? Any way it could get to the electric heat/bulb?

Old 09-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
will11780
I dont use bug sprays or any type of sprays in my house about the only spray cleaners or anything like that i keep in the house is a bottle that has dawn and water in it and sorry for sayin she was in a tank i call all my enclosures tanks most of my critters are in cages i built she was in a 4 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot that i had my other monitor in 6 months ago and nothin in it since i dont think she could have gotten electricuted she was under her log hide

Old 09-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
Wolfy-hound
Sounds like you'd have to fall back on possible parasites or something from beforehand. If you could send her out for a necropsy that'd be about the only thing I could think of to let you know what killed her.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
will11780
Thanks for the help with this i know i only had her a few days but it was hard losing her cuz i had waited so long to get another one it was a joy having her again thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!