"Deadly Boa Constrictor" found in Walmart Bag - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
millipede
"Deadly Boa Constrictor" found in Walmart Bag

Is is just me, or does this not resemble a boid at ALL? You also have to love the 'vet' who claims they have hazardous germs in their saliva.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Focal
I think the link is no good. It's asking me to pay to watch.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
millipede
Can you see the article? The link works for me, not sure what's going on. But here's a picture of the snake:

Old 07-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
aleria
> It looks like some common snake you'd find outside in the grass. Nothing big, scary and dangerous that's for sure. I highly doubt it was someone's pet, much more likely the thing made it's way inside and somehow ended up in the bag.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
millipede
Also, the snake was smashed to death by the buffoon who found it. The report pretty much condones it.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
hypoboa1234
lol this was at my local wally world people can be so ridiculous i swear....thats some boa smh!!!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
BobOblak
It looks like some type of Nerodia, and not a very healthy one at that.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
millipede
For those who can't see the link, here are some quotes:

"...while not poisonous it can grow up to 14 feet and weight 60 pounds. Although it's not poisonous the snake can still be very dangerous because just one bite from that baby boa could make you really sick."

Dr. Steven Katz, a veterinarian and state assemblyman: "The bacteria from these snake's mouths even though they're not poisonous snakes, many of them are very harmful to human beings."

"The proteins in them can cause an allergic reaction that could potentially kill you also."

The snake was smashed with a 2x4 after popping out of a shopping bag at the man's home (and it's just assumed it came from Walmart).

Quote:
Shopper finds snake in his bag after shopping at WC Walmart

(07/17/11) MOHEGAN LAKE - One Walmart shopper got a slithery surprise when a snake popped out of his shopping bag after leaving the store in Mohegan Lake on Friday night.

Greg Kane says he found the snake when he set the bag down on his counter at home. He says he killed the snake and took the remains back to Walmart to try and sort out where the snake came from. He even called police in to try and determine where the snake came from.

The snake was identified as a baby boa constrictor and while not poisonous can carry harmful bacteria in its mouth, according to a veterinarian.

Kane says he believes that this was a prank and that someone put the snake near all the shopping bags.
---http://www.news12.com/articleDetail....news_type=news

Old 07-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #9
Scaled Perfection
lol this is rediculious. How many boa herpers have been bitten and have died from bacteria or had an allergic reaction from protiens? If it even was an Boa (cant see picture and link doesnt work). This story obviously has been tainted with propaganda just to instill more fear into the ignorant who take this article seriously.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #10
Morelia4life
God...... people are so stupid. All I have to say.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!