MY SWEET AND BEAUTIFUL BABY - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-15-2019, 01:28 AM   #1
WILD BILL245
MY SWEET AND BEAUTIFUL BABY

Just Wanted To Show Off My Sweet And Beautiful Retic Baby I Got Last Wednesday.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2019, 07:21 AM   #2
Socratic Monologue
I don't keep (or know much about) retics, but that is a beautiful snake!

How is her/his personality?

Old 04-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #3
bcr229
She's a cutie!

Old 04-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #4
chrisis697
Beautiful Bill!!

Old 04-15-2019, 04:24 PM   #5
WILD BILL245
She Is So Sweet. Never Tried To Bite And Since Saturday When I Put Her In Her New Aquarium She Has Adapted To Her New Home Very Well. She Is Almost Four Ft In Length. I Would Welcome Any Information From Retic Owners That Might Help Me Bring Her Up Right. I Did Read Somewhere That Prehistoric Pets Breed And Have Normal Size Mainland Retics And Through Control Feeding ( Not Overfeeding Their Snakes ) Keep Them At A 9 To 10 Ft Size. I Have A Healthy Yellow Female Anaconda I Got In 2008 And She Just Finished Shedding And I Measured Her At 8 Ft And As Big Around As My Arm. I An 5 Ft 4 Inches Tall. I Don't Starve My Snakes But I Do Feed Every Two Weeks Except Her Which I Now Feed Once A Month A Lg Fat Pre-Killed Rat.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #6
Krj-2501
Jay of Prehistoric pets does state that the growth rate of retics (and other large constrictors) can be control through their food in take. And this is back up by several other breeders who I have heard stating this as well.

But at no time does Jay or any other breeder state that a normal mainland retic will only get to be only 9-10 feet as a full grown(15-20 year old) adult. It is possible through feeding to slow grow a mainland retic so that it may take 6-9 years for it to get larger 10 feet. But eventually the mainland retic will get larger than 10 feet. While a mainland retic which is slow grown - may never get to be an 18+ foot snake - it will still likely get to be at least 11-15 feet long (depending on it's gender).

The only way to get a retic to stay that size or smaller for it's entire life is for it to either be a pure dwarf or have a fairly high percentage(50+ %) of super dwarf blood.

Case in point - I presently have a 2018 female which is 25 % Kalatoa(super dwarf) blood - and I am still expecting her to eventually reach at least 11-12 feet. And that is with fairly modest feeding - prey size equal to snake's girth about once every 10-14 days.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #7
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krj-2501 View Post
I presently have a 2018 female which is 25 % Kalatoa(super dwarf) blood - and I am still expecting her to eventually reach at least 11-12 feet. And that is with fairly modest feeding - prey size equal to snake's girth about once every 10-14 days.
She might get a touch bigger. My 50% SD females are five year old sisters and about ten feet. One is about six inches longer than the other because the smaller one had an intestine infection that required surgery, so her food intake was limited for a few months while she healed up.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:36 PM   #8
WILD BILL245
My Mistake. Thank You For The Correction. I Am Not Sure If My Pretty Female Has And Dwarf Or Not But I Can Find Out From Where I Got Her. I Just Know She Is So Sweet, Calm, And A Joy To Have Around. I Am Blessed To Have Found Her.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:38 AM   #9
Krj-2501
It's more likely her sweet, & calm disposition is due to her being captive bred, and likely being handle shortly after hatching. I presently have 4 retics - all have very calm, sweet & curious temperaments.

I will agree that to own such retics is definitely a pleasure and blessing.

BTW - Nice looking Purple Albino

Old 04-21-2019, 03:20 AM   #10
WILD BILL245
Well Thank You For Your Comments. I Have Kept Snakes Since The Mid Seventies And She Has to Be At The Top As One Of The Nicest Snakes I Have Ever Had. The Only Snake I Have Never Owned Is A Woma And I Hope Someday To Own One. Right Now I Own Four Two Of Which Are New One Of Which Is A Baby Male Burmese. He Is Sweet As Can Be To. It's All How You Bring Them Up. SHOCKER!!! My Eight Ft Yellow Anaconda Is A Big Baby And Is Sweet As Can Be To.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!