Help with feeding boa small size rodents - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-07-2006, 09:29 PM   #1
dijarie
Help with feeding boa small size rodents

I am getting a boa through a rescue, I assume it is a common red tail but they did not say. It is 6' long. The problem is all I have are 100 pinkies, 200 fuzzies, and 200 hoppers all mice. Is it okay to feed a red tail mice hoppers, and if so how many should I feed it? need help ASAP
Thanks

Old 06-07-2006, 09:39 PM   #2
varnyard
If it is 6 ft long, it would take a pile of hopper mice. I would even kind of doubt he would even show a interest in such a small prey item.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
dijarie
Thanks for the info, I guess I will have to break open my piggy bank and get a bunch of rats online, for now I can either give him a ton of hoppers or try to go to petco and find some frozen rats. Last time I went to petco they didnt even have frozen pinkies so I doubt they have frozen rats but I don't know. If anyone else has some experience with this, more information would be appricated like how many hoppers I should give him for now.

Or if anyone would like to trade pinkies/fuzzies for a decent amount of rats let me know.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #4
Mike Greathouse
Andy,
Where in Florida are you?

We really should try and have this thread moved from the classifieds to the boa discussion forum - any moderators around?

Thanks,

Old 06-07-2006, 10:01 PM   #5
Cat_72
Like Bobby said, it may be debateable whether he will even show any interest in a prey item that small as a hopper mouse. You'd be much better off getting him an appropriate sized food item. You can order frozen rats online for about $1.25 apiece, or you could buy a live rat and feed it p/k. Do you know what he's used to eating?

Old 06-07-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
dijarie
I just learned he's only eaten live medium-large rats so I don't think i can get him to eat frozen hoppers. I also have 1 live mouse, 3 dead mice, and 1 dead hamster. Maybe I should buy 1 frozen rat and try to get him to eat it because buying live can get expensive.

I am new to this site and I didn't know this was only classifieds

Old 06-07-2006, 10:27 PM   #7
Cat_72
OOOPS, I didn't even notice it was in the classifieds, lol. I'm sure a mod can get it moved to the discussion forum.

Can I ask why he's a "rescue" to begin with? Is there health issues, was he not taken care of....?

Buying live can get expensive, but if that's all he's ever eaten, it may take awhile to get him switched to eating f/t.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:55 PM   #8
dijarie
I tried to reply to a PM from before cat but your inbox is full. He is in good shape but needed to be gone ASAP because the owners had him in their 2 year old grandsons play room and didn't want to take any chances. He is probably not classified as a rescue compaired to other poor snakes I've seen.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:14 AM   #9
Cat_72
Oops, sorry about that....I made some room now if you want to try it again.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:27 AM   #10
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
Andy,
Where in Florida are you?
If you're not too far away, I may be able to hook you up with some appropriately-sized rats.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!