Bad Guy Kathy from Small Wonders - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
Playnwifsnot
Kathy from Small Wonders

A the Taylor reptile show today my friend stopped by her table and was excited to see what she had. He asked her to hold 2 of the girls and even offered her some money to hold onto them for him while e went to find me to tell me what he found, she said no that was ok that wasnt needed she would hold them for him. A few minutes later he comes back to me to tell me that when he went back to go buy them, she instead turned around and sold the animal right infront of him. Thankfully she didnt sell the other one he sold. Bad buisness woman, I will never consider buying from her.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
critical bill
Did you ever think that maybe you're the one to blame? I mean if it weren't for the fact that HE had to check with YOU first, HE probably would have pulled the trigger on the deal and had the animals HE wanted.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:26 PM   #3
SPJ
I can't blame her for not holding them if a buyer came forward after your friend left.
Do you know how many people come up to tables at shows and say "I wan't that, hold it for me until later" and they NEVER come back?
From the sound of it, your friend may not have even bought the animals after talking with you.
Why would the seller lose a definite sale waiting on someone who may or may not ever come back and actually buy the animals?

Old 11-08-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
MDC_Ophiuchus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
I can't blame her for not holding them if a buyer came forward after your friend left.
Do you know how many people come up to tables at shows and say "I wan't that, hold it for me until later" and they NEVER come back?
From the sound of it, your friend may not have even bought the animals after talking with you.
Why would the seller lose a definite sale waiting on someone who may or may not ever come back and actually buy the animals?
I definitely agree with that. After all, money talks.

However....

Quote:
she said "no that was ok that wasnt needed" and she would hold them for him.
...if she did indeed told him that and then sold them out from underneath him, I think that's a little underhanded. I mean, if she didn't want to hold the snakes for him to begin with, she should have been upfront about it, and not lie to him.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:47 PM   #5
JudyC
Seems like a very simple solution in such a situation would be to say, "I'll hold the animals for xx minutes, for you." And then, if someone else shows interest, the seller can say, "I promised this guy I'd hold them for xx minutes. If he doesn't come back, they're yours."

Sounds like an awkward situation this seller put themselves into...but that doesn't make someone a bad guy.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:47 AM   #6
norsmis
I wont hold an animal at a show either unless it's PAID for. I have heard the ol I'll be back to get it later story too many times. I tell people up front I will not hold it unless I see cash. Yes the person did offer to put a deposit down but again, it's not PAID in full. Sorry but this does not make this seller a bad person!

Old 11-09-2008, 06:49 AM   #7
hhmoore
Before this goes any further....
The OP is posting about a transaction he was not a part of....AND the whole story is nothing but an anonymous third party quotation.
Since the whole thing was supposedly relayed to him by an unnamed friend, how can we accept that things went as described? How much time really went by before he went back to try to buy the animals? Was it really just "a few minutes", or did the person wander the show looking for a better deal?

Old 11-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
MDC_Ophiuchus
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsmis View Post
I wont hold an animal at a show either unless it's PAID for. I have heard the ol I'll be back to get it later story too many times. I tell people up front I will not hold it unless I see cash. Yes the person did offer to put a deposit down but again, it's not PAID in full. Sorry but this does not make this seller a bad person!
Even if she deliberately lied to him, saying that she would hold the animals for him? Like I said, I totally agree with "no holds until money changes hands" thing but (assuming everything the OP said is true) she specifically made a gentlemen's agreement to hold the animals for the guy and did not hold up her end of the deal by selling them while he was gone. We call that lying here in the States.

Quote:
The OP is posting about a transaction he was not a part of....AND the whole story is nothing but an anonymous third party quotation.
Since the whole thing was supposedly relayed to him by an unnamed friend, how can we accept that things went as described? How much time really went by before he went back to try to buy the animals? Was it really just "a few minutes", or did the person wander the show looking for a better deal?
I agree. Have either of the two involved parties been notified of this thread?

Old 11-09-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
dprince
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
Seems like a very simple solution in such a situation would be to say, "I'll hold the animals for xx minutes, for you." And then, if someone else shows interest, the seller can say, "I promised this guy I'd hold them for xx minutes. If he doesn't come back, they're yours."

Sounds like an awkward situation this seller put themselves into...but that doesn't make someone a bad guy.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
David Scarboro
I do not do reptile shows anymore. However, I do run a business. I will take a partial payment on an item. I will not take a deposit. Deposits are usually refundable, partial payments are not.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!