Eastern Indigo's - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
lillyorchid
Eastern Indigo's

Does anyone know what permits or paper work a Maryland Resident would need to fill out to own an Eastern Indigo snake? I can't find anything pertaining needing a permit to own one while living in Maryland, but needing one over state lines? I'm being told that I will need a permit either way to own one. I'm confused since I'm reading that I will need a permit to own one since they are an endangered species. I'm also reading that you may or may not need a permit to own one even if it's a captive bred animal. Any and all information is greatly appreciated! I'd like to get one at some point (a captive bred one)

Old 10-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
you need a federal permit to own them(transport across state lines), unless they are bred in the state, and there is paperwork to prove this. ( and then any other applicable state permits and such) Pretty sure. But others who know more about it, can CERTAINLY tell you the specifics.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
evilcowboy420
Yeah I wanted one of these and was looking into getting the permits but I think it is a federal permit. I found out that much when I found out they were Endangered.

These snakes get big and I have heard they hurt like crap when you get bit my one because of the amount of muscle in their jaws. Very beautiful snakes. I have only seen one in the wild as a kid in Florida. I am taking it they were rare then and that was in the 80's.

Too much trouble for me so I moved on to snakes I could have lol.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
flboy21283
Please check out www.indigosforever.org for a complete list of permits and applications for every state. Also, i keep the 5 drymarchon species, and they're amazing animals to work with. I would not however want to get bit by one. An adult dry could easily crush metacarpals with a good chomp.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
MikeCurtin
Hehe...I will be in touch when I decide i'm ready to pull the trigger on getting some of these.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #6
Vic Herrick
Wink Permits for D. couperi

Dear Allison,

An interstate commerce permit via the USFWS is needed if you buy or trade or sell an Eastern indigo over state lines. Some states require additional permits, and you should contact your State department of Fish & Game or its equivalent and inquire about Maryland. Try to get it in writing. If you buy from a breeder within Maryland the commerce permit from the USFWS is not needed. This permit cost about $100.00, and it is not difficult to get, but is tedious because you typically have to wait 6-12 weeks to get it, the delays are unexplained. I have been on both sides of the permit, both buying and selling, and it is not hard but it takes patience. Eastern Indigos are really fun, and once you get the permit(s), you will be glad you did and enjoy them. Because D. couperi is a Federally listed threatened species, they come under a lot of scrutiny and violations are serious, they play hard ball!... not worth messing around! Most responsible breeders will assist you with the interstate commerce permit if needed.

good luck, BTW, I think folks are overstating the hazardz of a Drymarchon bite, though they do indeed have formidable dentition. Mine are puppy dog tame, but they can get excited about feeding...Vic

Old 01-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
Vic Herrick
http://www.indigosforever.org/index.php?pid=4

James (Flyboy) referred you to a good source, see if this link works...I do not see Marlyland listed, but i would not rest easy until you check the Maryland Fish and Game department or Dept. of Natural Resources or it's equivalent. I think you will be OK in Maryland, but you are wise to check and have it in writing. good luck, they are fun, not for everyone, but for those of us with indigos, we are passionate about them. I have reduced my other reptiles so as to have more time for my Eastern Indigos, which keep me busy. Vic

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!