"New" member intro - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
timebider
"New" member intro

Hi, all! I've been a registered member since 2006 though I really only became active two weeks ago.

Right after I joined Fauna in 2006, we had an electrical house fire. We were displaced for 9 months and I lost my entire collection of herps (some didn't make it; others did but because we had to live in a hotel and then a rental apartment, I couldn't keep them and had to give them to a local reptile rescue). At the time, I was breeding corns and I also had a couple GTPs and two small boas - over 40 snakes in all, plus a Savannah monitor, breeding pair of beardies, two chameleons, two tanks of dart frogs and a tank of red-eyed green tree frogs. I found out the hard way that live animals, while legally considered property, are not covered for care nor loss under typical homeowner policies. So I was on my own with an emergency vet bill of $8k to treat the survivors.

It's been a couple years of dealing with corrupt contractors and dishonest insurance reps as well as intensive therapy for my son, who developed severe PTSD after the fire. I recently started to get "the itch" for herps again, which reminded me of the existence of this site. Diddling around on Fauna, I was amazed to find that I was still a registered member!

I'm (very slowly!) getting going in herps again but this time around I'm being a lot more selective about the animals I choose to keep and breed. I prefer to have a handful of high-quality animals rather than several less-expensive ones of unknown and/or questionable breeding. Also, my husband is somewhat freaked out by the fact that I am now "known" to animal control as an exotics breeder (apparently the firemen were frightened by all the snakes, so I'm on the radar). It'll be a slow process of several years starting back up but I hope to have a legitimate, respectable herp business eventually.

It's good to have rediscovered this community!

Long-winded Lynn

Old 03-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
Greetings Lynn, and welcome (back)!!

Old 03-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Tiger Lilly
Glad to see you in here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timebider View Post
Also, my husband is somewhat freaked out by the fact that I am now "known" to animal control as an exotics breeder (apparently the firemen were frightened by all the snakes, so I'm on the radar). It'll be a slow process of several years starting back up but I hope to have a legitimate, respectable herp business eventually.
It's good to have rediscovered this community!
Long-winded Lynn
In light of the event, (which I'm truly sorry for), the visual on that is just funny--big, bad firemen run into fire, but get frightened by the reptiles!
You are up & about early--glad to see you holding true to your word. I take it you've been reading A LOT, huh? I've already sent off my emails to help with the cause. Hopefully there are enough of us to keep bills/legislation like this from passing!

Old 03-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Jerry_c_62
Welcom back, I hope it is all you remember and more.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
timebider
Thanks!

Thanks, John, Troi and Jerry!

Troi, I admit, I can't prevent a major eye-roll whenever I recall the AC woman explaining that they were called by the firefighters because those big, strapping men were scared of the snakes...that were all hiding in secured tanks...

I am thinking of showing up in person to deliver my letters. You never see the congresspeople, but it makes an impression on the staff when you feel strongly enough to go to the offices.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!