Flexwatt question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 04-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Paige n' James
Flexwatt question

HI,
I am not electrically inclined and my husband doesn't know the answer.

Can I use one thermostat for 3 inch heat tape and 11 inch heat tapes if it has the same wattage?

Thanks, Paige

Old 04-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
defcon222
I'd proabably use two thermostats just to be safe. I'd rather spend the extra $50-$100 to not cook something

I do have a 4" rack and 3" rack on the same t-stat, but they're both on dimmer switches that I adjusted until they matched temps (I bought the 3" b mistake).

Old 04-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
hhmoore
You can.....but don't expect them to operate at the same temperatures, just because they are on the same thermostat.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
Paige n' James
That is exactly what I needed to know. I know the sizes are different but they are both the same wattage. If they won't stay the same I won't take any kind of chances like that with my babes. I owe it to them to be safe. : )

Was just hoping to limit my number of thermostats. Happy Friday!!

Old 04-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #5
Metachrosis
Look into the Ultra-therm Heat mats
Much better quality for the money then the old flex watt,
temps wont spike over 100*F like the flex watt
(even the low watt stuff spikes)

Old 04-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
Paige n' James
Thanks for your input Tommy. Had I gone that route to begin with would have stayed with it but I have a lot invested in the heat tape, thermostat and misc. V/R Paige

Old 10-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
stevek123
You can run different lengths of flex watt on the same thermostat providing the flexwatt is the same width.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
KRAZE
I run 25' of 4" belly heat on my smaller bins, the style where it wraps through all shelves in one piece, and then I have 11" on my 8 larger tubs in 1foot sections all jumped together... Right now the stat runs at 88 on the 4" and with the 11" on the same stat it runs those bins at 81-82 which is perfect for right now since that's where all the breeders are. They will have to be moved to another stat again in a few weeks since there is no happy medium between the two

Old 11-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
suzuki4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek123 View Post
You can run different lengths of flex watt on the same thermostat providing the flexwatt is the same width.
you could but its not advised. Draw would be different.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
suzuki4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZE View Post
I run 25' of 4" belly heat on my smaller bins, the style where it wraps through all shelves in one piece, and then I have 11" on my 8 larger tubs in 1foot sections all jumped together... Right now the stat runs at 88 on the 4" and with the 11" on the same stat it runs those bins at 81-82 which is perfect for right now since that's where all the breeders are. They will have to be moved to another stat again in a few weeks since there is no happy medium between the two
are those temps of the flexwatt or cage temps?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!