"Pastel Sibling" from Mack Snow X Urban Tang Cross - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-09-2005, 05:00 PM   #11
Chris@TSE
But what throws me off is with the supersnow sire, the baby would have to be a Mack Snow, not a pastel - wouldn't it? One male is pale lavender and pale yellow, the lavender on his clutchmate is starting to yellow up.

Simple... Mack Snows Hatch Grey\Black. Always. They can quickly take on color however.... Depending on the cross

Old 08-09-2005, 05:39 PM   #12
leaftail
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelfExotics
But what throws me off is with the supersnow sire, the baby would have to be a Mack Snow, not a pastel - wouldn't it? One male is pale lavender and pale yellow, the lavender on his clutchmate is starting to yellow up.

Simple... Mack Snows Hatch Grey\Black. Always. They can quickly take on color however.... Depending on the cross
But, genetically, isnt she right? If the sire is a Super, then don't all the babies HAVE to be co-dom?

Old 08-09-2005, 05:46 PM   #13
Chris@TSE
yes.... if the sire is a super then all babies theoretically would have to be codom at least.... unless the female was retaining sperm from a previous pairing. Or perhaps a fluke? Not sure, I have yet to see a mack hatch OUT OF THE EGG displaying any coloration whatsoever. I'd like to see a photo of this animal in question out of the egg. Within a matter of weeks however the same black and grey mack can look completely different, displaying quite a bit of color.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:49 PM   #14
Lizard Lair
My Mack snows don't always hatch grey/black. Some of them have yellow tint right out of the egg. I feel confident the pastelish ones are Mack Snows, after all they have to be because of the sire. But some are definitely pastel looking. Perhpaps the Macks should be considered in color quality grades like the line-bred snows are. Because pastel is also an issue in the line-breds. A c grade line bred snow can look like a pastel, but it isn't.

Shelly

Old 08-09-2005, 06:14 PM   #15
Chris@TSE
Until proven otherwise I think I would refrain from selling any of those types of animals as macks

I have a few that hatched out yellow as well, I would not go as far as you can call them macks, but thats why we've held them to prove. Im very careful not to give anything a title until proven

Good Luck!

Old 08-09-2005, 07:10 PM   #16
Vince
sweet, so is the sibling worth more then the snow?

Old 08-09-2005, 07:22 PM   #17
Lizard Lair
I talked to Alex about it a while back, and he reassurred me that if the sire was my supersnow, then the babies are definite macks no matter the color. Heck - I'm holding back most of my stuff anyway for breeding next year, and I have faith in the co-dom gene. It is either co-dom, or not, I should think that there is no halfway point on that issue.

Shelly

Old 08-09-2005, 09:14 PM   #18
Chris@TSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
sweet, so is the sibling worth more then the snow?
Leave it to Vince to jump into a mack related thread with something stupid!

Mind telling me how something that is UNPROVEN can even have a value yet?

Thanks.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:18 PM   #19
Chris@TSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard Lair
I talked to Alex about it a while back, and he reassurred me that if the sire was my supersnow, then the babies are definite macks no matter the color. Heck - I'm holding back most of my stuff anyway for breeding next year, and I have faith in the co-dom gene. It is either co-dom, or not, I should think that there is no halfway point on that issue.

Shelly
Yeah, they have to be. I'd still want to prove to erase any uncertainty myself but to each thier own. I've heard it from Alex a handful of times....... If it dosent hatch grey and black, its not a mack. Therefore if macks are hatching with coloration from a super pairing on your end, perhaps they can hatch with a bit of color from co dom pairings as well. This is why we're holding all "siblings".... perhaps late next season we'll have more answers. Till then the only macks im giving the 'title' are the ones I know for certain are indeed macks.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:39 AM   #20
Gekkonida
I have hatched out about 40% co-doms from mack co-dom to X and out of the sibs 50% are what I would call a mack pastel. I believe that I also have more than a few pastel mack co-dom snows. I am not sure if anyone has had the chance to breed mack pastel to pastel yet, but I am guessing it is dominant. Wouldn't a Mack super pastel be the bomb though!

As far as the genetics go on the sibs from a super well they are snows regardless of color. Unless, like Chris mentioned the female was retaining sperm from another breeding. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the mack co-dom snows had color on them from birth with some of the crosses. Obviously, the color mutation in the co-dom snows are variable unlike the super form so it shouldn't be out of the question that a co-dom snow could have color out of the egg.

All will be answered in time and isn't it FUN!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!