Thinking about geting a Emerald or Tree python some ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-27-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
nicoleballs
Thinking about geting a Emerald or Tree python some ?

Hi,

.My name is nicole..I have keeping and breeding reptile for over 10 years now..I have Bci,Sandboas,Rosy boas,cornsnakes and ball pythons so i have a little experice..I was thinking of getting something to put on dispaly in my living room..I just want to ask a couple of questions. If there something i missed that i should know just let me know..

What would be the best choice for a beginner? Emerald or Green tree
What would i need to set it up?The best cage /misting system ect..
What tricks do i need to know?Feeding/cleaning
Where to find a good breeder? prefer someone in The tristate were i can pick up..less stress on the animal

Anything that i am forgetting let me know..

thanks for your time Nicole

Old 01-28-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
The Nothing
IMO its really all up to you (though i'd got with an ETB)

ETBs and GTPs are so crazily similar...

I'd always suggest starting with a young neonate. The ontogenic color change that comes with these animals is nothing short of stunning, and you'd hate to miss it.

I tend to side with ETBs because they are larger animals. I know a hatchling GTP couldn't suck down a rat pink like ETBs can.

Caging is also up to you. Keep in mind, big cages with small animals usually gives you nervous animals, so caging will have to change with time. In my experience you can get away with 2 cages for the entire lifespan of an ETB. Starting with something equivallant to a 20gallon tank for the first year and a half to 2 years, then up to a larger Vision 222 sized enclosure.

I don't think misting systems are required for just one animal. Now, if you're breeding, then thats a different story. But if you must, BeanFarm does sell a great 4-nozzle misting system. Just cap off 2 or 3 of the nozzles and you'll be fine. Set the system to spray at 8am and 8pm for 3 minutes.

I think with time you'll come to realize that keeping ETBs and GTPs are just like keeping any other neotropical snake (like Brazilian Rainbows).

for more husbandry info I'd suggest checking out the following:
http://www.emeraldsoftheshield.com/
http://www.amazonbasins.com/

as for breeders
Definately check with Rico Walder at
http://www.signalherp.com
he does both ETBs and GTPs an is a GREAT guy that can also answer ANY question you have for him...

Old 01-28-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
ravensgait
I've kept both and would have to say that Chondro's are the easier of the two to keep.
Not a huge difference between the two but a difference none the less..

I'd suggest you get a well established Juvenile be it Emerald or Chondro, as dealing with a neonate of either can be tough at times.

Caging for youngsters?? I use tubs and as Issac said smaller is better they feel more secure.

You can find tons of info on the web about these guys enough to keep you reading for quite some time..

Any other question just ask and we'll do out best to help you out...Randy

Old 01-28-2007, 10:07 PM   #4
nicoleballs
re

Thanks everyone for the information..I just going to pick up the cage and everything else i need...I will read everything i can on them and i will decide no rush..I will post pictures when i get one....

Thank you for your time

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!