Ok...ATB not feeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-10-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
RosterImposter
Ok...ATB not feeding

The ATB the shed a couple weeks ago, hes doing great, but hes not eating. He hasnt eaten for maybe a month or more, same with my female.

Anyway, it seems to me they dont eat that often, they can still move around, the female still bites at me and the male is as calm as ever.
Maybe I should try some african soft furred rats, I heard they love those.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
The Nothing
hamsters tend to fire them off too...

are you feeding frozen?
how is their environment (temps)?

Old 03-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
hhmoore
I would initially make sure that you are providing the correct environment.
At what temperature and humidity are you keeping them?
What type of caging? and how is heat provided?
How much are you handling them?
What types of prey have you offered? (size, type, f/t or live, etc)
Do they show any interest in the prey at all?

Old 03-10-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
Serafim
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
I would initially make sure that you are providing the correct environment.
At what temperature and humidity are you keeping them?
What type of caging? and how is heat provided?
How much are you handling them?
What types of prey have you offered? (size, type, f/t or live, etc)
Do they show any interest in the prey at all?

My ATBs stopped eating for a bit when the cold weather set in. I found a big diffrence in the cage temps and humidity were the cause. They are back on their normal feed cycle. But mine will only eat in the dark

Old 03-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #5
WarrenReptiles
I have a neonate ATB I'm raising and it is feeding with zero issues on african soft fur rats. Has never refused a meal.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:18 AM   #6
RosterImposter
One is on newspaper, the other is on bark (switching to newspaper soon). Undertank heater for one, heat light for the other. Both are around 80-85 degrees, humidity for one is 100%, for the other its about 70%.
They are wild caught, so I figured live mice would be best. They are adult mice, they would stay in the cage for 5-7 days at a time before I would remove them.
I dont handle the female at all, and the male only when I change the news paper.

They dont seem to be interested in prey at all, however they are constantly smelling the air.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:37 AM   #7
ravensgait
WC are are a whole different story. How long have you had them??

I've dealt with a few WC ATBs over the years here is how I set mine up.

I use tubs(60+ or 90+ quart with one perch down the middle) in a rack with heat at one end. Hot end is low to mid 80s the cool end is low to mid 70s. The nice thing about a rack is they are covered on most sides and the top so the feel more secure.

Some with eat mice or rats right off others have to have them scented to get them to eat and there were some animals I've fed birds,frogs and lizards, hamsters and soft fur rats too so that I can build them up before forcing the issue.. I wouldn't leave the mice in there that long I'd put one in and if they haven't eaten it by morning take it out and try again in say a week.. If they don't eat it, it is just stressing them out having it in there.

I have a room for import quaranteen that is rather small and I only go in to feed and check on them once or twice a day. The less they are bothered the better and the quicker they adjust. Some have taken months before they would eat but when they decided to they ate from then on.

One thing about WC is that often they are very stressed and stress brings on other problems like parasite load.. The more stress the more parasites they will have, the problem with that is it can be the cause of them not eating which just makes things worse..

If your animals seem in pretty good weight and health then just try to wait them out. If they are thin a check for parasites is a good idea and then treating for what they have .. Hope this helps some...Randy

Old 03-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
RosterImposter
They seem fine, good weight and good attitude. I have a brother that works at Petco and he gets baby hamsters, Ill try those and see if they help.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:00 PM   #9
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosterImposter
One is on newspaper, the other is on bark (switching to newspaper soon). Undertank heater for one, heat light for the other. Both are around 80-85 degrees, humidity for one is 100%, for the other its about 70%.
They are wild caught, so I figured live mice would be best. They are adult mice, they would stay in the cage for 5-7 days at a time before I would remove them.
I dont handle the female at all, and the male only when I change the news paper.

They dont seem to be interested in prey at all, however they are constantly smelling the air.

Leaving live mice in a snakes cage for 5-7 days is probably whats stressing these animals out. Plus, you run the risk of them attacking/chewing on your snakes. Leaving live prey in with any snake is a big no no and you should never leave them unsupervised...

Old 03-16-2007, 12:23 AM   #10
RosterImposter
They didnt seem too stressed out by the mice, the mice just dug underneath the waterbowl and stayed there. I wasnt worried about the mice, I always put food in the cage for the mouse so they wouldnt be compelled to bite on the snake. Seems like the mice naturally knew to stay away from the snake.

This post is now useless! As I am glad to say, both are now feeding. I thought the mice I was giving them were big enough seeing how my corn snake is just as thick as them and eats the mice. My bro being as kind as he is, which is odd, put a medium sized rat in the cage with out my knowledge. To my surprise, she ate it pretty fast, I came home surprised to see a big lump in my snake's body.
My male is thinner than the female, so I got a small rat, and yup, not 10 minutes went by before he ate it. I started to think maybe they saw the mice and they were too small to even be prey. I think the smell of the rats had something to do with it as well.

Thanks to everybody that helped me, I appreciate it a lot!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!