Reptster Shipping - Page 16 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:20 AM   #151
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap
I'm sorry Steph, but that is just nuts to me. It is NEVER anyone's responsibility but your own to make sure you are educated on any subject.

"Oh it aint my fault, it is Reptsters fault for not educating me more betterer."

In all honesty, it is nothing more than simply taking responsibility for yourself.
I understand where you're coming from, Sammy...You have to admit that people in general are stupid and will point fingers when something goes wrong. I just think since Reptster wanted to start this program they should be willing to educate fully the inexperienced. No, they can't control whether or not someone actually follows the rules, but at least the information was provided so the shippers have no excuse other then they just didn't want to do it, which would be 100% on their butt, not Reptsters.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:14 AM   #152
shrap
Would it be convenient for Reptster to provide links to the actual Lacey Act? Sure, but there are so many other laws out there at the federal, state and local levels (many species specific), do you expect them to provide links to all of those as well? I personally think that is being unrealistic.

Again, it all falls back to taking responsibility for yourself. To educating yourself. Most of the information is already out there and readily available as it is, so I already feel people have no excuse.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:44 AM   #153
WingedWolf
I have to agree with shrap--it's not Reptster's responsibility to make sure people know all the details of how to ship reptiles, it's the responsibility of the people who are doing the shipping. There is more than one right way to do it, and there's always a possibility of something going wrong, even with one of the right ways--people need to do the research themselves, and make their own decisions.
If anything, they may want to put a message up stating that people should research this in advance--and leave it at that.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #154
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf
If anything, they may want to put a message up stating that people should research this in advance--and leave it at that.
I agree!
I think a disclaimer would be 100% Effective in covering Repsters butt on this, as well as getting the information out there to the effect that, Hey, do your research first!

Some people just dont get it, Even though the rest of us, are pretty good about it.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #155
shrap
I got one question to ask. Did you (you being anyone who wishes to respond) research shipping reptiles before you shipped your first time? Or did you just wing it without looking into it at all?

I think the vast majority of folks did some research. At least those that are here for more than a quick buck. You wont get those people to do it right no matter what anyway.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #156
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Would it be convenient for Reptster to provide links to the actual Lacey Act? Sure, but there are so many other laws out there at the federal, state and local levels (many species specific), do you expect them to provide links to all of those as well? I personally think that is being unrealistic.
No, and I said that some where in this thread.

Quote:
Did you (you being anyone who wishes to respond) research shipping reptiles before you shipped your first time? Or did you just wing it without looking into it at all?
My very first shipment(s) I did how I had received previously from other people. Admittedly, that was unlabeled because I had assumed how I had received reptiles from others was correct. It wasn't until, I dunno, 4-5 years ago that the Lacey Act became for front in the forums and I became aware of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf
There is more than one right way to do it, and there's always a possibility of something going wrong, even with one of the right ways--people need to do the research themselves, and make their own decisions.
Research is all fine and good if they have somewhere to start or a hint of what they're looking for. We all know the Lacey Act is there because we've dealt with it...But for the inexperienced, they would have no idea. I call BS on using liability as an excuse...The Act can just be linked and the reader can interpret how they chose with no liability to Reptster.

The FedEx Certification process also helps the whole shipping issue by requiring that they show they can ship properly.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #157
FunkyRes
I just shipped my package with them, and it worked out flawlessly - and saved me a bunch pf money (passed on to customer).

I agree that those shipping need to know how to properly ship, but I don't believe individual FedEx certification demonstrates that. All individual certification demonstrates is that they can put a deli cup in a box lined with Styrofoam. It says nothing about the proper use of heat / cold packs or how well the shipper packages herps that don't fit in a deli cup, etc.

Unless you do huge volume, FedEx prices right now are really insane. Reptster gives us small time hobbyists the benefits of high volume prices, and they provide boxes that would pass FedEx certification, so the quality of shipping is going to be the same or better than what is required to become certified.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #158
WingedWolf
Linking to the Lacey Act or to other information resources isn't a bad idea, and I bet Reptster will even consider doing so...at the moment they have an awful lot on their plate just getting their service fully up and running, since they've had to change how they do boxes. Give them some slack to work out the kinks--they're really useful. At the moment, the bulk of the people who know about them are herp people already who have the same access to and knowledge of this information that you do.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #159
hhmoore
On the outside chance that David (or anybody else that can help me) reads this:
I was trying to prepare a shipment today, entered all the information, and got my price quote...but I can't get any further. Every time I [b]click here to ship[b/] or click on Ship Package, I get a dead screen with no information. I've been calling the customer service number all morning, and getting no answer. I even tried to post this question in their forums, but it won't let me.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #160
Otter_23
I have shipped 3 times using them and they all went fine. They have changed how they are doing things now. You have to buy the boxes at a couple dollars a piece but when you ship instead of saving around 20% you now will save around 40% which even with the price of the box you save more than you did when you got the box for free.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
repster, reptster