Logging On to BOI - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #11
RJK890
Good point Dennis.

Like I said, I was just wondering if that would increase the liability, and risk of a lawsuite being filed. That is the whole issue with the BOI in the first place, right.

It seems that would be the same as editing or deleting certain threads on the board.

I am sure Rich has people more knowledgable about the law helping him in his decisions.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:23 AM   #12
hhmoore
I googled Robert Kelly, Robert J Kelly, and Robert Kelly + Florida, and went at least 10 pages deep without finding that thread. It wasn't until I added scammer to the title that I located it that way (and it still wasn't the first one).
Clicking on the link brought up the denied access/log in screen (as expected).
As Dennis indicated, there was a cached file, and I accessed it...I got the first page of the thread (in your case, it was immediately pointed out that it was a retaliatory thread, and the OP stated he did it to prove a point). I wasn't able to progress beyond the first page of the thread, though - don't know if that is typical of cached files, or something I was doing wrong, but the log in requirement prevented me from going further.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:29 AM   #13
hhmoore
(I know your case was just an example, but I was curious)

Old 08-02-2009, 12:51 AM   #14
rosebud945
Harald, had you logged out before you tried it? I just tried it after I logged out and I didn't even get to the first page.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:12 AM   #15
RJK890
Thanks Harold.

Yeah,
I did just use my case as an example, and I don't have any problem with that thread, or Faunaville.

If it had been locked before, "it was immediately pointed out that it was a retaliatory thread, and the OP stated he did it to prove a point," that would have sucked.

I thought it was handled properly by Rich, the Mods, or whoever makes those decisions. Of course if it were up to me, it would have been deleted. I do understand why that is not an option though.

I was glad that some of the people that I have actually had transactions with were able to post feedback in that thread, and were able to turn it into some what of a "Good Guy" thread, instead of just having it locked and letting it sink. Then anyone running a search in my name, on the BOI would have pulled it up in whatever state it had been locked in.

I really was just looking at this from another angle. I like this site, and wish Rich a great retirement. I am definitely not trying to cause any problems here. With all of the bans getting passed out lately, maybe I should just stick to cruising the classifieds...lol.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:05 AM   #16
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud945 View Post
Harald, had you logged out before you tried it? I just tried it after I logged out and I didn't even get to the first page.
Yes, I had. As I explained, when I clicked the google link, I got dumped on the access denied/log in page. The cached version gave me access to the first page, but I couldn't get any further.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:15 AM   #17
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK890 View Post
Would that not be more of a legal liability?

I mean I have a thread on the BOI about me that is titled "Robert Kelly of Florida is a Scammer," or something like that.

It was started by a scammer that I played a part in outing. He got pissed at myself and Mike Curtain and posted similar threads about the both of us.

Inside the thread it is obvious that it is in fact a bogus thread, and several people that I have actually had transactions with came forward to post positive feedback about me. However, anyone not contributing to Fauna will only be able to see the title.

Having the "Robert Kelly of Florida is a Scammer," thread pop up when my name is googled, and then the inquiring person not be able to read the content of the thread, unless they contribute to the site, seems like it would be a legal liability???

I mean what if when SerpenCo, or Rich Z. was googled, a thread on my web site popped up claiming, "WARNING: RICH Z. is a PEDOPHILE!"
However, in order to read the content of that thread, where it was shown to be a false accusation from some internet freak with a grudge, you had to pony up $25.

I think that may be grounds for a Libel suite, No???
No, not really. I spoke at length about this with one of my attorneys back when I had the paid requirement for posting on the BOI. He told me that I am not obligated to allow anyone access to this site if I don't want to. Even to respond to a negative thread. Just as I am not obligated to keep nor delete any post or thread in particular, and nor am I obligated to allow access for anyone to be able to read something that has been posted here.

On the other hand, that attorney was quite frank in telling me that although the law may be black and white and I would be 110 percent in the white side, there is no protection against a lame brained judge or a cock-eyed jury that would ignore the law completely or misinterpret it. There are NO guarantees in the courtroom. That is why there is an appeal process. But judges tend to hate having their cases appealed, because it tends to count against them when they get overruled because of an error in their interpretation of the applicable law.

With that being said, if the BOI does go to being available only to paid members, bear in mind that it won't be permanent. That will be a temporary adjustment for one year at the end of which time I will feel that I have fulfilled the implied obligation to all paying members for their one year subscription to help keep the BOI afloat. The fact that I went that route will mean that the paying memberships never reached the level I needed to see in order to be somewhat comfortable keeping the BOI here. So that will just be an interim step prior to the BOI going away completely. Hopefully I will be able to make that clear to all members at that time so they understand that further contributions after January 1, 2010 will not make any difference and the BOI is effectively history if critical mass is not reached at that point.

So yeah, this is LAST CALL on the BOI....... I've got 5 months to clean up the joint to make it somewhat more respectable, and everyone else has 5 months to SHOW me the value of the BOI to them.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #18
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
I've got 5 months to clean up the joint to make it somewhat more respectable, and everyone else has 5 months to SHOW me the value of the BOI to them.
I agree with any move toward making this site one where people are able to talk about what is important to them without fear of invective and derision. The monkey poo flingers just need to go. Even in the BOI, people can voice their opinions clearly without resorting to namecalling and mudslinging.

I never really appreciated the phase here where people on the BOI were permitted to attack others and be as nasty as they chose, because somehow that would alert others to their true propensities. Many people simply stopped posting because they were unwilling to either become targets or to stoop as low at their attacker.

One can say exactly how one feels about a scammer without resorting to four letter words and in fact, an effort to make your case or opinion more businesslike increases the chances that those who read what you write will understand and agree with the points you make.

As far as showing Rich the value of the BOI, if you don't have a membership please consider one now. There is a contribution thread stickied in the BOI forum also for those of you who are able to donate/sell items and then send the funds to Fauna. Even small items are appreciated, not everyone here is a rich tycoon, but everyone here can do a little something to help, and if we can all manage small donations, they will add up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!