Urban snow ?'s - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-10-2005, 12:13 AM   #1
aliceinwl
Urban snow ?'s

Is anyone on here working with these?

I was perusing their site, and they're saying that it's behaving like a dominant mutation. From the pics, it almost looks like the eyes have maroon / brown veining like the dark trempers; kind of reminiscent of those black albino corn snakes.

With all the buzz about Macks, I was kind of wondering why no one is talking about these. I know that they sold at least a couple of them last year.

If anyone is working with them, I'd love to hear about how the trait is behaving and what your thoughts are on the morph and its potential.

-Alice

Old 08-11-2005, 05:02 AM   #2
diablohogs
Quote:
kind of reminiscent of those black albino corn snakes
do you mean anery corn snakes?

Old 08-11-2005, 09:08 PM   #3
aliceinwl
I might; I know next to nothing about corns. One of my friends back in college had a corn that was shades of dark gray and black, but had a red glow to the eye. She was calling it a black albino... Anyway, that's kind of what the urban snows remind me of. If it is indeed a dominant mutation as they're claiming, I can't understand why everyone isn't bonkers over them.

-Alice

Old 08-11-2005, 10:47 PM   #4
diablohogs
the term "black albino" was coined in corn snakes to describe the anery morph which, coincedentally is the closest thing genetic wise to a snow leopard gecko.

as far as the red tint to the anery cornsnakes eyes thats a new one for me.

one thing to keep in mind is that urban gecko states that it acts like a codominant morph and not that it is one. they are in fact linebred snows.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:11 AM   #5
Sunset Gecko
I was under the impression that they were linebred snows also. My guess is the normal(s) posted on their site just inherited the worst traits of both parents. That's what happens with selective breeding.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:30 PM   #6
aliceinwl
Here is Urban's description of their line:

"If there’s an absolute ideal for this type of morph, we think this is it. We acquired this incredible gene pool as a wild-caught group four years ago and we have been selectively breeding them ever since. There is much debate surrounding this unique and wonderful morph. From our breeding results, we believe our bloodline is a type of axanthic, a genetic trait where the subject has little or no yellow pigment. In most cases this trait has been proven to be recessive but in our group, we have proven it to be dominant. Our exclusive Snows are unrelated to any known in captivity, boasting incredible white coloration and reduced black spotting. This is truly a rare opportunity to acquire this remarkable lineage"

Here is a quote accompanying one of the normal looking snow siblings they sold: "When our Snow line is crossed out, 50% are Snow and 50% are Snow Siblings. Hatch Certificate is not included with this gecko."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I interpreted this as saying fairly unambiguously that it is a dominant trait and being line bred the same way that Mack's currently are.

-Alice

Old 08-12-2005, 09:40 PM   #7
g&mgeckos
It sounds like that is what they are claiming. It does seem strange they haven't caught on like the Macks. I wonder what would happen if the two were breed together.

Old 08-13-2005, 07:15 AM   #8
g&mgeckos
Alice I thought you brought up a good question so I ask the same on another forum I go to and found someone who does work with them. The following link is their response Urban Snows

Hope this helps.

Old 08-13-2005, 09:25 AM   #9
montezuma
I am not sure what to think of the Urban Snows. I have bred snows that look no different, I guess the difference is they have an uncanny ability to be able sell an empty box with a certificate of hatching for invisible leopard gecko and has happy customers buying them up. I am not saying that Urbans geckos are crappy but I am saying that the prices people pay to get what they get are extremely astronimical.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:24 AM   #10
diablohogs
Quote:
"If there’s an absolute ideal for this type of morph, we think this is it. We acquired this incredible gene pool as a wild-caught group four years ago and we have been selectively breeding them ever since. There is much debate surrounding this unique and wonderful morph. From our breeding results, we believe our bloodline is a type of axanthic, a genetic trait where the subject has little or no yellow pigment. In most cases this trait has been proven to be recessive but in our group, we have proven it to be dominant. Our exclusive Snows are unrelated to any known in captivity, boasting incredible white coloration and reduced black spotting. This is truly a rare opportunity to acquire this remarkable lineage"
very interesting.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!