Opinion On Panacur!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-27-2005, 10:31 AM   #1
snared99
Exclamation Opinion On Panacur!!

Ok guys what do we think of panacur? I have a gecko that is eating fine and very active but has loose stool( with some undigested parts in it). Everything in the tank is fine, heat, water, etc. I heard from many that panacur twice a year can help prevent disease greatly. Any ideas? Or what methods are used out there?

Old 09-27-2005, 10:35 AM   #2
hill4803
How is his/her tail looking? Still nice and plump? How long has the gecko had loose stools?
Panacur is pretty safe as far as its usage, but you may want to have a fecal done to rule out other types of parasitic infections that panacur doesn't treat.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
snared99
The tail and the body is very healthy looking.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:39 AM   #4
brucestephenson
I have used Panacur on tortoises with no bad effects at all. It seems to be very safe for them. I believe Ron Tremper's new book outlines how to use it on the leopard geckos.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:58 AM   #5
Vince
Were do you get panacur?

Old 09-27-2005, 11:05 AM   #6
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Were do you get panacur?
Lots of places carry it. I bleieve that I bought it at www.petcarerx.com.

Old 09-27-2005, 11:22 AM   #7
Gekkonida
Pat,
Sometimes a new arrival will have loose stool for a few days. The stress causes the animal to have stool that is on the runny side. If it hasn't firmed up or if it looks discolored yellowish/green tint you should get a fecal done. Also, if you are changing them to a different food item they will sometimes display runny stools. The big thing is being able to tell a stress related runny stool from a discolored loose stool that is a warning of an underlying problem. You really need to watch them as the two sometimes are hard to tell apart. Good luck

Old 09-27-2005, 02:06 PM   #8
coyote
It can most easily be found at any feed store that sells supplies for livestock and horses. It is a paste packaged for use in horses but you can dilute it with water to get a more appropriate concentration.

Panacur is the trade name for fenbendazole.

Roger Klingenberg has an excellent book out, Understanding Reptile Parasites.
It is inexpensive too. I only paid $7 for mine.

Old 09-27-2005, 02:23 PM   #9
Vince
when the vet gave it to me for my dog, it was in powdered form. I'm guessing that is the best way to use in reptiles.

Old 09-27-2005, 02:35 PM   #10
groovygeckos
It comes in a paste and would be easier than a powder to use i think .

Just have to make a lower concentration with the horse-paste , it is EXACTLY the same meds.

Some people do use it once or twice a year .

But its better to have fecals to see what it actually is IMO

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!