Please help! sick snakes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
Eastcoastballs
Please help! sick snakes

I have a spider female about 1300 grams and pastel male 1400 grams both displays UR infection symptoms. I have now seen 2 different vets and so far they have not been able to help one is pretty well know as a herp vet in jax,fl it has been a year now and it seems to come and go. In there mouth is a gooey thick and stringy mucus they have been treated with 2 types of antibiotics and nothing seems to work. i personally dont think it is UR infection does anyone know of any cases like this or thoughts on what it could be. the female spider even has saliva rush out of her mouth some times when i pick her up.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
hhmoore
Have cultures been done?

Old 12-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Pmsayi
Sounds like a respiratory to me. I second Haralds question. Prescribing anti-biotics without knowing the gram type of the infection is useless. Some strains of UR causing bacteria are resistant to certain anti-biotics. If the infection cause is viral in nature anti-biotics will not be effective at all. I would say it is time for a sit down consultation with your vet to explore all the possible causes which could include gram-positive bacteria, gram-negative bacteria, viral infection, or environmental (bedding, exposure to cigarette smoke, husbandry, exposure to pesticides, exposure to certain cleaning compounds, and so on).

Old 12-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Eastcoastballs
Yes, they showed sudonomas and i have been doing injections of ceftazidime wich is a antibiotic .33 cc's 1 every 3 days. the first time they were treated with baytrill. Anyone have any thing else they think i should look into beside UR? i have looked into the symptoms of IBD and they dont show those symptoms.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
Eastcoastballs
Also i have a room in my house that is isolated from the rest of the house that has it own thermostat and air filter so i dont think it is exposure to any thing. I am also very cautious to use hand sanitizer before handling my snakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!