Info Courtney & George Schertler - Retic Owners Watch Puppy Being Eaten and Posts Pics - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #91
DesertRat73
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennana View Post
Your wrong on this one you are putting value of certain life over live because of your personal opinion. I am not saying i support them or any of their decisions or housing set ups but it is their choice to be stupid with their puppy and they did say they had some one that was supposed to be watching the dog. For the two snakes living together, I know most people are against but it has been spotted in the wild on multiple occasions so if they get along I do not see the problem with it. Their choice to post the picture of the dog being eaten is entirely their choice just because you don't like does not make it wrong or right.

It'd be nice if you guys would read before posting, get a translator if you need one, but put some effort into the conversation at least. They're not wrong. The argument put forward, the reasoning behind it, the way in which it's presented are spot on and easy to understand. Assuming of course you're not reading it through the filter of being argumentative. The whole point of this is about the impact these people(and by extension, their ill informed supporters) will have on herp keepers, business people, education and conservationists should this behavior not be challenged. What's done in the wild or in other countries is completely irrelevant, and devoid of any intellectual investment within the context of this thread. The only thing that matters here, and the reason for this thread is how this behavior will impact everyone within the industry if observed by anyone with an agenda against it, or any ignorant "dogooder" looking to save the world from the evil snakes. In short, no sir. You are wrong.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #92
kanozig
agreed^

Ben, who are you talking to exactly? I do not think it is a question of who on here is wrong or right, we are all going to have our own opinions on this matter, also, who are you reffering to when you say: you put certain life over others? Certainly you are not reffering to my comparison of a child wandering over to where the retic was and a dog?!? I think the biggest red flag and question at hand is... Responsibility.... Again, its bad publicity to see someones pet getting out or not being attended to and eating the neighbors dog, I cannot recall this happening to a child here in the US, but I wouldnt doubt that it has happened... anyone who has ever owned a full sized Retic knows fully well what they are capable of... They are highly intelligent snakes and can pack a mean punch... When they get to a certain size, it becomes a liability more then just a pet... You do not just let something that powerful "roam" you do not let just anyone watch it.... So without getting into the kittens, multiple small dogs by large snakes pics, "pet squirrel/ squirrel food.. etc... etc... so to sit here and say it was a accident isnt flying with me... whatever they want to fed their snake is their business, but advertising it doesnt help, adult retics demand respect, they are not a toy, they are not on the same caliber as a pet gerbil getting out of its cage. I most certainly would'nt dare have my ferret running around when I know my doberman is near. Accidents do happen, though I do not believe this was a accident.., I guess if anything let this be a lesson for other owners of large snakes... treat them with respect... like you would a weapon... Retics and other large snakes are cold blooded killers... they were never meant to be cute or fun pets you let slither about and let your little chihuahua dog walk on while photographing it.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #93
ShadowAceD
Quote:
Your wrong on this one you are putting value of certain life over live because of your personal opinion. I am not saying i support them or any of their decisions or housing set ups but it is their choice to be stupid with their puppy and they did say they had some one that was supposed to be watching the dog. For the two snakes living together, I know most people are against but it has been spotted in the wild on multiple occasions so if they get along I do not see the problem with it. Their choice to post the picture of the dog being eaten is entirely their choice just because you don't like does not make it wrong or right.
Benjamin, cite for me where a Reticulated Python and a Colombian Boa have lived together in the wild.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #94
bennana
I read it completely it is not okay to attack someone or post anything negative on a public forum over an opinion

Old 06-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #95
bennana
And I never said that they had I said it as snakes in general of different species have been seen living together including pythons

Old 06-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #96
bennana
It is their snake they can let it roam on their property if they choose, irresponsible or not and I am sure they didn't want their dog to die.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #97
ShadowAceD
Quote:
It is their snake they can let it roam on their property if they choose, irresponsible or not and I am sure they didn't want their dog to die.
I'm not sure what little bubble you have been living in, but no, it is not okay for irresponsible people like this to further threaten an already endangered hobby.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #98
DesertRat73
I can respect differing opinions when that situation is warranted, however I do not believe this situation allows for any wiggle room on the subject. Federal legislation already exists restricting sale and movement of some large constrictors. The efforts against this industry have been active for years, and they show no signs of stopping. Local, state, and federal level representatives actively lobby against it, and there is at least one man in Florida running his campaign against this very issue. I don't remember if he's running for Rep. or Senate though. The consequences of actions like these are not hypothetical debate, they are very real AND tangible, and very much justify the need for this warning thread. Opinions are fine in debate threads where outcomes are ambiguous and open to interpretation, however this is not one of those threads. The actions happened due to negligence, and we are all lucky the consequences didn't extend much further than hurt feelings(so far as we know thus far).

Old 06-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #99
PlatinumRosePythons
Quote:
I read it completely it is not okay to attack someone or post anything negative on a public forum over an opinion
This thread isn't about an opinion, it's about facts. A dog was killed due to the idiocy of those people. You must be livin under a rock if you don't know the potential ramifications of this. This time it was a dog but next time it could be a baby. You gonna shove your head in the sand and say its none of our bussiness then too?

Old 06-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #100
kanozig
I suggest everyone, including Ben watch this news clip:

http://www.theonion.com/video/boys-t...y-famil,17024/

A little boy was crushed and eaten by a families 300 pound python..... the parents said:

" there were NO warning signs"

thats like letting your kid play near a loaded pistol IMO, then telling authorities, you thought the child wasnt capable of pulling the trigger..... dogs may not be the top of the food chain, but its clear, the point is... owning a huge snake takes GREAT responsibility and attention... if there is something in the house small enough to fit in its mouth, it should not be intermingling with it UNLESS your intent is to feed IT.... example: letting your dog stand on a boa for "photos" THAT... just THAT shows great irresponsibility! having a baby child "pose" with a 300# burmese is pretty dumb too!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!