Bad Guy Dishonest guy Jon Boone (User name Geitje) - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #31
smy_749
What do you expect him to do? Send you another animal that might turn out male? A smart man doesn't get stung from the same hole twice. Seems to me he just wants to make sure he has a definite female this time because thats what YOU want. I missed the part where he said he wouldn't refund you, but I did catch the part where he asked you what you would like to do with the 2nd male? Keep him? Or...

Old 12-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #32
kerrek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew R View Post
Not sure this qualifies as a bad guy post? The OP was buying young animals which every experienced keeper knows is a best guess scenario. So the female winds up male and Jon offers to give a guaranteed female raising an animal to size to be 100% sure of the gender can take some time. Jon never said he wouldn't refund the money he did ask if there were any other animals wanted. Seems to me jon is taking care of this and the OP is getting impatient. Yes I also understand pushing back a season is discouraging but so goes the reptile business. I have had several transactions with Jon and all have been flawless. Give him a chance to respond I am sure the situation will be corrected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankster View Post
Here is the communication history between Jon Boone and I.

On Jul 10, 2013, at 7:05 PM, "Jon & Stacy Boone" <jsboone@cox.net> wrote:

> Hello Wai!
>
> Of course, I remember you! It's nice to hear from you and I hope all is
> well.
>
> The pair is still currently available, although a few other people are
> considering them. They are easy to keep and breed in dry terrariums as
> depicted in my attached photos. Terrariums 12" x 12" x 12" are sufficient,
> although the terrarium in the attached photo is 12" wide x 14" deep x 18"
> high. Temps of 78-90 F., relatively low humidity is fine. Dry sand.
> Females bury their eggs and build a mound over them. I feed them mostly
> crickets, although other breeders use other insects too. They are a simple
> and straightforward desert species with no special demands!
>
> I will send you pics of both animals tomorrow morning.
>
> Best,
> Jon

Can you show me where in the email above Jon tells him it's a best guess? I sure can't find it. It looks like he said the pair is available not suspected pair not best guess but pair. If he wasn't sure it was a pair he shouldn't have sold it as such. And I'm sorry but how long is the OP supposed to wait? 6 months, a year? He paid his money for a pair of geckos and the seller screwed up. Crap happens everybody makes mistakes but he should fixed it by now. Not on his schedule but on the customer's schedule. If he can't produce a suitable female take the male back and refund the buyer. It's not rocket science. The OP has been more than fair in this situation. I also like the earlier post from Ken you should work with him while you still can. Nice so sellers should be able to keep the money from their screw ups if the buyer gets frustrated with the run around and resorts to a BOI to get a response.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #33
MissFirefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrek View Post
Can you show me where in the email above Jon tells him it's a best guess? I sure can't find it. It looks like he said the pair is available not suspected pair not best guess but pair. If he wasn't sure it was a pair he shouldn't have sold it as such. And I'm sorry but how long is the OP supposed to wait? 6 months, a year? He paid his money for a pair of geckos and the seller screwed up. Crap happens everybody makes mistakes but he should fixed it by now. Not on his schedule but on the customer's schedule. If he can't produce a suitable female take the male back and refund the buyer. It's not rocket science. The OP has been more than fair in this situation. I also like the earlier post from Ken you should work with him while you still can. Nice so sellers should be able to keep the money from their screw ups if the buyer gets frustrated with the run around and resorts to a BOI to get a response.
Thank you!

I understand that people have had good experiences with Jon but in this instance it does seem a touch sketchy that as soon as the OP asks for a refund after waiting several months for the animal he was promised the seller stops responding. The OP is within his rights to make a post here given the lack of communication or resolution for not getting what he paid for.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #34
Geitje
First of all, just a short explanation of my tardiness for reply on this thread – my wife of 21 years and I have been going thru a lengthy divorce for the past 15 months (since August of 2012...) – and almost unbelievably – we’re getting back together and helping her move back in this coming weekend, planning, legal matters, financial matters, etc. So, I’ve been absorbed with spending a lot of time outside of my house lately. Next, I sold Wai a pair of P. rugosus at a discounted rate from what they were originally offered. Next, I sold young animals that I thought were a pair for $1050/shipped (not more than $1K/pair considering shipping). I routinely sold unsexed juveniles during that time for $400-500ea., although not necessarily important to this deal, but the price to Wai was more than fair at that time. Eventually, Wai informed me that the 2 animals he got from me were 2 males. Taking his word that the 2 animals were indeed the 2 animals I sent, I eventually agreed.

Next, I’m assuming that most people who buy juvenile pairs of a given species have done so for the primary reason of breeding them. These juvenile animals are at around 1 year away from breeding size when I shipped them, meaning that next July/August (during the beginning of the austral summer 2014) would be the target time for Wai’s 1st chance to breed them. In the offhand chance that he just wants a couple of P. rugosus to stare at, then I’m not sure if the importance of sex ratio matters – other than I sold them as a pair. So, my position has been to provide Wai with a pair of P. rugosus and find him a suitably sized (and 100%) female. Last week I arranged for a few juveniles to come back from the Hamm show this past weekend, and I have another friend in the US from whom I’m picking up a group of rugosus. From these animals, it was my intention to send Wai a female from this group of about 9 young animals. At the moment, my breeding pairs are just starting to produce (during the austral summer, which I accommodate) so I knew that would not give Wai a fair chance of having a breedable pair for the 2014 summer season – hence my efforts of rounding up an outside group of rugosus to help Wai from.

Shipping – I ship 52 weeks of the year, not only in the USA, but to Europe, Canada, Japan, Taiwan, etc. 48 hour heat packs, proper shipping practices, and experience allow for this. I’ve shipped reptiles for 32 years, on average 170 shipments/year. I also worked for UPS for 20 years. So, I do not see shipping as a problem – regardless of where you live.

Refund – upon receiving back the 2 animals, refunding is an option.

Otherwise, my intention was to send Wai a female as soon as I get one that is essentially the same size (or larger) than the animals that I sent to him, and allow him to keep the extra male – or simply sell it for the inconvenience (yes, there are people who also need males – in USA, Europe and the Orient). Again, the earliest he could breed these would be summer 2014, and it was my intention to provide him with a female that would accommodate that at some point over the wintertime. My reasoning for my thoughts on the offer above are simply based in what I would expect to receive myself – since I’ve been in Wai’s position countless times over the years – and that is sometimes needing to wait for mistakes to be corrected and thereby having a pair that is breeding sized when the expected season should begin.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #35
Tankster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geitje View Post
First of all, just a short explanation of my tardiness for reply on this thread – my wife of 21 years and I have been going thru a lengthy divorce for the past 15 months (since August of 2012...) – and almost unbelievably – we’re getting back together and helping her move back in this coming weekend, planning, legal matters, financial matters, etc. So, I’ve been absorbed with spending a lot of time outside of my house lately. Next, I sold Wai a pair of P. rugosus at a discounted rate from what they were originally offered. Next, I sold young animals that I thought were a pair for $1050/shipped (not more than $1K/pair considering shipping). I routinely sold unsexed juveniles during that time for $400-500ea., although not necessarily important to this deal, but the price to Wai was more than fair at that time. Eventually, Wai informed me that the 2 animals he got from me were 2 males. Taking his word that the 2 animals were indeed the 2 animals I sent, I eventually agreed.

Next, I’m assuming that most people who buy juvenile pairs of a given species have done so for the primary reason of breeding them. These juvenile animals are at around 1 year away from breeding size when I shipped them, meaning that next July/August (during the beginning of the austral summer 2014) would be the target time for Wai’s 1st chance to breed them. In the offhand chance that he just wants a couple of P. rugosus to stare at, then I’m not sure if the importance of sex ratio matters – other than I sold them as a pair. So, my position has been to provide Wai with a pair of P. rugosus and find him a suitably sized (and 100%) female. Last week I arranged for a few juveniles to come back from the Hamm show this past weekend, and I have another friend in the US from whom I’m picking up a group of rugosus. From these animals, it was my intention to send Wai a female from this group of about 9 young animals. At the moment, my breeding pairs are just starting to produce (during the austral summer, which I accommodate) so I knew that would not give Wai a fair chance of having a breedable pair for the 2014 summer season – hence my efforts of rounding up an outside group of rugosus to help Wai from.

Shipping – I ship 52 weeks of the year, not only in the USA, but to Europe, Canada, Japan, Taiwan, etc. 48 hour heat packs, proper shipping practices, and experience allow for this. I’ve shipped reptiles for 32 years, on average 170 shipments/year. I also worked for UPS for 20 years. So, I do not see shipping as a problem – regardless of where you live.

Otherwise, my intention was to send Wai a female as soon as I get one that is essentially the same size (or larger) than the animals that I sent to him, and allow him to keep the extra male – or simply sell it for the inconvenience (yes, there are people who also need males – in USA, Europe and the Orient). Again, the earliest he could breed these would be summer 2014, and it was my intention to provide him with a female that would accommodate that at some point over the wintertime. My reasoning for my thoughts on the offer above are simply based in what I would expect to receive myself – since I’ve been in Wai’s position countless times over the years – and that is sometimes needing to wait for mistakes to be corrected and thereby having a pair that is breeding sized when the expected season should begin.

Hi Jon, let's cut to the chase, since you said that refunding is an option, how soon you can refund the money if I give you my Paypal account information.

Thanks.
Wai

Thanks.
Wai

Old 12-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #36
DavidBeard
Quote:
If the buyer purchased a supposed 1.1 pair of geckos, why should he have to send you back BOTH animals? He wants a pair....that seems counterproductive. Also, will you be paying for the shipping expenses to return the animals to you? I certainly hope so.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #37
Tankster
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBeard View Post
If the buyer purchased a supposed 1.1 pair of geckos, why should he have to send you back BOTH animals? He wants a pair....that seems counterproductive. Also, will you be paying for the shipping expenses to return the animals to you? I certainly hope so.
Good point, since female usually more expensive, even if I get the refund, most likely have to pay extra to buy a female from other breeder...

Wai

Old 12-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #38
Tankster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankster View Post
Good point, since female usually more expensive, even if I get the refund, most likely have to pay extra to buy a female from other breeder...

Wai
Also he already lost my trust, how do I know if he will refund if I ship him back the pair first ??

Wai

Old 12-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #39
DavidBeard
IMO, the only feasible solution is that Jon pay for return shipping of ONE of the males....and refunds half of the cost of the supposed pair of animals. Ken should not incur any additional costs or inconvenience because he did not receive what he paid for.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #40
laterob
I agree with D. Beardonicus.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!