Question for those more knowledgable than me - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-13-2006, 10:53 PM   #1
AmberDisCool
Question for those more knowledgable than me

I just bought a leopard gecko for my 6 year old son as a birthday present. I did a lot of research before I got it but I'm still unsure about some stuff. How often should the little one poop? I've had it for 3 days now and have yet to see any poop in the cage. He ate well last night so I know that's not the problem. Any suggestions?

Old 09-14-2006, 01:16 AM   #2
Leighanne
Our little Gexie did this with us when we first got him. Poor guy or gal is probably a bit on edge and getting used to his environment. The can be touchy and even private! I've NEVER seen Gexie poop. I walked in on him once in the middle of a poop and he stopped. I left the room and he finished up. He didn't poop a lot for us in the beginning but he poops every two days now. Cleaning poop everyday sometimes to every other day sucks! Hes lucky I like him. lol I would say just wait it out for a minute. If he doesn't poop for like two weeks maybe shorter or longer I'm not sure, or if he looks bloated then you could try some other stuff. I've never had this problem with my Leo but I have with my Snake. I always just gave my Snake a bath, and held him, two minutes later I've got poop all over me. Oh well.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #3
geckogrl6
Well, it depends. How old is your gecko? If it is very young, like under 3-4 months, he prob should be going soon. If he doesn't, you may try a warm bath, some waxworms, or other methods which I won't recommend at this point. If your leo is more of an adult, or sub-adult, like over 6 months, I'd give it about a week until you take action.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:40 AM   #4
justin-branam
i highly doubt this is the problem, but more of a concern. What type of substrate are you keeping him on? if it is anything other than paper towels, i would change it asap. You dont want him digesting any sand, bark, walnut shells, etc. as that could cause impaction. You said you did your research, so im sure you know this, but just double checking with you. Be sure to post pics of the little one!

Old 11-15-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
cinquecento
slightly related..

One of my new Geckos is doing this.. shes just shy i've gathered..

I've also noticed you can acctully potty train geckos.. wierd i know.. i put the first few poops in a cave in the cold section and removed after a week & walla! all 3 of the lil'geckos poo in that cave, Now i have no Poo hunting or hidden ones..

I can probly imagen people objecting against this idea as Crickets will eat the poo..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!