Eat the skin? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
My_Spyder
Thumbs down Eat the skin?

Whaddup all, got another question. My friend who owned a 5 foot red tail since it was a hatchling, told me when a snake sheds to leave the skin in there for the snake to eat. He said it has alot of calcium or something. Does anyone do this? Is this true? Ive never personally seen any of mine eat theirs so i usually take it out after a couple days. Thanks

Old 05-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
filez41
I've heard of a snake eating its shed before, although the only case I've heard of was a ratsnake. I've never heard of ball pythons or boas doing it, and none of mine have ever done it.
It's probably perfectly fine for them, but if they're not interested in doing it, no need to push them!
I'm really curious about other peoples responses to this.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
SPJ
Take it out. They aren't going to eat it. They are not leopard geckos.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
hhmoore
Just for the record - your friend's boa was never a hatchling, either...boas are live bearers.
There might be random reports of snakes eating sheds, but I wouldn't make a point of leaving one in there for that reason. FWIW, I have had some types (mostly species that are known to eat snakes) grab a shed when I was removing it...and none of them ever followed through and ate it.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
My_Spyder
Yes i know boas are live birth, hatchling = little guy. And what does FWIW stand for,

Old 05-01-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
hhmoore
hatchling = newly hatched

fwiw = for what it's worth

Old 05-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
vmreptiles
I knew I saw something about this recently, this is an old post from the VPI bragging post.

http://vpi.com/brag/eat_themself

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!