"Sunglow" Dumerils - Do they exist? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 06:39 PM   #11
crotalusadamanteus
Being on an island, even if it is a large island with parts yet undiscovered, the gene pool is limited to whats on the island, increasing the odds of such a mutation popping up, if it exists on the island at all. None have yet been discovered that I'm aware of.

Islands are fairly unique though. Things happen, some that shouldn't. They even break mother natures own rules, so who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptile-phan View Post
i understand what everyones sayying but really thinks about this. genetic variation amongs species can be vast and from what i know dumerils are from madagascar so when they were first imported you dont know what genes got mixed up with other genes and there could of been a subspecies and over the years so the possibility of a genetic defect in coloring could be possible ending up in these orange glows and the hypos look what happend to the carpet pythons now we have jag, granites, ect. and reptileadictions something could always pop up some species albino traits pop up all the time and others less likely and what its like 1 in every some thounds of snake a albino apears maybe in a few years with the population of dumerils being produced in the us we could very well see an albino. all im saying is theres always a chance for a genetic defect who knows. all i can say is spend some money and buy a possible morph and if its not well atleast you have a pretty snake

Old 10-09-2010, 03:54 AM   #12
scratchypen
I understand this is an older thread but just came across it.

So, as far as genetic variation, this is what Ive heard/read..
That very few dumerils were imported over from Madagascar, something like 6 or 8 then no others were able to be imported over due to restrictions..is that correct? If so, then, yes, genetic mutations could pop up, but, it is so unlikely.

On the other hand, they are popping up, mostly overseas. I would not go as far as calling this snake a new morph. It looks like a nice looking dum to me. I would not buy it as a morph. But, if you do your research, there are T+ albinos out there, i.e. what many would call ultramel or caramel or something along those lines, and there have also been hypos produced. Pics can be found in the kingsnake forums if I remember correctly.

I have 2 dumerils which are extremely dark, one with a pure black belly, so, obviously something went weird with the genetics on that one.

Okay, sorry about the rambling. I just would not purchase it as morph unless it has been proved to be genetic rather then a mutation due to something else.

Thats all folks.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #13
Jack of all trades
Like stated before a morph has to prove out in its offspring. i call this jumping the gun. The other problem is people have not a clue what they are talking about most of the time. I love this breed and hope someone comes up with a morph, but i don't think this is it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!