WANTED...... ANY INFORMATION YOU KNOW ON COATIS KANGAROOS OR WALLABYS - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > Mammals For Sale/Wanted Ads

Notices

Mammals For Sale/Wanted Ads Posting of classified ads by registered members is FREE!! But additional perks require contributing level memberships.

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
mus1cizmythang
Thumbs down WANTED...... ANY INFORMATION YOU KNOW ON COATIS KANGAROOS OR WALLABYS

It would be much appreciated if ANYONE who knew anything about coatis wallabys or kangaroos would share that information with me. I am trying to find out as much as i can about these animals before I even think about buying them. I have a family of 5 (3 of them being kids) and my kids have friends constantly coming over that would want to pet the coati/kangaroo/wallaby. Would any of the pets above be ok for that or compatable with a family enviroment? Any information on what they eat, how they are with children, pets, their cage size, or any advice or tips would be MUCH appreciated.
Thankyou SO much for your time,
Matt.
  Contact User Check User
Old 03-31-2008, 09:49 PM   #2
PD4Ever
I will have bottle fed coutis available in about 2 months. I am waiting on litters to be born. I'll have white knose and browns. All are $500 each. 3 litters are expected. I am taking deposits now.

NOT AN ANIMAL TO BE AROUND KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.kensexotics.com

Old 04-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
mus1cizmythang
Thankyou so much for telling me! Do you know anything about either a wallaby or a kangaroo or (probably not) but a toucan?

P.S. Not to be rude, but why cant they be around kids?
  Contact User Check User
Old 04-01-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
damesta
I don't mean to be rude either, but Google is your friend, there is a wealth of easily found information out there about keeping any of these animals as pets. All you have to do is search for it. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

As for your question on coatis, I wouldn't recommend keeping them around kids because they can bite VERY hard if they feel the need to. They aren't overly aggressive animals but if provoked/harassed by children they are capable of doing some serious damage. Out of the 3 you listed a wallaby would be the best choice, but they can do some damage as well if they really want to.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
mus1cizmythang
Ok.... thanks...
  Contact User Check User
Old 04-02-2008, 09:59 PM   #6
Cat_72
Matthew, you may have better response if you post this in a discussion forum, as opposed to the classified ads.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #7
mus1cizmythang
Thanks.
  Contact User Check User
Old 04-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #8
RickG
Hey Matthew, just another response that maybe you'll find helpful. As far as coatis go, this is definately not an animal for kids. From experience I will tell you that these guys, even bottle raised, shouldn't be pets (they are better for exhibits in zoos etc.). Once they reach sexual maturity they become unpredictable and can tear into you pretty badly. The scar on my foot is not something you want on a kids face. Honestly, there are few exotics that should ever interact with kids (none unsupervised), but if you have experience with exotics and your kids have an understanding of what they can and can't do around animals, I would go with a wallaby. I have never had any, but I have friends that do and I hear great things about them. Bottle raise a baby to ensure a bond and raise it with alot of interaction. I wouldn't buy a weaned or sub adult joey even if the seller bottle raised it themselves (like I said, you want that bond) Wallabies and kangaroos both can kick hard, but a wallaby is much smaller. Roos are too big and powerful. I am not saying that a kick from these is guaranteed to happen, but why risk it, especially on kids?
Hope this helps

Old 04-11-2008, 11:23 PM   #9
mus1cizmythang
Oh my goodness, thankyou SO much that information was very helpful.
Anything else you know or find out would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
  Contact User Check User
Old 05-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #10
TTexotics
Wallabies would definantly be your best choice out of the animals you listed. Coatis like some of the other people have said, are VERY unpredictable. They're also roudy and with 3 children it would be much too much of a risk to try and keep a coati in a home setting. I own 2 wallabies and have babies once or twice a year. I can tell you, a baby wallaby you hand raised is ALOT of fun. You can bring the babies places with you in a carrying pouch, you get to hand feed - which is great bonding and they're just so cute. They're not noisy and they don't make too many messes. As long as they're raised with your children they shouldn't have a problem being around them. Wallabies are jumpy though and don't like loud noises and fast movement. Your children would have to be gental with it untill it trusted them. Baby wallabies will occasionally throw temper tantrums, my babies will sometimes run up and grab my pant legg with their hands using me for balance and kick me with their hind feet. This doesn't bother me as an adult but for someone that's shorter (a child) it may hurt, or atleast startle them. I guess it would all depend on how old the children are. Young children generally shouldn't be kept around any exotics, due to the fact that the children are unpredictable and don't know how to properly act around wild animals to make the animals feel comfortable. Either way out of the animals you chose, a wallaby would be your best bet to have as a "pet."
Wallabies do need an outside enclosure (or it's good to have one anyway) once they get older. You can teach them to use a diaper but they do enjoy being outdoors. They don't do well on a harness because they startle too easily and can hurt themselves if they try and take off running and hit the end of a lead with no slack. Because the way most harnesses are made, they lay right accross the collar bone on the wallabies and can snap this bone is the wallabies hit the end of the lead with too much force, causing instant death. My wallabies are kept in an outside 50ft by 25ft pen with a 10ft by 8ft house on it to keep them out of the weather and safe from preditors at night. I hope some of my info helped in your decision. I love my wallabies to peices and they are REALLY one of the easiest exotics I've ever had to care for in all of my experiance with exotics. If you want to ask any specific questions you can e-mail me at kanucas4@aol.com. My name is Kiki. I do have a baby wallaby in pouch right now that will be pulled for hand feeding in Oct/Nov.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread