New cage in the works! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
mxracer4life
New cage in the works!

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know I am in the works of buildingmy first customer wooden cage. It'sg going great, have had hardly any troubles at all. I did have one question, just for some extra ideas. I would like to put some kind of center support in the middle, just so it will be more stable. My cage is 5' long x 3' wide x 2' tall. I was going to make a center support out of 3/4'' wood just like the rest is. With the cage being 2' tall, if I made a support that was, say 1' tall, would this create a "hot" side and a "cool" side? That would leave a ft of space underneath for my redtail to crawl under? Just an idea. Thanks.

Jeremy

p.s. I will get some pics of it as soon as I get the door finished.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
mxracer4life
Here are some beginning pictures.

I will get some better pictures here soon. I am debating on if I should make it stand on its side, so the floor space is 2' x 5' x 3' tall or if I should make it 2' tall and 3' x 5' floor space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snake cage 1.jpg (8.9 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg snake cage 2.jpg (15.2 KB, 350 views)

Old 08-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
Chris_Harper2
Response to the second post first, I would set up the carcass both ways and place your snake in it and see what you like. I do tend to like taller cages for viewing purposes and tend to dislike cages that are hard to reach the back of. I think 30" is about the depth (front to back) limit for a cage you can't walk into. So my gut reaction to the second post would be 3' tall and 2' front to back.

For the first post, I'm not sure if I completely understand what you are trying to do. If I'm visualizing it correctly, I think you could build a support in the middle of the cage and then have a shelf that runs off that support on one side of the cage only. This would create both a ledge for the snake to crawl under and a shelf for the snake to bask on.

And this could be done in a way that would increase the temperature gradiant in the cage compared to just have a large open cage.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
mxracer4life
I like your idea about the shelf. What I have decided to do is make it 5' long x 3' wide x 2' tall. I have cut out a square in the front and installed some plexiglass. I am going to put a shelf on the right side, about half way up, so I can have a basking spot for the snake and it can also get underneath the shelf as a hide. It looks like it would be better if I placed the cage on its side for viewing purposes, but I thought about cleaning as well. It will be easier for me to make the whole top the door and then I can actually get in the cage to clean it thoroughly. I appreciate the idea though. What kind of substrate do you use? I was going to start out with newspaper but for looks I would like something else, plus for the humidity. Thanks!

Jeremy

Old 08-19-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
mxracer4life
New pictures of enclosure

Here are some updated pictures. Still fine tuning everything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snake cage 3.jpg (28.5 KB, 319 views)

Old 08-19-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
I cant tell in your images or not, but is the light in the cage covered so that the snake wont be burned?

Old 08-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
mxracer4life
Actually right now it is not covered. I am completely aware of what can happen doing it this way. My reason for not covering is because my thermostat and ceramic heater failed and I have a new one that will be here today. I have made a small metal cage that will go around it. I was in a pinch and my heat quit so I put a bulb in there, which is keeping it good and warm but I am nervous of her getting burned. I will get some pictures up here tomorrow once I get my emitter on there I will install my protective cage.

Jeremy

Old 08-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer4life
Actually right now it is not covered. I am completely aware of what can happen doing it this way. My reason for not covering is because my thermostat and ceramic heater failed and I have a new one that will be here today. I have made a small metal cage that will go around it. I was in a pinch and my heat quit so I put a bulb in there, which is keeping it good and warm but I am nervous of her getting burned. I will get some pictures up here tomorrow once I get my emitter on there I will install my protective cage.

Jeremy
thats good!

Its a nice looking cage, are you going to be setting it up on something? or leave it on the floor?

Old 08-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
mxracer4life
Thank you! I have quite a bit of work into it. I am thinking about putting it on some type of stand and making the front the door instead of the top. But I haven't got my new pictures yet but I will after this weekend.

Jeremy

Old 09-22-2008, 09:17 AM   #10
mxracer4life
Some more improvements!

I have made a few improvements to the cage, let me know what you think.

Jeremy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!