Nature Coast Exotics… DISHONEST, DEADBEAT, CONMAN!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:44 AM   #1
COBRA Wildlife Expor
Nature Coast Exotics… DISHONEST, DEADBEAT, CONMAN!!!!

I wanted to repost this with a proper heading. When one sends a reply to a thread, the original heading keeps popping up and I think it is misleading since the heading for Nature Coast Exotics keeps coming up as “Nature Coast Exotics… GOOD GUYS!”. I fear people are just glancing at the heading and thinking there are only good things about Chris Hunter posted. I am of the strong opinion people should be warned about crooks like this. Had I checked around, I would have quickly found this is not a reputable person to deal with. I am reposting my reply to an ongoing thread about a pack of total lies Chris Hunter posted in response to my first consumer warning about this clown.

-Mike Roberts

Chris,

I have been thinking about this and I am beside myself with the nerve you have! I can back up everything I said and for you to claim I sent you something you didn’t want just burns me up! First of all, I live far from the airport and Georgetown. For me to put together a shipment and get it out is a major production. Just the logistics would spook most people off, for the money involved. Then there is the fact you are claiming you didn’t order the animals I sent. Let’s just look at that for a minute. Who in their right mind would send such huge caiman thinking there would even be a slight possibility of not getting paid for them? Caiman that size are extremely leery and difficult to capture. They live in the most remote and inaccessible areas. It sometimes takes the better part of a day just to get to them. Remember, they did not get that large by being stupid and they almost always submerge with the slightest ripple or odd noise. You try paddling an aluminum boat up on one and grabbing it by the neck with both hands! Then, if you don’t go overboard, (piranha, electric eels, freshwater stingrays…) deal with one flopping in the boat. I even told you it was a mistake to take the order but I would keep my word and fill it!! Unlike baby and sub-adults, they seldom miss when they snap and if that jaw lands on your hand you can forget a quick dash to the hospital. Next, you are crying I charged you $200 each? That is simply amazing to me! Would you take this job? I went the extra (countless) mile(s) for you and you didn’t even pay! What a conman you are!!

I can’t even imagine anyone believing you got shafted on that deal. Believe me, I wasn’t getting rich! I would do much better to drift the edge looking for oddball Emerald and Cooks! It sure is a lot more enjoyable, lucrative and easy!

By the way, you accuse me of “talking trash” about you? Have you even checked around to see what your rep. is? I’m just amazed you had any positive posts on this site. If I were you, I would frame them and try to remember those words as your business goes down the tubes. You can’t treat people like this without it catching up to you!

-Mike Roberts
COBRA Wildlife Exporters
Guyana, South America
592-774-4624

Old 07-31-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
Laura Fopiano
Mike, some details of your business transaction would be quite helpful in making your case. Do you have emails to back up your claims against him? Did he contact you first?

Old 07-31-2006, 11:58 AM   #3
COBRA Wildlife Expor
Hi Laura,

Yes, I can back up everything. I think you picked up this conversation in the middle. I knew many would. There was another thread going but each time it was responded to, the heading was “Nature Coast Exotics… Good Guys!!!” which is a shame as it leads many to believe everyone loves this guy. I wanted to move the conversation to a new thread so people could see the more important heading of what a deadbeat he is. I sure wish I had known his track record before I dealt with him.

I have all the e-mails from Chris Hunter, which detail everything. He uses a few e-mail addresses so it’s a little hard to track down his shifty dealings. We hired an attorney in Miami and have extremely detailed records on all (except our phone conversations) communications.

To pick up the story from the start, please visit: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=75695

I first responded to the thread so others were not led into the false feeling this is an honest man. I think it’s great someone is happy with Chris Hunter and perhaps he is truly trying to shape up but all should be aware of his tendency to rip people off.

-Mike

Old 07-31-2006, 10:21 PM   #4
COBRA Wildlife Expor
The Whole Ugly Story! Sad But True...

Laura,

Since you asked, I will cut and copy several of Chris Hunter’s emails and try to paint the picture as things happened. Normally, I would never share a customer’s conversations like this and prefer to stay out of everyone’s business but it just makes me furious to read the boldfaced lies Chris Hunter posted. I can only assume he is telling people much the same story. The simple truth of the mater is I went above and beyond what, I think, anyone else would have done to insure Chris got what he wanted.

On the evening of January 23rd, 2005, I noticed a Nature Coast Exotics add on Kingsnake.com. I wrote and asked in they would be interested in importing animals. Chris Hunter immediately wrote back, asking for a list of what was available.

After a few emails and several pictures, all on the same day,

Mr. Hunter writes:
“Your exactly the type of exporter I am looking for!!!! Those are some good looking animals for sure !!! Where those big tortoises from the basin? Those are the kind of animals I am looking for nice and big. Where do we go from here? Do I tell you what I want or do you tell me what you have? Can we do something before the quotas are up? Let me know.”

We continue to have fine communication and I send several pictures.

On 4/1/05 I told Mr. Hunter these terms and gave this guarantee:
“I think fare terms are 50% up front and 50% within 48 hours of animals landing. I guarantee EVERYTHING and in most cases you will have digital pictures of animals before I ship. I'll also get you EXACTLY what you want as I will custom make each order for you.”

62 minutes later, Mr. Hunter wrote back:
“This would be cash 50% up front 50% with in 48 hours no waiting BS.. How much is freight up to per kilo? Do you know?

Let me know what you think
Thanks Chris”

We continue to communicate and decided on prices that work for both of us. On 4/20/05, I wrote and told him the 2005 was opened and I immediately began to hunt and collect.

Anyone who knows me can testify, I am real big on communication. I dare say, I may even overwhelm importers with the amount of communication I expect. I always want to make sure we all have a crystal clear understanding of exactly what is wanted, shipped, the terms and price. On 4/22/05 I sent Mr. Hunter eight (8) emails with pictures and details on every animal I was holding for his order. He wrote me nine (9) times, that day. I told him I was about to make the long and costly trip into the capital city of Georgetown to apply with the government for permission to ship and submit requests for the CITES and NON-CITES papers. Since the Georgetown trip is a long and miserable day, I wanted to make sure we got everything right the first time.

[b]On the afternoon of 4/22/05, I wrote:[/B]
“I don't like surprises so please look over EVERYTHING and make sure we are on the same page. These are your shipping papers but they are worthless until we get the CITES and stamps from the ministry. This is what I'll turn in Monday. Also, I have sketched out a crate inventory to let us know roughly what to expect this shipment to look like and there is an initial cost estimate. Again, please double check EVERYTHING and let me know if we have good communication on everything.”

Mr. Hunter wrote soon wrote back:
"Everything looks good to me. Just change the yellowfoots to all girls and make sure all of the adult caiman are over 40" with a few JUMBOS for my self. Can you do more than 5 baby caiman or not?
Let me know
Thanks”

On 4/26/05, I notified Mr. Hunter we were looking at a ship date of 5/10/05. We continued to communicate daily and I continued sending pictures. If Mr. Hunter questioned an animal, I replaced it. He also kept asking for more and more items.

On 5/5/05, I sent more pictures.

Mr. Hunter writes:
“AWESOME!!! LOOKS GREAT!!!

I was down in Miami Yesterday and these guys were talking about you!!! They were saying this guy Pete from incredible pets has this guy in SA that sends him some of the coolest color and patterned snakes he has ever seen come from down there!! He says Pete gets top dolor for them but they are worth every penny as the guy is the best!! He also said Pete went down there and set you up. Built your cages and holding pens ect.. Whether him going down there and setting you up is true or not I don't know but I did get real excited as they were talking highly about you.. OF COURSE I DIDN"T SAY A WORD ABOUT ANYTHING!! I was just listening.. I guess what I am saying is ANYTHING ANY SIZE that you think will bring good money send it to me!! From what those guys said yesterday you are THE MAN when it comes to sending cool stuff to the US. Don't let your head swell up and cut me out I just wanted to pass on the good word people have been saying about you.. ALSO like that big female red tail if I get more for the cool stuff I will kick more $$ your way... So yes I will take her!! Color or pattern or being odd definitely out ways the sizes I want. So when you are getting my stuff think of the size I want last.

I see another email from you I will answer it next
Thanks”

The truth is I built my station according to CITES regulations (one of the few in the country) I sent several more pictures and:

I wrote back, 21 minutes later:
He (Pete) did teach me a lot and he’s a cool guy who I hunt and fish with, when I'm in the States, but he has never set foot down here or invested a cent in my station. I have welcomed him down but he has never come.

Mr. Hunter replies in less than an hour:
“MIKE YOU ARE THER MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those are some awesome caiman!!!!!!!! I didn't figure Pete set you up. Pete was just stretching the truth some but I thought you should know. Hey at least it was all good stuff right? Pete might have just said that so other people would think that if he help set it up it must be done right. Actually I can see were people would feel better knowing someone that knows what is what is holding and shipping these animals.. Do you follow??

Well thanks for the pics and keep me up to date..”

After many e-mails and countless pictures, Mr. Hunter’s order was at long last together. My wife and I started to pack on the night of 5/8/05. Each caiman had the size and sex written on the crate it was in. Mr. Hunter knew EXACTLY what we shipped and personally Oked everything!! It was a sizable order that also included:

Anacondas
Redtail Boas
Wedgehead Caiman
Smoothfront Caiman
Wood Turtles
Scorpion Mud Turtles
Gibbus Side-Necked Turtles
Amevia Lizards
Golden Tegu
Emerald Tree Boas
Rainbow Boas
Amazon Tree Boas

Here is where the first red flag popped up! Hunter says he needs net 30 terms on the second half as he has some big deals in the works and spread himself too thin. Since there was nothing of concern with his payment on the first part of the order, I said it would be no problem. We had so much time invested, I considered him a friend and wanted to work with him any way I could. Besides, what other choice did I have when my station was maxed out with his stuff?

I headed out for the airport at 2AM. The afternoon of 5/9/05, I got to the international airport with the shipment of animals and we weighed off. Total weight = 499lbs. I was issued airway bill # 810-56074432, for the amount of $870.16. I called my wife and she e-mailed Mr. Hunter the airway bill number within minutes of me receiving it (5/9/05).

I cleared Guyana Customs in the wee hours of the 10th and headed for home. Upon my arrival, I immediately e-mailed Mr. Hunter an update on everything and let him know it all left without a hitch.

The shipment arrived in Miami on the evening of the 10th and Mr. Hunter had his broker clear it first thing on the 11th. At 4:15AM, on the 12th,

Mr. Hunter Wrote:
“Mike I just went threw everything and it is AWESOME!!!! There was just the one dead caiman. I will send you pics in the morning. I didn't put the snakes up yet but I did look at them all and they look great as far as I could see. There is a couple of the caiman that are a little skinny but they should be fine. The big caiman are out of this world!!!!! They are the best!!! I didn't even see any dead amevias or tegus they all look fat and good so far. The yellow foots are huge!!! and perfect. I am really pleased with all the animals and can't wait for the next shipment.

I need some sleep but I will get back to you in the morning but everything is awesome you did a great job!!! Thanks a million I hope to continue this for a long time!!! Thanks again and talk to you tomorrow. Your the man Mike THANKS!!!!
Chris
PS When you get time I need a new bill with everything on there so I can get you paid and get the next one coming!!!!”

On 5/12/05, Mr. Hunter informed me the largest caiman had a damaged eye. I offered him a discount, since I honestly didn’t notice.

Early on the morning of May 13th ,(pay close attention to this one!!)

Mr. Hunter Writes:
“I am not sweating the eye thing at all he is awesome!!! The girls I got were huge so the ratio was fine with me. I will write later I am swamped right now..
Thanks Chris!!
PS No regurges at all!!!!!! awesome stuff!!!!”

Now, I ask ALL readers: Does this sound like a happy importer? He placed another order and I applied for more paperwork. I started collecting and quarantining animals. The second order was to be heavy on breeder sized female caiman to make up for the heavy male ratio of the first order. Everyone was happy!

On May 15th, I inquired as to the animals health.

Mr. Hunter writes:
“Hey they are going great!!! I just got most of the stuff on the website today and already I have like 10 orders. A couple of things I am playing with like those jumbo yellow foots and a couple of those caiman. If I get big money for any of it I will for sure pass it on. It should be a busy week and I should sell a bunch. Are you going to be that Emerald tomorrow? Do you think you will find anymore yellow foots 14"+ if not I don't want to let these go to cheap. Well I feel like crap I must have the flu or something. I will give you a better up date tomorrow
Thanks Chris”

That’s when communication slowed down on the side of Nature Coast Exotics. I didn’t mind, I was hunting and collecting like a madman. I was sending pictures on everything cool I came across. I was just assuming he was fine with everything and busy making sales.

On March 27th, 2005, I get an email stating he was sending a check. The amount was not correct so I immediately wrote back. Three days later, (!!!) I get this:

Mr. Hunter Writes:
“You are right on the total Mary wrote the check out based on the wrong estimate. I am sorry. I will have you the rest in the mail on Tuesday as the PO is closed today I will have it mailed priority so you dad has it on Wednesday. Sorry
Chris”

Not a word was heard, not an email answered and not a check received! On 6/24/05,

Mr. Hunter Writes:
“Sorry that I haven't contacted you sooner. I have had some personal and business problems that hindered my operation for a few weeks. I am going to pay you what you are owed as soon as I can. I have lowered the price on the stuff I got from you to move it out and get you paid. I will just pay you via paypal every time I get some money until I get you paid off. I still have all the big caiman and you can see the site I still have a lot of what you sent me. I know that's not your problem but with the problems I have had lately I will do the best I can do to get you paid off..
Thanks Chris”

I felt sorry for the guy. I said I understand and it’s no problem. I tried to call but to no avail. At least he said he would pay, right?

On June 5th, 2005, I received $237 through PayPal. On June 22nd, I received another $250 on PayPal. I still have no idea how Chris arrived at those amounts and he was not communicating in any way. Nothing came in July. Not even another excuse!

In August, I reported the matter to the Guyana Wildlife Authorities and requested no papers be made in the name of Nature Coast Exotics or Chris Hunter, until this matter was settled. Alona Sankar, the head of the wildlife trade, sent Mr. Hunter a letter of inquiry. Of course, it also went unanswered. What could he really say, anyway?

On 8/16/05, Mr. Hunter emails and asked if I will clear things up with the Guyana Wildlife Authority and BBB (I eventually filed a report) if he paid. I assured him I would. Later the same day,

Mr. Hunter Writes:

“Like I told you before, I have a couple of big sales working and as soon as that happens, you will be paid off. I am not going to screw you on this. I am just asking you to work with me on it

Thanks, Chris”

Just like that, Mr. Hunter vanished off the face of the earth. Emails could not get a response. Letters went unanswered. I tried to call several times but he would not pick up the phone. Interestingly enough, he picked up after a ring or two when we called from different locations, in FL, as he must not have recognized the number. Funny, when we put the order together and for a shot time after he received the animals, he always returned phone calls within the hour, if he didn’t pick up on the first ring or two. He sent me 89 e-mails, while we built this thing. He only got scarce when the money was due.

On February 14th, 2006, I hired Russell Law Offices, in Miami, FL, to file a lawsuit against Chris Hunter, of Nature Coast Exotics. Although Hunter has had to sign for letters from the Guyana Wildlife Authority and Russell Law Offices, he still refuses to communicate.

I went through the trouble of writing this lengthy, detailed, report so many might see the kind of man Chris Hunter is. It is people like this that tarnish the trade. I did my dead level best to ship the best animals out there and Mr. Hunter loved everything until he was expected to pay. What a rip off!

We all realize, the Amazon Basin is not a pet store where one can browse the isles picking only what one wants but I still did my very best to provide that kind of service. The truth of the mater is this is an unimaginable, dense and unforgiving jungle that can only be worked in with blood, sweat, tears and endless red tape. I went far above and beyond the norm for Mr. Hunter and it sure upsets me that he didn’t feel the need to pay and it infuriates me he would only pop up to slander me with his wild tales and crazy memory of things. One sure has to admire (or make a case study of) such an imagination, however.

The public should use extreme caution when dealing with this man. If one still wants to buy or sell anything to Nature Coast Exotics, keep your fingers crossed he holds to his end of the deal. If he doesn’t, be prepared for him to respond without any morals, ethics or honesty.

Chris, is it all worth it? I have a family I’m trying my best to support! What nerve you have to say I tried to rip you off!

If anyone wants any more information on this matter or anything else, please feel free to contact me.

Mike Roberts
COBRA Wildlife Exporters
Guyana, South America

Old 07-31-2006, 11:01 PM   #5
uncleray
I had problems with him several years ago, but now I broker for him and he and Mary always pay me immediately. Sorry for your bad experience, I for one have no complaints about him at this point.
Thanks,
Roy

Old 08-03-2006, 08:49 AM   #6
COBRA Wildlife Expor
I knew Chris Hunter had a long track record of ripping people off and this is yet another example. I am encouraged that, in this case, his conscience got the best of him and he made right,… in the long run. It gives us hope he’ll pay his bill and we’ll move on. Let’s all keep our fingers crossed!

-Mike

Old 08-03-2006, 09:43 AM   #7
pythonregius35
I don't like the way he (Chris) talks about Pete!! I worked for Pete in Melbourne and he's definately one of the good guys out there. He owns the BEST petstore I've ever worked in or have been in!!
I also have seen and worked with MANY of Mike's animals. They're absolutley AWESOME!! I really loved the striped guyanas!! I'd recommend his animals to anyone!!!

Old 08-03-2006, 03:27 PM   #8
COBRA Wildlife Expor
I refuse to add to the post that claims “Nature Coast Exotics…Good Guys” without adding to the post with this more accurate heading.

Wow, it amazes me of how many kids there in on the trade. Not that that’s a bad thing,…

I recently sent an order to a guy, who contacted me. He had a company and all the right import/export documents for us to work together. No problem! Everything went well! He turned up to be a stand up guy, in my estimation. True to his word!!!! He loved the animals and paid without delay. One day, we were shooting the breeze and he mentioned he was a Jr. in high school. What the….? I must admit, this guy seemed to have the world by the tail and did right by me. Nothing wrong with that! He was true to his word. BUT, when someone 16 starts talking about having “their attorney” get after someone, I gotta wonder! I have a clear-cut case against Chris Hunter, at Nature Coast Exotics, and STILL I had to pony up the cash before anyone was willing to drag this bozo to court!!!!

It was not money lost, however, as COBRA is now incorporated in FL. It was only the next logistical step in the evolution COBRA Imports. Anyway, I sure hate to be involved is such a case.

Chris, I see you have corrected your rip off stunts with others. I plead, for all of us, you pay your bill of $1,600! Are you seriously thinking that is some huge unjustified amount? Ha?… I would much rather count you as a satisfied customer/friend than have to deal with all this mess. (Guess it’s too late for that?) You see we are serious about recovering our money! Do we need to keep moving forward with the court case? Do you think you can possibly win? People with more experience than us say you will claim bankruptcy, rather than pay the bill (animals you bought and didn’t pay for, animals we quarantined – ON YOUR DIRECT & DOCUMENTED ORDER and legal expense). Is that what you want? Knowing the truth, are you really willing to toss the dice? Just pay us the $1,600 and we’ll move on! If you really want to go with Plan B, we are talking about legal expense and the entire holding station of animals I had from you. Please remember, I turn records, and get inspected monthly, by the Guyana Wildlife Authorities. ALL I had in quarantine, for you was recorded and documented by the governmental veterinarian, Dr. Applewaite. (Please feel free to contact him – Want the contact information?) Knowing what is to loose, I stand in amazement at your nerve? Are you truly that stupid or are you that sure of your case?

I fully understand, we all go through ‘tff’ times and I can sympathize with the difficulties you had in your personal life and business relationships. I told you, I would work with you!

PLEASE, just pay what you owe and let’s call this “water under the bridge!” You know I grew up almost directly across the state from you and I assume you were yet another importer that thought you would rip off someone in South America, but I hope you can see that’s not the case. PLEASE, just pay your $1,600 and we’ll forget about the several grand you had in my station, the money I invested in Guyana export taxes & levies, on your next order and all the lawyer expenses. Also, know, I would love nothing more than stop the Guyana Wildlife Authorities from refusing to make papers in the name of “Chris Hunter” or “Nature Coast Exotics”. The more we can ship to the better for all us exporters. It would also get BBB off your back and it will stop me from warning people about your deeply entrenched tendencies to rip people off. We already have one person you conned, claiming you made right. Please make it Two!!

Mike Roberts
COBRA Wildlife Exporters
Lot 34 Stelling Road / Adventure
Essequibo Coast, Guyana
South America
011-592-774-4624
teamguyana@solutions2000,net

Old 08-08-2006, 02:05 AM   #9
COBRA Wildlife Expor
I have had several people contact me privately about the shady dealings of Chris Hunter, of Nature Coast Exotics has pulled. I want to encourage you to post them here so everyone may see the different names he has used and all the people he has ripped off, over the years. He is presently posting adds and people should know his long track record of being a total deadbeat. The guy is a total conman!

Also, Hunter claims he will sell the +40” Dwarf caiman (mostly males) he stole from me for the $200 he originally agreed to pay me for them. If anyone can bail him out of this mess he has created, I would be more than happy as we try to chip away at the money he owes us! Please send me an e-mail and together we’ll try to track Hunter down. So many people are screaming for his hide, he almost never answers the phone (unless it’s someone he can attempt to sell to).

Mike Roberts
COBRA Wildlife Exporters
Guyana, S.A.
011-592-774-4624
teamguyana@solutions2000.net

Old 08-10-2006, 04:33 AM   #10
COBRA Wildlife Expor
Chris Hunter - Nature Coast Exotics - Total Deadbeat!

Please review Attached Letter...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 06-03-15 Demand letter.pdf (14.7 KB, 188 views)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!