People feeding wildlife around my home. Problem? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 11-02-2003, 07:37 PM   #1
Janie Manaski
Angry People feeding wildlife around my home. Problem?

I've lived in the suburbs all my life, right next to a large park/"nature area." It used to be that we'd see a deer/fox/racoon every couple years-- so rare were the sightings that they were really a treat.

Now it's the total opposite. I was out there today and had four foxes and six deer around me all at once. This is about 100 yards from a busy street and a neighborhood full of houses. I love the animals out there but am alarmed about their lack of fear and their abundance. Our neighbors had their fence torn down by a deer last year and several people in the neighborhood complain about the wildlife eating their plants. I'm afraid the parks system is going to be forced to come and solve the population problems by euthinization.

Now, today I was out there taking photos of the foxes, deer and squirrels for some artwork I am doing and a woman approached the deer and I with a huge bag full of corn and bread. I asked her nicely to please not feed the animals and I informed her that it is illegal in our city to feed wild animals. She became very angry at me, telling me that I was just a child with a lot to learn and that she is helping "God's creatures." I informed her that I've lived here all my life and have seen the deer and fox populations shoot way up along with the problems that brings. I told her that the city will soon be forced to do something about all the complaints of errant animals. She told me I was mean and cruel and should just go home.

I have digital photos of her feeding the animals. I know it isn't the biggest of deals, but I feel like I should do something. I also do feel mean because she obviously believed she was helping the animals out. What should I do? Is anything I do going to be constructive? I often go take photographs of the bold little creatures out there for this suburban wildlife artwork I am doing and I know I'll see her again. Any suggestions?

Old 11-02-2003, 08:17 PM   #2
Copperheadman
I don't know where you live Janie,but here in AR it's illegal to feed animals like that.There was an incident a few years ago with a lady in southern AR that had been warned against feeding bears on her property,she kept shrugging off these warnig from Game and Fish until it came to her being mauled by a sow,barley escaping with her life and they did indeed euthanize the sow AND her cub.Go figure.

Also this lady you speak of is doing nothing but helping the deer population on it's way to being wiped out with disease and it loss of fear to humans. Two years there is a little town near me that ended up having to open an archery only deer season to help thin out the population.And it worked.Something like that MAY help with the population of wildlife in your neck of the woods if someone can convince the local government to start it I have see a bad disease year for deer and it is terrible to see these creatures stumbling around in the heat and broad daylight as if they are blind.

She was gonna feed it bread???Not the smartest choice I reckon,but with the rut season coming up,she may not wanna be approaching any bucks,or she could end up like the bear lady and see the ugly side of "God's creatures"

Just my two cents

Old 11-03-2003, 07:31 PM   #3
Texas Atrox
Sounds like the wildlife department may need to pay some attn to that situation. I would give them a call and at least and let them know what is going on. If nothing else it sounds like the area is possibly over populated and some animals could use some relocating.

Dave

Old 11-07-2003, 05:31 AM   #4
BrianB
Definately euthanize that lady! No, wait... that's not it. If you see her again, take some more pics and report her. It's not like you didn't warn her. She's not doing the animals any favors.

Old 11-07-2003, 08:41 PM   #5
Glenn Bartley
There could hypothetically be another approach to this woman who is feeding the animals. I am not about to suggest that you do what I am about to write about, in fact I recommend that you do not do it and mention a it only as a hypothetical situation.

Hypothetically speaking: Someone could tell her that they have now seen the light and that she is right to feed all the animals. Then that someone could offer the lady some sure fire ways to help attract more deer in the form of deer scent from the hunting department of a sporting good store. Doe in heat scent along with some dominant buck urine may be, hypotetically speaking, quite the things to help her attract more deer. She could be told (but I strongly recommend against this) to put some of this stuff on her clothing to help attract deer.

If you were to hypothetically do that and she used the deer scent, then you would, hypothetically speaking, probably not have her around all that long since she would be running from the bucks who would either want to fight her or mount her. Of course if they caught her, the only thing left to worry about might be some sort of manslaughter charge against you; and that is why I strongly recommend against doing any of the above - except maybe for running it through your mind as a hypothetical or fantasy situation.

In the real world I would report her to state game officials and let them handle her.

Old 11-07-2003, 11:11 PM   #6
Texas Atrox
LMAO GLENN!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!