Pygmy Chameleons - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-20-2003, 08:59 PM   #1
mycurlylocks
Pygmy Chameleons

Could anyone give me ideas on what I need to set up pygmys?
Are they easy to take care of?
Thanks, Candy

Old 03-21-2003, 08:07 PM   #2
Dingo
What genus/species?

There is a few different species being referred to as a Pygmy chameleon.

If you are talking about Brookesia, I have a small group of B. thieli. I have them setup in an aquarium with 3 screened sides. I have an ultrasonic humidifier piped into it to keep humidity up. I mist them 3 times a day as well as having a dripper setup. I use a reptisun strip light and a 50w spot bulb at one end to create a thermal gradient, though they rarely bask under it. I use dead leaves as a substrate with low growing plants in pots. I have many, small, low branches that they can climb on as well. I keep the humidity between 80-100%. The temps between 70-78 degrees. I cup feed them small roaches, crickets, silkies, greenlacewings and anything else small I can find. I use Quantum Shade series vitamins as a supplement. I have had them for several months, and I havent had any problems with them. They are a wonderful species and I am left wanting to get more species of Brookesia.

Chameleon news posted a great article on Brookesia in Sept 2002. There is a link to a good key for figuring out what species of brookesia you have somewhere in the article. Great care and setup info.
Chameleon News E-zine

Here is a quick reference for their environmental needs and general info:

Chameleons Online

I hope this is of some help to you.
Or if this isnt the genus you were talking about, let me know the scientific name and I may be able to help you find some info.

Take care,

Old 08-21-2003, 09:59 PM   #3
Sssnaker boy
hey im want to get a veiled chameleon and ive looked them up and all but i want to know if you had any info i cold use about the cage or feeding it or maybe even some of your own expierences.

thanks

Old 08-21-2003, 10:25 PM   #4
Sssnaker boy
hey im want to get a veiled chameleon and ive looked them up and all but i want to know if you had any info i cold use about the cage or feeding it or maybe even some of your own expierences.

thanks

Old 08-22-2003, 10:54 PM   #5
Dingo
Hey Sssnaker,

Veileds are a great choice. While they are the easiest, it is only relative. No chameleon is easy to care for. They still have rather strict requirements as far as husbandry and caging. Read all that you can on them and get your cage completely up and running right, long before you get your chameleon. Pay close attention to temps, humidity, watering, lighting, and feeding a well assorted, gutloaded diet with good vitamin D3 supplementation. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will try to help.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!