A story about "Lucky"... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 09-12-2003, 05:43 PM   #1
John Albrecht
A story about "Lucky"...

Lucky is a frog. A Green Tree frog to be precise. Lucky is a very lucky girl frog. When I found Lucky she wasn't looking so lucky. I found Lucky late at night in the rain on a busy road in South Carolina. Normally I see so many countless anurans smashed on the road that I've just sort of built up a tolerance for it and it doesn't even phase me. But this little bit of bright green, smashed mush on the road looked like it moved. It was hard to tell for sure that it even was a frog at all as my normal road cruising speed is betwen 50-55 mph. You might question the fruitfulness of road cruising at that speed but then that is a whole different story.
Anyways. I turned back and got out to see this little smushed bright green thing and sure enough, it was a Green Tree frog. Not dead yet, but pretty hopeless. The fact that it was still kicking its hind legs told me that it wasn't actually "run over" but instead maybe it had jumped up with impecable timing and bounced off someones front bumper. It's skull appeared to be mush, it kind of looked like its back was broken and its right eyeball was sort of protruding from the head with some blood dripping from it. It occurred to me that I should put it out of its misery. But something about this frog still trying to jump by kicking its hind legs made me think about the value of life. Against my own better judgement I scraped "Lucky" off the road and put her into a small container to take home.
Since I have had Lucky I have tried occassionally to feed her without success. But I did notice that after a few weeks she seemed more alert and her eyeball was pretty much back in her head where it belonged. So I was encouraged for Lucky. But Lucky was getting pretty thin. I wanted to feed her, but I was worried about continually disturbing her. She definately needed her rest.
Well today, Lucky finally ate a cricket.! So I figured it was time for Lucky to have some time outside of her container. This was really the first thorough look I've had at Lucky since her arrival as I was worried about messing with her or handling her at all. I must say that I'm pretty amazed at how good Lucky looks but it also appears that she might be needing some plastic surgery before any boy Green Tree frogs would be willing to meet up with her. So here are some pictures. As you can see, Her head is healing up kind of crooked, but her back seems to be straightened out somewhat too.. I kind of like Lucky. I hope you do too.
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2003, 05:46 PM   #2
John Albrecht
Here is another picture of Lucky....
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2003, 05:47 PM   #3
John Albrecht
You want some more? Here's some more!

Ok. This is not a frog but what the hell. Since I'm posting pics I thought we might like to see a WC Florida corn!
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2003, 05:48 PM   #4
John Albrecht
Got to represent the Lampropeltis too!

Here's a picture of a Scarlet King. This is one damn huge Scarlet King. I thought it was an escaped Mexican Milk on the road. lol.
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2003, 05:55 PM   #5
John Albrecht
South Carolina is so cool!

You know you are in the right place when you see this! I just love it here in South Carolina.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!