Exotic Herps 28 (Just a friendy BUYER BEWARE) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-03-2004, 10:31 PM   #1
Safierdrgn
Stop! Exotic Herps 28 (Just a friendy BUYER BEWARE)

Sorry this is so long...it contains ALL our email conversations.

This was my first and last ReptiBid deal...yes I know not everyone on there is like this,however the stories I've read about ReptiBid sellers have been about the same.
Alexander Dooley of Exotic Herps 28 was/is advertising large adult female ball pythons cheap on ReptiBid. I emailed him asking for pics and weights of the females. After hearing back from him he told me the females are 3lbs-10lbs a piece and the pics looked decent. Alright so I figured big WC females...
I decided to give it a try and purchased 3 females with the idea that I was getting 3lb-10lb females...even asked for large females several times.

When the time came to ship he said he had to order heat packs so we waited a week to ship. Monday (11/1) they went out... Tuesday came and no snakes...I emailed him and he said my package got mixed up with someone elses(this is true) and my snakes ended up in Alaska of all states.

So he said he fixed the shipment(for $77),had them start shipping MY snakes from AK to my place in Illinois and they'd be here early Wednesday(11/3).

I got them this morning,opened the box, and all three of the snakes were loose(with 3 empty deli containers nothing to hold them closed). They had been packed in an UNinsulated cardboard box with one slightly warm heat pack,some styro peanuts and some newspaper...they were ice cold! And to top it off the largest female in there was 740grams. All three snakes are skinny,drank like crazy(by the way after the 740g stopped drinking she weighed in at 770g),and one of them had quite explosive diharrea. They are far away from my current small collection!

Below is our entire conversation and down at the bottom is the rest of what I have to say.

================================================== =============================================
Here's our email conversation. I'm sure you can figure out how it reads..
================================================== =================================================

Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:15:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Your auction - Ball Pythons
To: Info@Exoticherps28.com

I was wondering how much the female adult balls weigh(about) and if you have any pics of them?
Thanks

================================================== ============================

Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:15:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Ball Pythons
To: ExoticHerps28@aol.com

Ok couple more questions! I'd be wanting your biggest females(do I sound like everyone?) Are they WC or CB? How much would shipping be for 3 of your biggest females? And do I need to go through the auction? If so that's fine..I'll create an account.
Thanks
~Angela

ExoticHerps28@aol.com wrote:
Here are a few PICS<<Pics wouldn't work for copying and pasting>> of our adult female Ball Pythons, they weigh roughly 3-10 Pounds. Thank you for your interest & please let us know if we can help you with anything else.
Exotic Herps 28 Inc.
Enoc Alexander Dooley
President
================================================== =========================

Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:53:50 -0700 (PDT)

I appreciate that! What will the shipping be on these girls? I'll go to the auction ASAP!

OK not a problem we will put three of our largest females on hold for you. Yes, since they are on ReptiBid we would prefer you purchase through the auction & after you purchase we will add the discount to the price. All of our Ball Pythons are Captive Bred & are guaranteed 100% parasite free. Let us know if you have any other questions prior to purchasing.
================================================== =============================

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:23:59 -0700 (PDT)

You happen to get a total yet?

Tomorrow we will have a total for you. We need to weigh the package at our warehouse, yes we do accept PayPal Payments. I will let you know your total ASAP.
Thank You Enoc Alexander Dooley
For Choosing
Exotic Herps 28 INC. President
Your Trusted Source For
Quality Captive Bred
Reptiles & Amphibians
143 London Fog Way
================================================== ========================

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:42:34 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks! I figured something had happened, no need to apologize. I would like to pay via paypal if it's ok. I think I had asked before but can I get your three biggest girls? What are you feeding them and how often?
Is this your Paypal address? We'll try to get that payment to you later on this afternoon
Any day that's safe to ship for you is fine with me(please use a heat pack it's getting cold here in chicago!)..I'm home all the time. Just let me know what day you do ship.
Thanks again
~Angela Dean

Hi, IM sorry it took so long to get back to you with your total, but our computers went down & we are just now beginning to answer E-mails again. OK so you purchased three adult female ball pythons I believe the original price is $50.00 each but we offer discounts on quantity orders so your total on the Ball pythons is $90.00 at $30.00 each a total savings of $60.00 on the snakes & FedEx Overnight will be $66.52 which brings your total to $156.52. Will you be paying by PayPal? Let us know if we can help you with anything else.
Thank You Enoc Alexander Dooley
For Choosing
Exotic Herps 28 INC. President
Your Trusted Source For
Quality Captive Bred
Reptiles & Amphibians
143 London Fog Way
Sanford FL 32771
================================================== ==============================

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:16:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hey there, we sent the payment via paypal for the 3 big(please) female ball pythons, the shipping address on there is correct. They will definitely need a heat pack...the temps here have been in the upper 50's/low 60's and dropping down to low 40's at night. I'll be looking forward to getting them and I'll leave feedback for you on Reptibid.
Thanks!
Angela Dean
Please call if there are any problems - 815-651-XXXX

OK these ball pythons are currently feeding on young rats, I really don't know how often every single one eats they are offered food every week we get new ones in all the time & then they get sold most really only eat for us three times before they are sold. Our
E-mail address for payments is Sales@Exoticherps28.com you may send the payment when you can we really don't have a time limit so. Our shipments go out every Monday on routine FedEx pick up. If there is anything else we can do for you just let us know.
Thank you & have a great day.
Enoc Alexander Dooley
President of
Exotic Herps 28 INC.
Your Trusted Source For
Quality Captive Bred
Reptiles & Amphibians
================================================== =================================

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 20:32:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Shipping Info

Alright thanks

OK I looked all over to find heat packs for your order but I could not find any so we have placed an order for heat packs and they should arrive by Wednesday. I will let you know ASAP your order should be shipped by Thursday.
Enoc Alexander Dooley
President of
Exotic Herps 28 Inc.
Your Trusted Source For
Quality Captive Bred
Reptiles & Amphibians
================================================== =============================

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:17:08 -0700 (PDT)

Did you receive the heat packs yet?

(Replying to the same email above)
================================================== =====================
(I did not reply to this one)

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:24:50 EDT
To: aviansinoil@yahoo.com

We have just received them today, your order will go out on Monday, November 1, 2004. We will let you know your FedEx tracking # ASAP. Thank you for your business & if there is anything else we can do for you please let us know.
Enoc Alexander Dooley
President of
Exotic Herps 28 Inc.
Your Trusted Source For
Quality Captive Bred
Reptiles & Amphibians
================================================== ==========================

Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 09:15:39 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Shipment

I just hope the snakes make it through ok...how long of a heat pack did you put in there? It is freezing cold here.

(the package really did get mixed up...my box of ball pythons went to Alaska...yes Alaska.)

OK I am sorry to say, but your package got mixed up with another due to technical problems. I have corrected the problem with FedEx & they are now going to have to be rerouted to you. You will receive by tomorrow morning. (We have taken care of all extra costs of the shipment) I am sorry for the inconvenience this might have caused you. If there is anything wrong with the condition of your shipment please do not hesitate to notify us.
Enoc Alexander Dooley
President of
Exotic Herps 28 Inc.
Your Source For
Quality Captive Bred
Reptiles & Amphibians
================================================== ==================================

Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:58:59 -0800 (PST)

If it's the same tracking number then it's going to keep tracking the package that isn't mine...

The tracking number remains the same & the heat packs were 40 hours. We went ahead & made some changes in the service to assure live arrival, now they will be there tomorrow in the AM hours. I hope everything makes it there OK, I will check in with you in the morning to make sure you received everything in good health.
Enoc Alexander Dooley
President of
Exotic Herps 28 Inc.
Your Trusted Source For
Quality Captive Bred
Reptiles & Amphibians
================================================== ==================================

Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 08:31:28 -0800 (PST)

Well they arrived..all of them were loose in the box, freezing cold, and the biggest female you gave me was 740 grams. You told me you had 3-10lb females and were going to send me three of your largest. What happened there? No offense, but you can hardly call these adult..I have two juvenille ball pythons that are in the 800-900 gram range. I was hoping to get females that could possibly be bred this year and 3-10lb females could...but not these.

OK I am sorry (busy day), your new tracking number is: 848926248825 www.FedEx.com This is for your package, they mixed your package yesterday with one of our other shipments. It was delivered & rejected in AK, so it is on the way to you right now. As soon as you receive them please let us know how they made it.
Enoc Alexander Dooley
President of
Exotic Herps 28 Inc.
Your Trusted Source For
Quality Captive Bred
Reptiles & Amphibians
================================================== ===============================

Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:37:47 -0800 (PST)

I honestly don't know what to do about this. If I send them back to you I'll need to get heatpacks and a styro box(i am not sending them back in the uninsulated box you shipped them in). That's another $10 (and waiting a week for it to get here)on top of whatever it costs to ship them back. And it cost us $62 to have you ship 3lbs of snake to us. This is just a hobby for us and we don't have the money to throw away on stuff like this. So like I said...i don't know what to do.
~Angela

Oh No! I can't believe this. Well, the shipping mishap must have caused the unsafe arrival of your new pets. I do remember putting three of our largest on hold though, let me see what happened there. We are willing to work this out with you in any way possible & we are terribly sorry for the inconvenience this should not have happened. Please give us a response ASAP & please let us know how you would like us to fix the problem. Once again we are sorry for what has happened & we look forward to working with you ASAP.
Enoc Alexander Dooley
President of
Exotic Herps 28 INC.
Your Trusted Source For
Quality Captive Bred
Reptiles & Amphibians
================================================== =======================================

Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 13:54:09 EST

OK well nothing like this has ever happened before, that's why we were open to suggestions from you on how you would have liked us to handle it..... I don't know if you would want to send them back or not, (Stress on the animals) & yes it would end up costing someone quite a bit more money, I mean we already covered the extra costs to get the package rerouted to you Priority Overnight instead of standard that was an extra $77.00. I not quite sure how to handle this situation, but we have to do something for you. We can either exchange for what you were supposed to receive in the first place. Normally we do not give refunds only store credit, but in this situation I do not know what else to do the best we can do is have you ship them back & we can refund the costs of the snakes only. Your quick response is necessary for us to clear this situation. Thank you.
Enoc Alexander Dooley
President of
Exotic Herps 28 Inc.
Your Trusted Source For
Quality Captive Bred
Reptiles & Amphibians
================================================== ==================================================
(At this point I emailed asking for a phone number because the number on the shipping box and their website were both disconnected)
================================================== ==================================================

Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 13:52:19 -0800 (PST)

If you are unable to get any larger snakes why did you offer to ship larger females to us? What happened to the 3 large females you were holding for us? And why are you still offering adults on repti bid? 700 gram ball pythons are not adults...they were also severely dehydrated..the one 740gram ball put on 30 grams after drinking like a horse.
We'll call later to talk about this.

OK unfortunately we are unable to obtain any larger snakes at this time, so what we can do for you if you really do not want these snakes is you can return them to us under our FedEx account number at no extra costs to you & we will refund your $90.00, the only thing is a lot of money will be wasted by doing this (what you paid to ship, what we paid to fix the shipping problem & what we will now have to pay as well if you choose to return them.) Let us know what you plan on doing before you decide. If you would like you can call the Vice President of the company at home after 5:00 @ (407)-324-XXXX

================================================== ==============================================

From: ExoticHerps28@aol.com FPRIVATE "TYPE=PICT;ALT=Add to Address Book" Add to Address Book
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 17:13:16 EST

OK we are still selling these on ReptiBid because they are considered adult Ball Pythons, (we breed them at this size as well, right now we have three females the same size that are gravid). I was looking through all of our transactions that went through on the week of your purchase & we now know what happened, the ones that we were going to put on hold for you weighed about 7 1/2 pounds, but they were already sold as breeders at our location here in FL, I was not in the warehouse that day & I had know way of knowing that the last biggest girls I had were just sold. I would not have promised these snakes to you if I had known they were sold, & when we packed your order I must have forgotten all about just how large you did want. There is no reason why they would have been dehydrated though, I don't know what that is about. We provide a constant supply of water & food to all of our animals. Once again we are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused, & we are willing to do whatever it takes to satisfy you.
Enoc Alexander Dooley
President of
Exotic Herps 28 Inc.
Your Trusted Source For
Quality Captive Bred
Reptiles & Amphibians
================================================== ================================================== ==============
After this my boyfriend called about 8 times and finally got through to....his mother(suprise!) She explained that this was new for him, he had just started this business and had never shipped to a cold climate,being they are in Florida. And that all the ball pythons are captive bred..he bred them himself(uh huh).

After explaining that we wanted our money back and will ship the snakes back at their expense she agreed. We even explained to her HOW to ship reptiles.
As of now they're overnighting us a heatpack and supposedly refunding the money including shipping. So if he makes good on this,great(i will update this)...but I think he has a lot to learn in the reptile business. Just a heads up...we all have to start somewhere...he just picked a bad spot to start at.

I understand that I didn't pay a lot for these snakes and some of you might jump on me for that("You get what you pay for" and "If it sounds too good to be true"). But I did pay for them and wasn't sent what was advertised.

What did I learn from all of this? ReptiBid is scary, and no you don't always get what you paid for.

Old 11-03-2004, 10:39 PM   #2
SWAG
For future reference...

I'm sorry to hear about your bad deal.

In the future, if a seller tells you a weight like 3-10 lbs., they obviously have no idea what they are talking about. That's a pretty wide range. Furthermore, a 10 lb. BP is absolutely enormous. On its face you should distrust someone who makes that sort of claim.

Wow, they also have 700gm gravid females. I would take them up on the offer for the refund immediately, and when they fall through (they will) I would start proceedings with your credit card company. Emailing reptibid may not do much, but its also a nice thing to do.

Again, sorry to hear about this, but--without being paranoid--you really need to have your radar up when dealing with people. And the only way that radar will work is if you have a decent idea about the animals you are getting into.

Old 11-03-2004, 10:50 PM   #3
Safierdrgn
I understand and I won't lie and say I wasn't a little bit suspicious. But I gave it a chance and now I'm giving him a chance to fix it. We already have forms ready to go incase he doesn't follow through.
I've been into ball pythons for quite a few years now so yes I know what I'm buying, yes if you want to pin this on me,it was stupid of me to try. 10lb females I was not quite expecting...but something more than 600-700 grams.

I'm just not a fan of false advertising and I don't want this to happen to anyone else.

~Angela

Old 11-04-2004, 01:56 AM   #4
SWAG
I don't want to pin it on you at all. It is 100% this guy's fault. I wish you the best in getting your money back. And I really didn't intend to be an "I told you so," either. I'm just suggesting that you respond to your initial instincts--if anything seems suspicious, don't go through with it until given a reason to do otherwise.

And thank you for the heads-up. I don't care if he is making "right" on this. Still seems like an individual to avoid the whole way through and twice on wednesdays.

Old 11-06-2004, 07:48 PM   #5
weaf
WARNING: This guy aka Exotic Herps 28, inc. Is selling a Uromastyx on Reptibid with NO PICTURE and UROMASTYX ...sharan? Mali? Ornate? Egyptian?...

It appears that he has jumped into this business instead of researching and learning and then research the species you are interested in buying/selling or Breeding. This person scares me from what the original thread detailed to his latest posts on Reptibid. If they can't spell (I'm not talking about a typo or fat finger issue) and can't give me a picture...the only picture that pops into my head is a giant RED FLAG.

Happy Herp Holidays to all,
Mike

Old 11-06-2004, 08:23 PM   #6
Safierdrgn
What made me laugh is the fact that "everything is CB" and he claims to breed almost everything. More than likely it's a WC Mali uro.

~Angela

Old 11-08-2004, 12:09 PM   #7
Safierdrgn
More fun

Well I got the heat pack from them, I packed the snakes in one of my nice big styro boxes. He wanted his deli containers back so the snakes are going back in those(but they have paper towels in them for some padding and they're taped shut this time). I would've liked to have shipped them in pillowcases but everything wouldn't fit...hopefully I made them as comfortable as possible.

The Fedex guy is supposed to be here in an hour so we'll see what happens after this. We're "supposed" to get a full refund but if we don't we have Paypal and the credit card company to file with.

~Ang

Old 11-08-2004, 06:07 PM   #8
Exoticherps28
I am sorry for the trouble Ms. Dean has gone through she will be receiving a full refund. I am a reputable business man with one unsatisfied customer.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:38 PM   #9
Aprylla
Thanks!

Thanks for the warning about this Reptbid seller. I had been thinking about putting a bid on something he had a week or 2 ago, but was skeptical because he has no photos for anything.

Glad I didn't bid or buy anything from this Seller.

Please don't think eveyone on Reptibid is as bad as this. There are a few of us on there that work very hard to buy and sell excellent quality reptiles, you just have to be careful who you purchase from. If a deal sounds too good to be true it probably is!

Old 11-08-2004, 10:36 PM   #10
weaf
Enoc and to all would be reptile dealers and/or breeders.

I have, as many people in this industry, spent more time researching and learning then buying/selling or building my business. I currently sell feeder bugs through different venues and am using the money to build up my breeder stock of reptiles.
Which I hope to begin selling some of my baby reptiles this time next year.

I have chosen to sell ONLY CB and to specialize in only a select few species. This will allow me to learn, work and build a strong client base, based on reputation. (I have a background in sales marketing and breeding birds in small and large qty) And if for any reason I decide to sell a breeder or like that is LTC (As I avoid WC like the plague) I would sell it as such and never mislead anyone knowing karma will come back around and nip you in the butt.

A few things I have learned in just under 2 years of researching the exotic pets business (specifically reptiles):
Reputation will make or break you.
Knowing your business very well (the specific species and I am not just talking about reading a Care Sheet and thinking you know everything.)
Know the How, When, Where and Whys to shipping reptiles and building a relation ship with your shippers. (When you order reptiles from different sources, examine how they pack them and try to understand why they packed the reptile the way they did. Does it make sense? Yes? No? and Why?
Invest in your business. Way before you go selling any animals, you should buy cages, supplies (lights, dishes, plants, food, rocks,etc...) and a 3MP of better CAMERA (4 to 5 MP recommended). People how are buying pets don't like to reach in to a hat and grab a new pet. They want to see what they are considering before jumping in face first. And if you think pet owners are picky, Breeder are even more so. I personally am so bad that I prefer to buy my breeders as babies and raise them myself unless I trust the person and the quality of their animals 100%. Breeders don't want to buy a quality looking female reptile only to see her die after her first clutch just because she was under weight and had a poor calcium intake the 1st year of her life only to be fattened up before selling her.
Reputation this is where it all leads back to.

(Directed towards) Enoc,

Let me help you. First we hear a very dishearting story about you dealings with one person. (Anyone could give you the benifit of doubt on this one...when things get messed up they usually get REALLY MESSED UP.) Then after hearing the story Fauna users see your ads on Reptibid. We aren't even being that crucial, such as typos but No Picture is annoying but when people like myself who raise Uromastyx see No Picture and a simple description like "Uromastyx" ...Egyptian (U. aegypticus)? Mali Uromastyx (U. maliensis)? Indian Uromastyx (U. hardwicki)? Ornate Uromastyx (U. ornata)? Saharan Uromastyx (U. geryi) Yellow phase or Red phase? There are only about 16 different speicies of Uromastyx and as for age? Uros can live up to 30 years..."Adult Male" is pointless unless it is WC then list it as such.

As far as your location, I can only assume you are buying your reptiles from JPPets. If so you don't have to mention them but like the person in the beginning of this thread mentions several times about you CB'ing your own reptiles. No one expects anyone to have CB produced only by them of a huge assortment.

I think a lot of us like Reptibid and see it as a great resource. Please learn a little more at least about listing animals before pumping them out for a quick buck. Abusers or people who don't know how to properly represent their animals make it difficult for quality herps to gain the respect they all work so hard to attain.

Thank You.

P.S. Your last alligator posting is a huge improvement. Just be careful as I have spent my whole life in FL and the FL Wildlife Commision get a little picky sometimes as JPPets has probably already given you a heads-up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!