Georgia state law issues - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:17 PM   #41
ZX11
Kathy,

Call the DNR and request a "Wild Animal License Application".
On the second page is section 27-5-4. Sub-paragraph {B}, last sentence, "....that no such license or permit shall be required soley for the transportation of wild animals through this state where the animals remain in this state no more than 24 hours and are not sold or transferred while in this state."

Now, I am not an attorney, but from what I understand from the application, you can legally transport the animals through the state, but not within the state, ie, from one Ga destination to another Ga destination. But, if going through the state from one state, aside from Ga, to another state, aside from Ga, no permit is required.

Using this one sentence from the application, I have never had a problem transporting animals from Fla, to where ever I sold the animals. I have used my Fla permit to purchase the snake and sold the snake to another person in SC. Call, acquire the sought after species, pick up the snake and pay for it. Then transport to SC, where the secondary sell was made. I made my profit, animal bought and sold......and legally transported through GA. No laws broken, everyone is happy.

The thing to do is, if questioned, quote that sentence and section number. I, like I said before, inform the DNR before, during, and after the transport. A couple times, I have had to sit on the animals over a weekend. I just call to let them know and never had a problem.

I would scan and print this page, but, my scanner is dead. Anyone interested in this subject can call the DNR and request the application. The number is 770-918-6404, Game Management Section, Special Permit Unit.
Michael Parkinson

Old 02-04-2004, 12:25 AM   #42
ZX11
John,

What I meant by "too vague" is that this petition is about wildlife collection fees and does not address the issue of permit costs, excessive insurance regulations, the keeping of non-indigenous venomous species, or indigenous non venomous species.

My concerns are that unless you are an educational or scientific organization, you are forbidden to possess these animals. Or, you can pay $236 per year, per animal, for the permit. But, that is only after you have paid in excess of $800 per year, per animal for insurance.

Just one animal will cost over $1000.0 per year !!!!!!!! That is EXCESSIVE !!!!!!!

Think of it another way: You have an Eastern Diamondback for free. This thing will kill you just as dead as a cobra, mamba, krait, or whatever venomous you can think of. Insurance not required, per not required.
Or, that 21ft reticulated python can squeeze the life out of you in minutes. It is a legal animal. But, touch a cornsnake and you go to jail and pay fines the rest of your life. But, the cornsnake cannot harm you.

My question is what kind of crackhead thought of these laws and who authorized it???? No real thought was given to the logical foundation of the laws. You can have this killer, but not that one. You can have this thing that can kill but not the ones that cannot kill. ???????????????????????????

I understand that alot of this was written to prevent the release of animals that could cause enviromental conflict with indigenous animals, but boas and pythons have the ability to do the same.

Another reason behind the current laws is preservation of naturally occuring species. No, I don't want to see all of the states' cornsnakes in captivity. But, what are the odds of that???
Why are roundups still legal??? The Claxton roundup was started in 1967 because a guy was bitten by an EDB. That was 37 years ago. Do they not think they got the culprit yet??? From 1967 to 1999, 7,850 rattlesnakes lost their lives. And that does not include 1970. There was no offical record that year.
And this is preservation ? ???????????
Lets discuss the other animals that persished, the habitats destroyed, for the pleasure of chasing one snake. And was that bite, in 1967, a legitimate bite?????
The rattlesnake population is so low now that most snakes are brought in from other towns and other states. Georgia's preservation laws are now affecting other states.

These are some of the issues the laws should address. The collection fee you wrote of should NEVER exsist. How is paying the DNR replacing, or preserving, the species??? It cannot. The only real solution to this issue is that people should progagate a species and release the offspring to the wild. The snakes at roundups should be released into woodlands not normally tresspassed upon, or given to individuals that have the expirience to propagate those species, not killed.
If I had the finances, I would buy the snakes from the roundups and do this, but I do not. The state does, and can, do it. If preservation is the issue, and the state wanted to, it could be done.
Just my two cents...................
Michael Parkinson

Old 02-04-2004, 12:31 AM   #43
tdeppen
yep. all that is why we want it changed

Old 02-04-2004, 01:13 PM   #44
JohnHarper
Thumbs up I agree

The law does need to be change and the rattlesnake round ups should be banned. Dnr has been trying to change this for years but one thing they always say and ask
"How will it be funded?" also they ask what about the man power it takes to enforce this. Its sad that Gas taking of rattlesnakes is affecting other states and towns. I think that theres enough people to get the law changed. Just that there is alot of politics involved in it.

Micheal maybe you and me could get together start a uniform petition that would be better than the first one two heads are better than one. I know that they are reptile people in Ga and theres enough to get the law changed if we band together.
do you have aol im i am electricbluescat on aol
chameleon757 on msn
and collegepimp247 on yahoo im.

or you can email me at electricbluescat@earthlink.net

john campbell

Old 02-04-2004, 02:13 PM   #45
ZX11
John,
Where are you located? I am in Brunswick.

Rather than a petition, I would like to do a "bill draft' and find a lobbyist to get it to the house floor, then pushed through to the senate. I am unaware of any lobbyists for the hobby, but, we can always start our own lobbyist group. This would take the effort of everyone in the hobby, non Ga residents included.

Anyone interested??????
Michael Parkinson

Old 02-04-2004, 02:19 PM   #46
dvf1973
expensive

Aren't lobbyest on the expensive side, doin it yourself will also take alot of man hours, not trying to be negative, just looking at the drawbacks.

Old 02-04-2004, 02:24 PM   #47
JohnHarper
I am in Northwest Ga

I am in Temple GA not too far from Douglasville. I think that pushing a drafted bill to the Senate is a good idea. But I do not know of any lobby groups in my area. I do know who my Representative is its Phill Gingrey I am in District 11.

you can go to www.nosnakeban.org

and you theres a link to find out who your representative is on there and what district you are in. i think pushing the bill to the Senate may make the bill go to in effect faster but it will take alot of planning of how its written and man power but if it gets the laws changed its worth the effort to me.

john campbell

Old 02-04-2004, 07:51 PM   #48
ZX11
A lobbyist is a must. How it is done, I am not sure. Manhours are a major concern. We have to find someone that can dedicate the time and lives in the Atlanta area and knows how this is done.

Perhaps the best option is for the hobbyists to stop talking and start doing. First step would be to form an organization, appoint a chairperson, and representatives. We need people to sign up and donations will be needed to fund the time spent on persuing the matter. These will be full time jobs and whoever does the jobs must be able to make a living. We would also have costs related to travel and materials, such as papers, filing fees, etc.

Once organizied, we need to sign one as many non-hobbyists as possible, too. This shows outside support. On local levels, we need people of power, ie, judges, attorneys, city and county commissioners, police, animals shelters, animals control officers, etc.

When we reach the people enmass, we will have obtained the power needed to get the bill on the docket. This is where a lobbyist, or, preferrably, a lobbyist group. They are the one responsible for getting the thing on docket.

So, if anyone here has any ideas on how to get it rolling, let me know.

I would like to start a site on this matter, but have no idea how sites are set up. Anyone want to help???
Michael Parkinson

Old 02-04-2004, 08:04 PM   #49
dvf1973
its alot of cash

like in the area of 10 grand for a days work on the floor. I think its a great idea, but emotions are obviously high. More research needs to be done by each individual before their "ideas" are used, member interest is the first key, notice there are like 15 people that are from Georgia whom have signed, thats a small show of support as we are just beginning.

My suggestion would be to find all of the petshops in Georgia, send them fliers about this idea , see how many people are interested and or willing, we go from there, this petition is also a good start, and everyone thats signed is appriciated, but already I see divide in the masses, yes people are in it for their own interest, some want to collect, some want to have, some want venomous, etc, etc, its a bummer, I care less if people want venomous, thats not this issue, if they want that then they fully have the right to start a new petition, the collectors may want to do the same,

I just want to have a corn snake!!!!

Old 02-04-2004, 09:30 PM   #50
ZX11
I am attempting to start a new petition that addresses as many issues as possible. This is to gain momentum for a house bill. As soon as I can get it completed, I will be making posts in every site I can find. I would appreciate a list of related sites that I can sent the petition address to.
The sites I am currently aware of are very few. Kingsnake, VenomousReptiles, and here. Any more to add????? Please list them.
Thanks,
Michael Parkinson

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!