How can I get her to eat..? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Nick & Chelsea
How can I get her to eat..?

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the baby box turtle I have to, take a bite of something. She isn't much bigger than a quarter, and hasn't eaten at all in atleast a week. No telling how log it was before that, that she didn't eat. I got her from someone who's small child caught her way back in August sometime. They gave her to me, and told me that a few times, they had observed her eat turtle sticks in her water bowl. Since they don't know very much about turtles at all, I had to ask them a lot of questions and get yes/no answers. Anyways, I appreciate any help I can get, becuase I want her to survive and grow up healthy.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
akuma
have you tried to feed it earth worms

Old 11-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
Nick & Chelsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by akuma View Post
have you tried to feed it earth worms
Yes, actually that was the first thing I tried. After that, I tried Wax worms, and Crickets. When he was unresponsive to any of those, I bit the bullet, and tried a few small soft pieces of dog food, and some tiny pieces of Tomato. Nothing yet has worked. The turtle is very small. Not much bigger than a Quarter, and weighs 8 grams currently. Though he hasn't eaten, he's still active, and I hope to keep him that way. I can't be sure, but he could simply be attempting to honor his biological clock, and seeks a place to hibernate. He was caught by a small child, in August, and he was eating Tetra-min turtle sticks out of his water bowl while the kid had him. I just got him on Tuesday afternoon. The kid's teacher had him in the classroom for a week, and the turtle hadn't eaten all last week, and now all of this week. I can confirm two whole weeks without eating. I'm running out of ideas and options on this one. I've force-fed adolescent, and adults in the past, but never one this small. It isn't often I even get one that won't eat. Any more suggestions would be helpful. Thanks again.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
Nick & Chelsea
I grabbed some pill bugs, I hope it will eat them.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Nick & Chelsea
Okay, today, it ate the pill bugs, as well as some of the fresh wax worms I put in there with it. All of a sudden it started eating like a pig. 3 pill bugs, and 2 wax worms in a single sitting. It could be something to do with the fact that I changed the habitat around a little so it mimics the natural environment more closely.. Thanks for the help anyways Akuma.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!