approx size 1.5yr old black pines - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-06-2006, 12:05 PM   #1
sumguy
Question approx size 1.5yr old black pines

my first pits are 1.1 black pines born in 04. what would be typical lengths/weights? they have both been shy/fussy eaters and the male went off feed this winter and lost some weight. what kind of humidty do you keep for your black pines? right now they have the same temp/humidty setup as my cornsnakes with rh being around 40-50% but seem to have more problems with sheds.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
starwarsdad
Mine are the same age, hatched in mid August '04. I do not think either have ever missed a meal. I do slow their feeding down to about twice a month during the winter though. During the spring, summer and fall I feed them every 5 - 7 days. Both are taking rat pups. The male is around 40" and the female is in the same neighborhood but half the girth. I do not have scales, but I am expecting them both to get pretty thick over the next year. I hope to breed them in '07 but might have to wait until '08. I don't want to push them, especially the female.

When I see they are in blue I move the water bowl over the heated side. I have not had any shed problems with this technique and do not keep track of humidity in the house.

Old 04-08-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
sumguy
thanks for the info. they seem to be less shy about feeding this last month. I've also been trying to feed them when I see them prowling hoping they are in the mood instead of just taking them whenever I felt like feeding them. They're both less than 4'. The female is a little bulky but the male is too thin. I think this will be a good year for a growth spurt. Not in any hurry to start breeding though.

Old 04-08-2006, 02:50 PM   #4
snakes.
Black Pine

I have a female black pine CB05 and she dosent shed that often, but when she does the skin comes off in bits, terrible sheds really, but I'm going to try what starwarsdad said and put the water bowl on the warm side of the viv when she goes blue.
As for feeding she takes a mouse every 10 days and never refuses a feed.
I have my temp for the black pine the same as my northerns and my bulls and gophers, I run them on a stat and dont seem to have any problems.
Daytime temp 80/82
Nightime temp 76/78

Old 04-10-2006, 07:54 AM   #5
starwarsdad
Your temps sound fine. Let us know how the next shed goes.

If it is an option, you might consider switching to appropriately sized rats. An adult will take several mice in a feeding. It is easier and less expensive to get them on rats before they develop a preference, in my experience.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:00 PM   #6
snakes.
I should have said, my Black Pine is still only young, she is 8months old, but once she starts growing more I will put her onto rats. Will update you on her next shed.
Thanks

Old 04-10-2006, 09:02 PM   #7
starwarsdad
I started mine on rat pinks and have worked them up to rat pups at this point. Most hatchling pits can take rat pinks. It is just my opinion though having had a 6' bull that would only take mice.... that was pricey!

Old 04-11-2006, 02:09 PM   #8
snakes.
Thats interesting about your 6' bull only taking mice, I have a 7' female and a 6' male bull. The female takes rats no probs infact she eats like a pig and so did the male, then one day the male decided he didnt like rats anymore and just wanted mice a plenty. Which is very pricey.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!