Inquiry Alterna Rush the movie, Small Scale Films, Dan Krull - Page 18 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #171
LauraB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rextiles View Post
... the fact that people paid Dan money for products that they never received and some were basically ignored for around 2 years until they started coming out of the woodwork and onto the forums wondering if they had been ripped off or not.
Where are those people, Troy? Why have they not contributed to this thread? It ain't like Fauna is a newcomer to the herp industry

It ain't like that other one, KS, is a newcomer either. Fakebook, yeah right, no credibility there. So, where are all those "victims", Troy?

What exactly did you, Troy and Gregg, contribute monetarily toward any of Dan's ventures? Perhaps I missed it, and if so, I apologize. Have you, Troy, or Gregg actually been ripped off?

There is absolutely nothing unusual or out of the ordinary for an potential entrepreneur to seek capital or investors for the development and ultimate realization of their project, whatever it may be. More often than not, the small entrepreneur may expect delays, disappointments and more than one setback. That's just common business sense. More times than not, the little guy will fail more than once before he or she finally succeeds. Again, that is just Business 101.

INWO, Dan K. was transparent in his ultimate responses, even if a bit self-serving. And bringing in the newbs with their first-ever posts was not the best move on Dan K's part.

Again, I ask. Troy, Gregg, what did either of you contribute monetarily to any of Dan's ventures that you are now scam/theft/robbery "victims"?

For the record, I do not know nor have ever dealt with Dan Krull or anyone involved in any of his ventures. Got no personal problem with Gregg or his cronies, either. Just an outsider looking in.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #172
LauraB
Crap. "INWO" = IMWO

Old 12-18-2014, 10:57 PM   #173
Rextiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangthane View Post
I'm just not seeing scam/theft in this. "Mismanagement" may very well be much closer to the mark; and I'm not even sure I'd go that far, if lack of sufficient funding ended up being the main reason for the movie not being released.
I guess with this, we have to reach a consensus of what a donation is compared to that of a sale.

According to the dictionary, the definition of sale is:

1. the act of selling.
2. a quantity sold.
3. opportunity to sell; demand: slow sale.
4. a special disposal of goods, as at reduced prices.
5. transfer of property for money or credit.
6. an auction.

The definition of donation is:

1. an act or instance of presenting something as a gift, grant, or contribution.
2. a gift, as to a fund; contribution.

Both words mean something entirely different. Selling something, in this instance, means you are offering a product for the exchange of money. Whereas a donation means that you are contributing money regardless of whether you are to receive a product or not.

With that said, it's one thing to solicit for donations as long as people know that they may or may not be getting something out of it. That's fine, I don't see a problem with that. For example, "For those who donate, if we reach our goal of $10,000, we will be able to produce DVD's and those will be distributed to those that donated to our cause." Again, that's fine. Everybody at that point understands that their money is actually going towards the organization and not an actual product.

However, what happens when you say advertise like this?

"PRE-RELEASE DISCOUNT!

FREE shipping if your order before November 1st.

Alterna Rush is the first feature length documentary from Small Scale Films, a conservation non-profit, and all proceeds will go to the promotion of reptile and amphibian conservation. Reserve your copy before November 1st and receive free shipping!

We will be making a few adjustments, having some sound work done, adding in the animation which has been expertly executed courtesy of Ambient Skies Productions, and we should have the DVD's in the mail no later than November 1st!

Reserve your copy before October 3rd and receive free shipping!

RESERVE YOUR COPY NOW!
ORDER
!
"

BTW, this was all taken from Dan's actual web site that has been archived by The Wayback Machine which was last archived on March 25 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Krull View Post
Post #22 Gregg makes the implication in this post that I never said anything about donations. I cannot prove this, but the Alterna Rush site, and the small scale films site both contained lengthy descriptions of how the non-profit worked, and how your donation would be used. It has all been taken down now.
It would appear that The Wayback Machine only had this one page archived. If you go back from 2008 to Feb. 7 2001, there is an archived front page that just has a Paypal donation link, but that is all. Regardless...

Dan states that there are "lengthy descriptions" in regards to how his organization worked and how the "donations" were to be used. However, I don't see any of this from the page that was archived. All I see are things like pre-sale and order a copy. Those are words that imply a product is being sold and should be expected, especially when it states that if you "Reserve your copy before October 3rd" you will "receive free shipping!". To me, that doesn't sound very donation-ish.

Quote:
It seems noteworthy that you and Gregg are here yelling "scam"
Let's be very clear about this. I'm not "yelling" anything (which is an interesting choice of toxic words). In fact, I was on a vacation and completely unaware of Gregg's intentions on coming here and bringing this up and was only informed from a friend of what had transpired. It's also noteworthy to add that even after I learned of this thread and Gregg's involvement, I stayed out of only until Chris Ivins came here and flagrantly lied about what transpired on Facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJReptiles View Post
I repeatedly asked him to edit and adhere to the rules and he did not So I deleted it all, and banned he and his troublemaker buddies. I don't know Greg but since I removed him, the page has grown by thousands. And has never again had an issue with infighting or members being disrespectful to each-other.
Quote:
3. I removed Gregg from a forum on Facebook, because he repeatedly and blatantly violated the terms of the group, and refused to remove or edit his offending posts, and instead chose to escalate them, and personally attack the Administrators.
Who did what now? These two obviously can't keep their stories straight. Regardless...

To be quite honest, while I definitely don't have any love for Dan Krull, I also did not have any interest in coming here and throwing all of this stuff out there because if that were my intent, I would have done this over the summer when I discovered all of this information about Dan. I was more than happy to let things be until, much to my dismay, Gregg came here and stirred this whole thing up.

Again, I sat on the sidelines for a long time until I saw that this whole thing turned sideways into more of a popularity contest than one about the facts. I know how Dan can come off versus Gregg and in a popularity contest, Dan would probably win more times than Gregg but only because Dan knows how to play up to people's sympathies whereas Gregg is a lot more straight forward and sometimes brutal in how he deals with stuff; I, of all people, know this all too well as I've butted heads with Gregg over differences of opinions on more than a dozen occasions. However, that doesn't make Gregg a bad guy or a liar to any extent, he just doesn't feel it necessary to schmooze people to get his point across. Unfortunately, Gregg sometimes fails to get his message out because some people dislike him first and ignore anything he has to say later, which is what I felt was/is happening here. That and the fact that Gregg was not presenting sufficient evidence to back up most of what he was saying.

And that's basically all I'm trying to do here, provide the evidence that is out there so that people can make up their own minds based on what they see. If they feel that after all has been shown that they'd still prefer to trust Dan, then by all means, go for it!

I know that many here might feel that I'm merely siding with Gregg because I too have an axe to grind. All I can say is that that is merely not the case. Gregg will attest that when I talked to him on the phone after getting back from my vacation, I laid into him about this, and I basically told him that I did not want to get involved, and I really still don't want to be. I just feel it necessary to present the evidence as Gregg has eluded to. If anybody chooses to judge me based on that, that's fine. I just see myself as the messenger at this point.

Quote:
yet I'm not really seeing anyone who contributed/bought the ill-fated DVD making their way here and chiming in to demand any recompense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mqbuchanan View Post
I ordered the film on Oct. 6 2011, sent paypal payment, and have not heard much since. When I emailed to ask I was emailed by Dan Krull and told there was some hold-up with the graphic's and it he was going to send an update soon.

Website says "PRE-RELEASE DISCOUNT! FREE shipping if your order before November 1st" so I ordered in October (pre November 1st).

Anyone else order this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cole View Post
I saw it at the banquet and I also pre-ordered a copy.
Well, here alone were 2 people that claimed to have purchased a copy that more than likely never received it. The OP didn't seem too happy about his situation considering that he felt compelled to bring it up here on the BOI.

Quote:
with Gregg mentioning a "ton of people" "complaining" on other forums; while you reference "many inquiries"
I will gladly post a few other screen shots from the other forums on a separate post as I don't fully understand the attached link process in regards to keeping things within a certain continuity.

Quote:
I have a fair amount of trouble believing that Gregg wouldn't have managed to wrangle up some disgruntled buyers/investors and lead them here to post, if so many people feel that they were wronged. I'm not saying that people should have to beat down his door to get their refund; but if those who actually lost money aren't particularly concerned about it, I don't really see why we should be.
That's a fair enough point, but as you can already see here, one person obviously felt wronged enough to start this thread in the first place. I'll post other screen shots from the other forums to back up what has been said in the next post.

What I have seen from the other inquiries is that people did initially feel that they were misled or ripped off until Dan eventually replied to those concerns and schmoozed them enough to get them off of his back. But the initial posts were definitely ones of concern.

So the question is, should we be concerned at this point if those that got suckered into buying into a vaporous product if they ultimately shrugged it off? Perhaps not, but I think it is of enough significance to shed some light on it so this type of thing never happens this way again. Dan should have been more forthright with these people from the beginning with what their money was actually going towards and how he solicited for sales of a product he ultimately never delivered.

So yeah, there are plenty of lessons to be learned here, so I think it's very worthwhile to bring all of this up. Perhaps not in the aggressive manner that Gregg did, but there are definitely things here that will help people to make more conscientious decisions about how to invest their money as well as those that do want to do legitimate fundraisers and how to better go about it. Don't you think so?

Quote:
It seems kinda hard to make a case for refunds taking too long, when there doesn't seem to have been a definitive timetable involved for the release of the DVD.
Actually, if you look carefully at the screenshot, there was a timetable "we should have the DVD's in the mail no later than November 1st", which was back in 2011.

You've brought up a couple of other issues that I'd also like to address but again, I want to have some continuity to my attached pictures, so I will address them in separate posts later tonight or perhaps tomorrow if you will kindly indulge me.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2014, 11:09 PM   #174
Billy1138
"Well, here alone were 2 people that claimed to have purchased a copy that more than likely never received it. The OP didn't seem too happy about his situation considering that he felt compelled to bring it up here on the BOI."

Troy, refer back to post #5 in this thread, and my comment #166. The OP felt compelled to start a BOI, but felt the inquiry was resolved. Did you donate money or purchase a copy of the film?

Old 12-18-2014, 11:17 PM   #175
Snake-Queen
Troy, posts from other forums are hearsay, unless you can get the poster to come here and corroborate the words they wrote. Most other forums do not require you to post your REAL name, therefore anyone can post it and say they are someone else.

Facebook isn't much better either ...

Old 12-19-2014, 05:43 AM   #176
Fangthane
the last chapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rextiles
What I have seen from the other inquiries is that people did initially feel that they were misled or ripped off until Dan eventually replied to those concerns and schmoozed them enough to get them off of his back. But the initial posts were definitely ones of concern.
Out of your whole spiel, this comment seems the most relevant and telling insomuch as it applies to what I perceive as one of the chiefest aspects of this whole situation - at least, regarding your respective points of contention. People raised concerns; Dan had seemingly addressed those concerns to their satisfaction. If some people have shrugged it off, that's their choice. Considering that he apparently did have non-profit status, perhaps people ultimately chose to look at it as a donation. If he's inherently wrong, even after having been able to make an argument that convinced people to forbear animosity for not receiving their DVDs, it just doesn't seem like there's any way that the guy can win with you. You seem to want to be more of an executioner than a messenger.

I really didn't want to have to muster the ambition to write another novella of a post. I'll try to be brief, but I simply don't feel that the picture you're painting is a particularly apt representation.

If we're going to bandy definitions that we feel are needful, I'd counter with:
Quote:
theft
noun \'theft\
: the act or crime of stealing
Full Definition of THEFT
a : the act of stealing; specifically : the felonious taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it
b : an unlawful taking (as by embezzlement or burglary) of property
You essentially accused Dan of theft. I don't see anything that would come close to making me agree with that. Some words probably shouldn't be so blithely tossed about. I'm thinking that you may have been going for:

Quote:
fraud
noun \'fro?d\
: the crime of using dishonest methods to take something valuable from another person
Full Definition of FRAUD
a : deceit, trickery; specifically : intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right
If that's the case, I'm sincere when I say that we'd all appreciate whatever proof you have that supports the idea that there was any degree of willful trickeration involved in any aspect of the Alterna Rush debacle. Do you have something that undeniably proves fraudulent intent? At worst, you made the case that Dan sold something that he was ultimately unable to provide by the stated release date - or ever. There's no contention there. He's acknowledged that a certain amount of people definitely thought they'd paid for a product; as opposed to donating toward something that may have simply thought of as an admirable pursuit. He openly differentiates between the two ideas. I simply think that the "theft" aspect of your campaign has fallen flat on its face. I do, however, stand corrected in my mistaken belief that there was no definite timetable set for release.

Quote:
You've brought up a couple of other issues that I'd also like to address but again, I want to have some continuity to my attached pictures, so I will address them in separate posts later tonight or perhaps tomorrow if you will kindly indulge me.
Take all the time you need. I just hope you're able to provide something more substantial than screenshots of those whose initial concerns have been satisfactorily (by their own standards) addressed. If you really want to effectively attack someone's character, I think you're going to have to do much better than you have so far. If you're going to make a case for people lying about their FB interactions, show something that proves it beyond doubt. Otherwise, I'd vote to leave all that junk over on that worthless site that amounts to little more than one big, moronic popularity contest.

I doubt I'll chime back in. I don't really have any particular interest in this thread; I just felt that there were some points that sorely needed arguing. Mission accomplished. Our mutual propensity for long-windedness is bound to start pissing people off.
Quote:
So yeah, there are plenty of lessons to be learned here, so I think it's very worthwhile to bring all of this up. Perhaps not in the aggressive manner that Gregg did, but there are definitely things here that will help people to make more conscientious decisions about how to invest their money as well as those that do want to do legitimate fundraisers and how to better go about it. Don't you think so?
I'll give you that one. Everything that makes its way on the BOI stands to mean something to someone. Of course, the messenger's perceived intent may play heavily into how much weight readers choose to give any subjective messages.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #177
Rextiles
Just a quick note...

I will be unable to share what additional information I have over the next few days because my wife, a flight attendant, has come home and I would like to spend my time with her considering I barely get to see her as is.

But rest assured, I will be back in a couple days to share what else I have.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:00 AM   #178
Rextiles
Alterna Rush Purchaser Inquiries Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
Where are those people, Troy?
Here's all of the people who have inquired about or made statements about their purchase for Alterna Rush. To be complete, I included the OP post from this thread as well as posts from Field Herp Forum, Kingsnake and Facebook.

These posts are from Faunaclassifieds.com and Kingsnake.com.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2014, 04:00 AM   #179
Rextiles
Alterna Rush Purchaser Inquiries Part 2

These posts are from Facebook.com and FieldHerpForums.com.

It's also noteworthy to add that Dan had posted a link to the FieldHerpForums.com thread here:

Quote:
And "coincidentally" was removed shortly after Gregg made his inquiry about the Alterna Rush DVD's. I know this as a fact because not just a month before, I had seen seen that thread over the summer and actually revisited it about a month ago and it was there for all to see, now it's magically gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg M View Post
Dan, there was a ton of people who gave you money and complained about being scammed by you. It was all on the field herp forum but got deleted by "someone" who used to work for herp nation.
Quote:
I have never had the ability to delete a post from field herp forum, and to my knowledge, none have ever been deleted to protect me in any way.
Whether or not Dan had anything to do with the removal of that thread, it's quite odd that he once linked to it and it had been viewable for almost 3 years and just right after Gregg brings this whole thing up, that thread disappears. Draw your own conclusions.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #180
Snake-Queen
Only one of those images shows one person, the one from Faunaclassifieds, all others are hearsay, as they cannot be verified as individual people. With no identifying information on the people posting (real names) it could have been anyone posting ... even the same person using multiple user names.

Your best option would be to contact those users and have them come here, make an account & post.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
alterna, alterna rush