Bad Guy Be wary of Boas and Balls (Rodent Factory) rodents. Parasites! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
Amelanistic Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
Tom, I agree, lice on live rats are no joke. It is my understanding, however, that once frozen that the lice are dead? So although the lice may affect the condition of the rodents (and perhaps result in inferior feeders), I would presume that (dead) lice on frozen feeders would not harm the snakes or any mammals kept at the home?

Ken, as per BOI rules, can you please post any email/text exchanges you have made with Boas and Balls?
This is totally true... I was leaning more towards the fact that its rampant in his colony and its not gonna be fun to deal with was all.

When it comes to feeding $1000-$5000 snakes and such. I wouldn't feed stuff like that to my colony. Anybody else?

Old 02-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
Magic
I'm so glad I read this before dropping $300 on an order from them! Have you sent them an email with a link to this thread?

Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsonke View Post

I was told by a forum member that these are rat lice which makes sense because they seem to be very firmly attached to the hair. They don't even wash off in water.
How odd. I've had decades of experience dealing with head lice in children. The nits, or eggs, are affixed to the hair shaft with a gluey substance as the louse lays the eggs, and do not easily come off. But I have never seen a louse itself affixed to hair because the lice have no mechanism to hold onto the hair shaft.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #14
reticguy76
I have been in veterinary medicine for over 15 years now, I have seen a lot of rodents with lice species. I have never seen or heard of cat or dog with lice. Thats a new one for me.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #15
kouneli
Quote:
Originally Posted by reticguy76 View Post
I have been in veterinary medicine for over 15 years now, I have seen a lot of rodents with lice species. I have never seen or heard of cat or dog with lice. Thats a new one for me.
As a veterinary student, I know as a fact that cats and dogs do get lice. Not as common as fleas, though, obviously. But hey, you learn something new every day, right?

That's pitiful "customer service" if they won't even refund the shipping costs. And why would they need to have them returned frozen? Why would it matter? Hopefully they won't just remove the lice and sell them to someone else. Nits can easily be in the hair, as well, and these are even more difficult to remove than the adult lice.

Would love to see how their feeder enclosures look. If the frozen rats smelled horrible, I'm sure the cages aren't much cleaner.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
Amelanistic Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by reticguy76 View Post
http://www.sheltermedicine.com/shelt...th-feline-lice

It's nuts! And you have to have deplorable conditions to make it happen... Something to think about right there for the guy who froze these. Feline Lice and Rodent Lice can be treated with Feline Frontline products and organic options, but it's no fun.

Either way it's sliced. At $50-$70 a box, Feline stuff treats about 30-50 Rats I think? I had to chop my colony into a 1/3 to rid the problem. I bought the host as new blood for my colony and it got out of control real fast...

And, I promise... I am a quarantine Monster! I don't wish it upon anybody, and I can vouch for its unpleasantness... Lol. New word there! Took me a fiscal year to rectify! Good luck Lynn!

Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #17
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pecanic View Post
And you have to have deplorable conditions to make it happen..
That is a popular misconception. Lice happen in the best of families (in people) and do not require deplorable conditions.
I'm still on how the OP is claiming that the lice were stuck fast to the hair, and I do not think that can happen, and I don't think it did happen.
There seem to be no other complaints about this vendor and this situation, perhaps people have not come forward yet, right now I'm reserving judgment.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #18
Amelanistic Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
That is a popular misconception. Lice happen in the best of families (in people) and do not require deplorable conditions.
I'm still on how the OP is claiming that the lice were stuck fast to the hair, and I do not think that can happen, and I don't think it did happen.
There seem to be no other complaints about this vendor and this situation, perhaps people have not come forward yet, right now I'm reserving judgment.
Yes and no... For it to originate and thrive, yes. But, it can easily transfer to a healthy clean specimen/host/colony. So yes, I retract that statement. It would be great for some inside photos from a visitor who went to pick up some lives.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #19
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I wasn't going to say anything, but since this is here and there is mention of no others coming forward I will speak.

I ordered and received rats/mice in October/November.

The rodents were as the OP described his. Many soaked in urine/blood, overwhelming bad (putrid) smell when bags were opened, and quite a few dead parasites visible. The adult mice were especially gross. If they looked that bad frozen, I'd hate to see how the racks of live animals are kept.

I figured I would give these guys a try because I needed rats, and was disappointed at the quality of the rodents. However, based on previous interactions with Lynn, I decided it wasn't worth complaining about. No way am I feeding that to my animals, though.

That's just my opinion, based on my experience with their rodents. I do admit that I'm picky when it comes to snake food, and perhaps what bothers me is no big deal to others.

A couple pictures attached. Shows the small bugs that were all over all of the rodents, and the condition of the frozen mice with blood, urine and liquid feces smeared on them.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #20
PlatinumRosePythons
I bought from them once and never will again. Urine and blood covered rodents, smelled nasty frozen and thawed, and when I thawed them in water they turned the water a dark tea colour, I assume from the mix of blood and urine. Didn't notice any bugs, but I never really did a close inspection. Didn't bother to complain as I didn't want to start trouble since I'm quite new in the industry.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
feeders, parasites