Question(s) for the customer service experienced.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-16-2004, 05:39 PM   #1
chondrokeeper
Question(s) for the customer service experienced....

I have a small dilemma here. I'm not sure if this belongs on the BOI (forgive me Rich if it does), but here goes nothing.

How do those of you possibly more experienced than I go about dealing with individuals, whom you know and whom live locally, that promise they'll pay for some geckos (or any animal for that matter) you posted for sale, but never pay? Especially after you've e-mailed back and forth with them confirming things, as well as talking to them on the phone.

The situation I'm faced with is as follows. I posted some geckos for sale around March 31, 2004. I received an e-mail that same day from a former employer asking about the geckos. On April 1, 2004 I get another e-mail confirming that they will indeed take the geckos. They wanted to know if I had any plans for coming back to where I use to live (Alamogordo, NM). It's only a 1 hr drive roughly. However, I no longer have any need to go there since my only family there moved to NY last year. They also informed me that they had NG drill up in Roswell that coming weekend so receiving payment would have to wait. I was fine with that. The weekend came and I heard nothing. So I called. I'm told that they would paypal me the money, never go paypal'ed. The next e-mail I get is on 4/13, asking again if I had any plans to come that way. I replied and didn't hear back until the 15th. He was out from work because he was sick, understand, no biggie. On the 19th I get an e-mail stating they tried to call me, but the number was no good (I assume they tried calling my old Alamogordo #). I replied giving my cell number, which it and my home number are listed in my ads. And then I hear nothing until the 25th. I receive an e-mail that they have some auctions on ebay and that they'll pay me afterwards. NOTHING. So I e-mail on the 25th, make phone calls, leave messages, hear nothing. I e-mail again on 5/9/04. Never got a reply. Well I called yesterday (5/15/04) as I've had 2 other individuals interested in the geckos he wants. Seems they had to pay off on an anerythristic boa they were purchasing and he could only give me a partial payment on what he wanted. Oddly he can't paypal me on his home computer. He gets kicked out of paypal each time he tried to send money. So he tells me he's going to be going over to his brother-in-law's house and will paypal me then. NOTHING.

I'm rather annoyed with this. This individual has had over a month and a half to get the money to me. I have 2 individuals interested in the geckos, as I previously stated, 1 of which may very well end up getting the male she wants now as an animal on loan. Would it be unethical for me to repost these animals for sale (I've already done so). I have informed the current 'buyer' that others are interested. I think from now on I guess the best way for me to avoid this is friends or not I will have to request a 25% non-refundable deposit?

Any suggestions?

Chris

Old 05-16-2004, 05:59 PM   #2
ChuUtena
I think you've given this guy more than enough time to pay for the gecko. The only other thing I would say to him is let him know if you don't hear by him in a week, that the gecko is going to go to someone who can pay for it. When I used to work at a pet store, there was this kitten that we were selling. Some very nice woman bought him as a christmas present for her son, and after she paid IN FULL for the cat a few weeks before Christmas, never came back to pick him up. After about a month we called her a few times and left messages with people, and she never called back and never came in. We ended up selling the kitten to someone else after about 2 months of keeping the cat. Some people are just strange I guess. Just email the guy and let him know he's got x amount of days to pay up or you'll let the gecko go to someone who can pay. Just my thoughts though, you can only be so nice for so long.

Old 05-16-2004, 06:06 PM   #3
Blazin
Customer service.

I have ran into that several times. I have actually lost sales because the ,"the checks in the mail thing". I think if the individual in question was truely serious about the gecko he or she would have at least made a small down payment or tried to pay you something. I think its time to move on. After this period of time someone else deserves a crack at it. Especially if they have already shown interest. I think the whole Down payment thing is a good idea. I also am aware that its not totally necessary. If someone I know in the herp community such as another breeder, personally tells me they want a animal I have I try and take their word for it. Your situation is different. You have given them a fair amount of time and have not heard from them. I think its time to find another customer. I had a similiar experience with a well known leopard and fattail breeder. I purchased a het from them and asked them to hold the other one for me until my next paycheck. SInce I had already ordered one from them they agreed and I thought it was the end of it. Not only did they end up selling the animal out from under me they raised the price on it. All in all I try and deal with people the way I would want to be dealt with. I think if you deal with people that way you will always come out on top. Just my two cents Chris.

Oh by the way I need to get that fatty from ya! LOL!

Old 05-16-2004, 06:15 PM   #4
chondrokeeper
chad...

I reposted the fattie too

No interest yet though. Ironically I'm going to be in Alamogordo tonight, but please contact me so that we can work out the fattie situation (I'll be on your end of town around the end of the month).

Chris

Old 05-16-2004, 06:36 PM   #5
Golden Gate Geckos
I say sell them!

I think most of us have had similar problems, and that is why I have a "Hold Policy" stated clearly on the TERMS page of my website:

Hold Policy

- I will hold geckos for up to 3 days pending payment by priority mail.

- I will hold geckos for up to 10 days upon receipt of personal checks pending verification.

- I will hold geckos for up to 15 days with a 25% non-refundable deposit.

Old 05-16-2004, 07:09 PM   #6
Sybella
I think you've been great about the whole thing and you are the type of seller that I like to deal with...HOWEVER, there's a limit!! LOL!!!

I think you've given them more than enough time to pay for this and I think it would be fair to tell them that you'll give them X number of days to complete the transaction before you will relist the animal/s.

Old 05-16-2004, 10:11 PM   #7
Sunshines2day
Very, very simple......

If they have not paid you, they do not belong to them.

Linda

Old 05-16-2004, 10:28 PM   #8
MattP
Hi Chris,

I would like to buy the orange ct. I sent you an email

Matt

Old 05-17-2004, 12:54 AM   #9
riverjop
I think its time to find a new buyer!
If he wants the leo, than a next day mail is available as near as the closest post office.
keep it simple......by the way..post a pic here maybe someone will buy it?

Old 05-18-2004, 12:17 AM   #10
brianskibinski
I think anyone who sells has been screwed by this at one time or another. Just aprt of the business I suppose. I think it's just polite to tell the person either way, whether you are or are not interested. Just seems like a nice thing to do so you don't leave the seller holding an animal for someone who changed his mind. I'd also prefer if people straight out said "I changed my mind" instead of coming up with an excuse. It's just somehting we all have to deal with I guess.

Brian Skibinski
Milwaukee Reptiles

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!