Info Boas and Balls - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #1
indigos-r-us
Boas and Balls

I am starting this since Lynn and Ken have come under fire from PETA for conditions at their facilities in Denver. I personally have know Ken and Lynn for years and am appreciative of the fact that they have been able to put on the Rocky Mt. Reptile show for about 10 years. No one else succeeded in pulling this off. It has mostly been a good show.

As for one of the things PETA was down on was the "thumping" of food animals to kill them. How many herpers do not do this if they don't have CO2 handy?

Anyway I am willing to give them a chance to pull the facilities around to meet the city standards etc. I believe everyone needs a second chance before pulling my support etc.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
bobbafett
Most use cervical dislocation, which instantly kills the rodent. Thumping an animal does not immediately kill it most times.

After seeing the video, I really don't give a darn what they do. Congrats for running a reptile show? Maybe they should concern themselves with their animals health before taking on other "jobs".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
ElexisC
What video?

Old 12-17-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
ShadowAceD
Bill, I have easily over a dozen people from CO refuting what you say and I also know that when a thread of this popped up in a local CO herp group on FB, it was eventually removed by moderators and any attempts to repost has been censored as well.

I know people who have been in the rodent industry for years and they said while the flooding tubs are something that just happens with the type of watering systems they use, the remainder of the video is inexcusable.

Additionally, if you do not have CO2 available in an operation that large, you need to re-examine your operation. Sure, whacking rodents is considered a mostly normal thing but 1.) you do not let people video tape you doing it 2.) you do not sit there and tell the rodent to stop struggling on video 3.) you learn how to do it properly so it is as quick and painless as possible. These morons had no clue as to what they were doing. Employees, volunteers or not, the owners are responsible for who is working for them.

All that aside, these people have been breeding and keeping reptiles and rodents for longer than I have existed on this earth (27 years), they should really know what they are doing by this point.

1. Filthy rodent tubs.
2. Kittens inside of filthy rodent tubs?
3. Apparent ring worm outbreak (sores that could be seen on rodents people received).
4. Overcrowding tubs so rats are fighting and chewing faces off each other, a wound which was quite old by the time it was discovered, mind you.
5. Overcrowding so that rats are cannibalizing one another.
6. Telling someone ON VIDEO that they would just shove a sick reptile in the freezer rather than bring it to a vet. when it is known that that is NOT the most humane method of euthanasia and the industry really needs to just stop thinking it is.
7. Saying that they called a vet. for a small animal that clearly needed some kind of medical attention rather than taking it to it on video.

I mean, really ...

I am all for second chances and I hope they can get their act together, but from what I have learned, this is really just kind of the tip of the ice berg for them.

I guess we will just have to see how it all develops, but understand, this is not just some inexperienced dillhole allowing one of the worse organizations ever to catch them with their pants down. These are people who are well known and who should have themselves together twenty times better than this. They should be an authority on proper example, not a poster child for negligence.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
indigos-r-us
Diem,

Do not disagree with one thing you said. I was really commenting on the fact they have made a contribution locally in the Denver area with putting on the Rocky Mt. Reptile show. It is educational, they have birds of prey rehabilitators there, local herp club etc.
Now as for the filthy conditions that has no excuse. I just raise a few mice but I like them and even pet them from time to time. I keep them clean, have pieces of pvc plumbing joints to play in (keeps the aggression down, and pieces of oak blocks to chew on. Nesting females have schreded paper to put their babies in. I know a large enterprise cannot do this but if you can feel a snake or lizards comfort or discomfort in and enclosure you ought to be able to tell if a mouse or rat is feeling well or totally miserable. Yes they must rethink the rodent farm and pet shop if the want to survive. Ken and his son's built a fantastic building with proper ventilation etc. but I guess they did not go further and put in the metal drip watering system. They live in the country so any escaped or even a wild rat could knaw through a plastic line. I experienced that in my garage when I raised some in a breeding rack. Floods do happen but clean them up immeadiately and disinfect. Anyway they have the facility to run a first rate rodent farm if they hire some people and get organized. I think they are spread so thin with everything they take on it would be tough for anyone without hiring help. I will support the show and their setup at the show is fine. I won't support animal neglect if that is what is going on. Thanks for the comment.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
MKJurassic
Lynn did respond to me in the group "Colorado Reptiles and Feeders" yesterday after she posted the 2015 show dates. I attached the screenshots. Colorado Reptile Human Society was called upon to take in 50 or so animals yesterday and all they were able to say is that they were from a "local shop" but Lynn confirmed they were hers and very well respected vets in the area were going over today and yesterday to look them over. They were taken for "improper housing" which she admits to and claims they are working to fix it. I think the vets analysis will tell me a lot more about this situation as a whole. We have been vending at the shows on and off for years and while we have never personally gotten to know Lynn "Rocky Mountain Reptile Expo" is the only available show in the area. I dont freqent the petstore so I really couldnt tell you how bad things were but if 50 animals were seized that rings some serious alarm bells but I am willing to wait to hear the condition report from the vets.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #8
MKJurassic
Here is the second half of the screen shots along with CRHS's plea for fosters/adopters/donations. So if anyone in the area has some extra space in their reptile rooms this holiday season I think some creatures may end up needing some homes! I dont know if it was a temporary seizure for evaluation or what exactly.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
MKJurassic
Forgot to upload them!
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #10
ShadowAceD
Rats are largely well-mannered animals when cared for properly and not put in super stressful situations (i.e. overcrowding, not being fed properly and not being watered properly). So, to say that rat was attacked and partially cannibalized because rats are not nice shows ignorance in raising the animals.

More commonly rats in breeding facilities will be "not nice" to the human handlers by feeling as if they are protecting their offspring and their breeding partners, but that is to be expected to some degree. They are not, however, naturally inclined to be "not nice" to each other. Their social structure is incredibly complex.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!