I need advice - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-08-2003, 10:08 PM   #1
Michael1
I need advice

Before I start I'll say that this post doesn't have to do with cornsnakes but it involves snakes. Well i've talked to my mom about getting a snake and she said No No and No. And today at my house my mom brought up the subject to my aunt and she said scence they are moving there cousin might give up his milk snake and asked if I wanted it and my mom said yes if the kid said yes. And from what I head from the mom and his sister it's either in hibernation all the time( he turns of the light and doesn't feed it. And he doesn't plan to breed it. Stupid IMHO) and he doesn't water it often. He hasn't handled it for a while so it might not be tame. The thing is that it's the only snake i'll be able to get. BTW it'll be my first snake. So my question is. Do you think it is worth the trouble?but remember all theese things may not be true all i know is what the sister and mom said and they are not sure of this.

If you noticed i just posted this on www.cornsnakes.com

Old 06-08-2003, 10:33 PM   #2
WebSlave
Personally, I think you will be doing that milk snake a BIG favor by getting it away from that guy. It sounds like that snake is being severely mistreated where it is now.

But check it out well to make sure you aren't getting an animal that might cause you some real heartaches if it is close to death's door already. Then you would have the uphill battle of convincing you mom that another snake you get wouldn't just go and die on you.

Good luck!

Old 06-08-2003, 10:43 PM   #3
ms_terese
Michael,

I think this might be a good opportunity to show your Mom that you're mature enough to take responsibility for a snake. If the snake also comes with its enclosure and everything, that's an added plus.

I would suggest taking the chance if you can, learn everything you can about both the specific species of snake and also this particular animal's habits and preferences, and do your best.

You'll want to verify what and how often this snake is being fed, what it has for substrate, and how often it's being handled if at all so that you can help make its transition as smooth as possible.

I'd take my time before making plans to get into breeding, however.

Good luck!

Old 06-08-2003, 11:16 PM   #4
Glenn Bartley
Hi Michael,

I think that if you take this snake you are taking a really big chance that you will either wind up with a healthy snake after you care for it properly thereby showing your mom you are pretty responsible OR you wil wind up with a snake that will be lots of problems, hard to care for, and which may die resulting in your mom saying to you that she had been right the first time when she said :
Quote:
No No and No
First of all, let me ask, how old are you? I will not ask other personal things like your address or anything, I just want to figure out if you are likely mature enough to care for this on your own. In fact don't even tell me your age, I'll just say if you are under 16 or maybe 15 forget about it - since this would be a challenge that might prove too much for even an experienced mature snake keeper. That is unless you can get your mom or better yet, an experienced adult, to help!

I know you want a snake badly, but getting a bad snake may just make things harder for you if you ever want another one. If on the other hand, you find out the snake is healthy, and it eats, and YOU SEE IT EAT, and it does not look skinny (no loose skin, no boes showing through the skin and so on) and it does not have mites (tiny little pesty bug like things), and its cage looks clean, and it had water and heat - then go for it.

But if it is a bad one, like in sick, or underfed, or dehydrated, or otherwise not in great health, well then you would probably be better off saying to your mom:

Quote:
Hey mom this snake looks and acts sick. If I take it, chances are it ill only get worse and die if it doesn't go to a veterinarian - and that could be more expensive than buying a new snake and a whole set up for it. Don't you think that if you are going to let me have a snake I should start off with a healthy one? Wouldn't that be easier for me to take care of and then better for the snake since it would be my first one?
It is always a noble thing to want to save a snake or other pet from someone who does not care for it as well as they should, but this is usually a big mistake for a person who is new to herp keeping.

Whatever happens, I wish you luck. It sounds as if the herp bug has bitten you.

Best regards,
Glenn Bartley

ps: feel free to have your mom email me for info about good first snakes and how to care for them, or have her join in the forum

Old 06-09-2003, 08:14 AM   #5
Michael1
The thing is all the info on there is what the sister said so it all might be a lie. Because he's had the snake for 3 years now so I think he does care for it, but doesn't handle it. (but I do know he hibernates it during the winter. I think I read some were it's better not to hibernate your snake, because it's to risky?)

Old 06-09-2003, 08:32 AM   #6
Michael1
Oh BTW I think she caved in to my aunt because 1. She knows i want one and there movig so they have to get rid of it. 2. My aunt started to talk about how they don't smell and there pretty easy to care for and yada yada yada.
P.S i think i'll get there everything for the cage and there frozen pinky's

Old 06-09-2003, 10:03 PM   #7
Glenn Bartley
Well let us know if you get it, and if you do tell us what condition it is in, maye post a picture. Hopefully your cousin was feeding a 3 year old milk snake something bigger than pinkies.

Good luck

Old 06-10-2003, 07:28 AM   #8
Michael1
He could be feeding pinkies to a three year old if it's a mexican milk snake (http://www.kingsnake.com/king/triangulum/annulata.html) maybe?

Old 06-10-2003, 03:37 PM   #9
Glenn Bartley
I didn't know they were that particular. I do know milk snakes can be timid feeders. I have an Eastern that is about 3 years old and looks like 1 1/2 to 2 years old, because it is a really picky eater. Mine will rarely take a small adult mouse, and more often goes for crawlers. It will take pinkies but only live ones, so I go for the crawlers - less expensive since I can feed it two or three crawlers at one feeding as opposed to 10-12 pinkies or so at a feeding and be feeding it the same weight of food.

It will be fun to find out more details about this snake and all the other info about it.

Old 06-10-2003, 10:10 PM   #10
DEWLAP 25
Thumbs up Go for it!

Mike,

I would definitely go for it what do you have to lose? I was in your same boat years ago. They are giving you the snake so you do not have buy it or the enclosure. When you get it home MAKE SURE the cover is on tight. If it is one think she well not like is that milk snake clipping around the house.

While you have it just pay close attention to it. Put a heat pad under the tank maybe that is why it was hibernating no heat source. If you read every thing you can about him or her and your mother sees you doing so then if things do not work out with this one then maybe she will not disagree on the next.
Try it out I hope all works well for you and your new Milksnake!!!

Thanks,
Alan Pittsley:alien: :alien:

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!