missing my T's - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
techgirl
missing my T's

I know I haven't had T's for many years, but for some reason I find myself having the urge to own one again. The downside is that I promised my bf that I would wait until our child turned 10 to get one. That will be in another 8 years. I think it started because I saw a person looking at an aviculara(sp?) and asking the store person questions and getting alot of wrong answers. After the employee walked away to help someone else, I spoke to her and told her that I used to have one and how I kept it. Ever since then I have found myself looking at pics of T's and care sheets. Also I have allergic reactions to bee stings and did have to go to the hospital once when my Rose hair bit me and the epi pen didn't cut it. Sorry just venting because I kinda wish I could have a T again. I love the antilles pinktoe and the curly hair. I love the look of the costa rican tigerrump. *sigh* Guess I just gotta be patient and wait for my girl to grow up and refill the script on my epi pen.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #2
John Apple
There are many ways you can avoid being bit, one is do not handle, something I do not condone. Then there are rubber gloves or kevlar gloves, still yet there are some very nice long forceps made to facilitate cage cleaning. Also you could think about the cupping method, which is putting an empty cup over the tarantula and sliding the lid under it [easier than it sounds] to hold the tarantula so you can do a thorough cage cleaning. There are some very nice cabinets made with glass fronts and a locking mechanism to keep prying hands out. Education of the youngsters works well and helps little ones respect the tarantula ...................just some thoughts
Lets hope you get another but first the epi pen

Old 11-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #3
techgirl
Thanks John. I have been looking at the exo terra tanks because they do have the locking mechanisms on them. I think they would great if I decided to go with an arboreal type. What do you think would be a good T to start over with again? I am tied on the antilles and the tigerrump. I know I should probably stick to a red knee or a rose hair. Maybe I'll get lucky and wear on the bf if I can prove that it won't be a problem with the youngun and my allergies.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:11 AM   #4
John Apple
Tiger rump would be a cool one or even a G pulchra as the TR has nice color and the pulchra is jet black and hairy as an adult. GBB's are a nice display animal also, nice red-prange hairy rumps and gunmetal blue legs, heavy webbers [at least mine are].
Arboreals I would wait on until your bf warms up to the T's

Old 11-08-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
techgirl
ok John you lost me on the GBB. I looked for the scientific name and came up with nada. I'm new to learning the scientific names(only really concentrating on it for the past week). Figured if I do get another T, I should know the proper names. Little help? I'll keep looking, got time today. Home with the flu. Loving every minute of it. NOT.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #6
techgirl
Oh wait, figured out it was a green bottle blue. yes very pretty indeed

Old 11-09-2006, 07:27 AM   #7
John Apple
yes very neet...not prone to biting tend to be a bit nervous as a hair kicker would be. They like to raise the abdomen to the threat or haul butt and run. heavy webbers and rather hardy , can live on the dryer side as far as tarantulas go

Old 11-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #8
techgirl
Hey John, I'm thinking I'm warming Dean up to the idea of a T. He said I could have one as long as it's not venemous.

Gotta love him sometimes

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!