Albino Litter Born Today - Tips Please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Immaculate_Reptiles
Albino Litter Born Today - Tips Please

Came home from work to find that my albino boa gave birth today.
I have vincent russo's book, but are there any good tips some of the pros can share from their experiences?

I removed everyone from the birthplace, put the babies in a drilled sterlite container with wet paper towel on the bottom and belly heat on one side.

The mom is a sweetheart and showed no aggression when taking her out or cleaning her up, I'm in the process of sterilizing her home and putting her back.
How long do I want to wait before I give her a small rat and start recharging her?

Thanks in advance!

-John

Old 08-11-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
BryonsBoas
You can feed her now. No reason to wait since in the wild that would likely be the first thing she would do anyway. Just make sure to change the paper towels in the baby tub regularly and keep them damp until the last baby sheds.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
Helenthereef
.... and take lots of photos and post them!

Old 08-12-2010, 01:44 AM   #4
Immaculate_Reptiles
Awesome Byron thanks a lot!
Yeah she's communicating with body language that she's ready for a meal, hanging out a the window ect, so I think tomorrow I'll give her a dusted fresh stunned and then work on keeping her comfortable and chill.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
AbsoluteApril
Congrats on the babies!

Just a tip, don't keep the papertowels completely wet, just a little damp.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
sFlsniper
that's awesome John. post a some pics here...

Old 08-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
Immaculate_Reptiles
The "Complete Boa Constrictor" has very little information about caring for newborn boas. It basically states to keep them in the birth enclosure for at least two days until the sacs have come off the cords, then transfer them into a rack tub with back heat and moist moss with the heat tape set to 90. Then after they shed in 7-10 days house them individually with the temp set to 87.

I see nothing about when to feed them, or how long before they can be sold ect. I think I remember someone saying they can be sold after one shed and two meals.

Ok so lets start with the bad news....

Out of a litter of 14,

One of the babies was still born, and I presume this because it was colorless, and still attached to all the birth medium ect.

Two of the babies were born with red soggy malformed eyes or something of that nature.

I noticed all this the first 10 seconds of looking in the window when I got home from work.

The babies with the malformed eyes are also showing signs of URI. Noticed this on the second day, opening the mouth ect. One is a little worse then the other. I also noticed the baby that has the worse URI now has a hemipene prolapse. While examining the eyes, I noticed a slimy covering on the eyes, which then dried up, so I removed the dried coverings with a wet Qtip.

Both are quarantined in a sweater box tub in my rack, with moist paper towel, and a big piece of cork bark with wet moss under it against back wall where the heat tape is. They are sitting under the bark, and the one with the worse URI is made a nest under the moss.

So far I have changed the paper towel in the litter's bin every day, sometimes twice depending on soil, and wiped it out with antibacterial soap water and a good rinse before putting new paper towel and babies back in.
They have a large water dish that's only 1 inch high to soak in on the cool end, and on the warm end have another large piece of cork bark with moist moss under it.

Everyone else seems to be doing fine, I have one baby that is maturing slowly and still has a fat belly and stuff inside, anything I should do special for him/her? I believe it to be the runt, as it has a smaller head then the rest and still a little piece of cord attached.

On the good side, the pick of the litter is already very active and the belly button is almost healed, I handled her today and I believe it to be female as the spurs are really really tiny.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
sFlsniper
man that's a shame. I would email some well known breeders and ask their advice.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
RedTAILPAT
wow the POTL is beautiful, im wondering who is the father to these babies.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #10
crotalusadamanteus
The eye condition is medically called hemorrhagic and buphthalmic. Those eyes won't get better, and they'll likely swell and pop as did the couple I had in '06. Best to go ahead and put them down before that time comes, and it causes them even more discomfort.

Like was mentioned, keep the babies moist but not wet, until they all shed out, then offer them a meal. I'd recommend you use F/T and warm them up. Sooner you get them on F/T the better, and the easier they'll sell.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!