seeking advice & opinions - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #21
ShadowAceD
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Zurowski View Post
Are you kidding me about talking to my snakes? You can tell by their actions how they are doing.I just offered my opinion to a question and what has been working for me.I am so glad that this site is filled with experts and that there is only one way to do things.I'll keeping doing what has been working for me all these years. Have a nice day JOE
Here, let me put it in simpler terms for you.

Boas do not live together in the wild.

There is clearly a reason for this.

Solitary boa good. Forced community boa bad. Get it?

Dominance disputes in snake can be very subtle (i.e. curling up on top of one another, following the other one around specifically to claim their "spot").

Back when people first started importing these animals and keeping them, the vast majority did so improperly (glass enclosures, housing multiples together, inaccurate temps, etc. etc.). Since then, much has been learned and what is one of the basic 101 things that had been learned? That boas do not live together. That boas should not be housed together. Large constrictors are not social and come together to breed exclusively.

Your animals have been forced to adapt to the conditions you put them in, they are not content or happy. The unfortunate downfall for cold-blooded animals is you cannot see a shift in "emotion" in them to determine when they are not happy. Boas are well adapted at concealing stress as it is seen as vulnerability in the wild. Cold-blooded animals in generaly hiding disease and the like until the last possible moment where nothing can be done is not unheard of. They are simply genetically predisposed to trying to tolerate whatever they encounter. It is simply wrong and cruel that you are forcing them further against their natures by putting them in inaccurate captivity.

So, again, I say, if you want to sit there and be a thick headed, willfully ignorant invidual who continues to force his animals to be housed together for the entirety of their lives, go for it. If you want to sit there and thump your chest at people who clearly know more than you and refuse to do what is proper for your animals, go for it. I only wish laws pertaining to snakes in the manner of animal cruelty were more strict or actually existed so people like you could be reported, have your animals removed from your care and fined considerably.

By the way, the part I bolded in your quote? DING DING DING, genius. The things I am telling you? They are not opinion, they are proven and they are based off of scientific studies both in wild and captivity.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #22
allreptiles1966
DONT USE TAPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
at the very least divide the tank with cardboard,use the end of the tank as a template and cut it edge to edge,it needs to fit tight. DO NOT USE TAPE of any kind,snakes and tape do not mix at all.
What are the temps and humidity "accurately" measured with ?
Its tuff to fast track someone thats made an impulse purchase,but it can be done
with abit of coin and diligence(action)
I can confirm that statement of not using tape. I did use tape and the albino got wrapped up in it and i hadnt looked in the cage for 2 days. I got the wrapping tape off and then he dehydrated quickly. He got better after several soakings over time using Pedialyte. His next shed was a relief.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #23
J Zurowski
Question Are you for real

[quote=ShadowAceD;1538358]Here, let me put it in simpler terms for you.

Boas do not live together in the wild.

There is clearly a reason for this.

Solitary boa good. Forced community boa bad. Get it?

Dominance disputes in snake can be very subtle (i.e. curling up on top of one another, following the other one around specifically to claim their "spot").

Back when people first started importing these animals and keeping them, the vast majority did so improperly (glass enclosures, housing multiples together, inaccurate temps, etc. etc.). Since then, much has been learned and what is one of the basic 101 things that had been learned? That boas do not live together. That boas sould not be housed together. Large constrictors are not social and come together to breed exclusively.

Your animals have been forced to adapt to the conditions you put them in, they are not content or happy. The unfortunate downfall for cold-blooded animals is you cannot see a shift in "emotion" in them to determine when they are not happy. Boas are well adapted at concealing stress as it is seen as vulnerability in the wild. Cold-blooded animals in generaly hiding disease and the like until the last possible moment where nothing can be done is not unheard of. They are simply genetically predisposed to trying to tolerate whatever they encounter. It is simply wrong and cruel that you are forcing them further against their natures by putting them in inaccurate captivity.

So, again, I say, if you want to sit there and be a thick headed, willfully ignorant invidual who continues to force his animals to be housed together for the entirety of their lives, go for it. If you want to sit there and thump your chest at people who clearly know more than you and refuse to do what is proper for your animals, go for it. I only wish laws pertaining to snakes in the manner of animal cruelty were more strict or actually existed so people like you could be reported, have your animals removed from your care and fined considerably.

By the way, the part I bolded in your quote? DING DING DING, genius. The things I am telling you? They are not opinion, they are proven and they are based off of scientific studies both in wild and captivity.[/Q
You may know more than me but to say that I should be fined for doing something different than you is You say what you want and have a nice day

Old 11-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #24
ShadowAceD
Quote:
You may know more than me but to say that I should be fined for doing something different than you is You say what you want and have a nice day
I know reading comprehension can be difficult, but if you take an extra thirty seconds to read what I wrote, you would see my issue has nothing to do with you "doing something different from me". You are basically reverting back three decades in boa keeping to suit your needs, as you yourself stated it works for you. Obviously, it is more convenient to shove multiple animals in a single enclosure isntead of housing each one properly.

So, go ahead, you can continue to force animals to live in improper captive conditions and feel superior for doing so.

I feel sorry for them.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #25
J Zurowski
Thumbs up I see your point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAceD View Post
I know reading comprehension can be difficult, but if you take an extra thirty seconds to read what I wrote, you would see my issue has nothing to do with you "doing something different from me". You are basically reverting back three decades in boa keeping to suit your needs, as you yourself stated it works for you. Obviously, it is more convenient to shove multiple animals in a single enclosure isntead of housing each one properly.

So, go ahead, you can continue to force animals to live in improper captive conditions and feel superior for doing so.

I feel sorry for them.
Thank you for opening my eyes to what I am doing wrong.I see that I have no recourse but to set all of my snakes free to live as they were intended.I hope that they don't den up together some where because it's wrong.You keep up the good work.Thanks again

Old 11-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #26
ShadowAceD
Quote:
Thank you for opening my eyes to what I am doing wrong.I see that I have no recourse but to set all of my snakes free to live as they were intended.I hope that they don't den up together some where because it's wrong.You keep up the good work.Thanks again
It's great to see maturity in abundance from negligent keepers.

Really helps the industry/hobby out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
boa, feeding help, housing, snake