Who's here and what do you keep? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-22-2006, 12:16 AM   #1
Mike Greathouse
Who's here and what do you keep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
I have tried several times to get the discussion forums rolling by offering sponsorships and what not, and except for the leopard gecko forum, they are all just way under used. As such, this may very well be my last effort to get those forums going. If this fails, I will likely just terminate all underused discussion forums and be done with it.
I really enjoy this forum and in the interest of preserving it, I think it might be prudent for the regular visitors here to get together and make every effort to take it to the next level.

I think the first step in doing this would be to find out who is here and what boas we keep.

I'll start it off:

I've been keeping boas for about 10 years now. Although I do work with other species as well, it has always been the boas that fascinate me. Although my residents vary from year to year, here is the primary list:

The locality kids:

Argentines
Bolivian Amarali
Corn Island Boas
Hog Island Boas
Hondurans
Western Venezuelan Boas

The Common and Morph kids:

Albino Boas (VPI Bloodline)
Anerythristic Boas (Including Striped Anerythristics)
Blacktails (My own bloodline)
Common Boas - Colombians (numerous color and pattern morphs)
Hypos

and Pip (my project for a true dwarf Colombian Boa)

Ok - what do the rest of you have?

Thanks,

Old 03-22-2006, 01:18 AM   #2
hhmoore
Though I have staked my claim in the Python forum, I enjoy this one as well.
I keep dumerils boas, Hog Island boas, albino and hypomelanistic BCI.
Staying in the Boa family, but stepping out of the Boa genus, I also keep ATBs, ETBs, and yellow anacondas.

(I put the dumeril's in the first group, because I have recently seen them listed as Boa dumerili vs the previous Acrantophis dumerili)

Old 03-22-2006, 01:56 AM   #3
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
(I put the dumeril's in the first group, because I have recently seen them listed as Boa dumerili vs the previous Acrantophis dumerili)
Did you see any kind of a time line on the listing? cause I thought it was the other way around.

Old 03-22-2006, 02:33 AM   #4
hhmoore
you know, I thought it was weird, they've been Acrantophis for as long as I've dealt with them in any capacity. I'll have to go back and check, but I think one of the places I saw it was the CITES site. (I'll get back to you)

Old 03-22-2006, 02:54 AM   #5
hhmoore
It wasn't CITES, but this site shows Acrantophis dumerili (invalid) and Boa dumerili (valid), and is dated 1999.
http://www.itis.usda.gov:8080/servle..._id_value=1912
also, the University of Michigan Museum of Zoology site (citation 2006)
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed..._dumerili.html

Old 03-22-2006, 03:20 AM   #6
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
It wasn't CITES, but this site shows Acrantophis dumerili (invalid) and Boa dumerili (valid), and is dated 1999.
http://www.itis.usda.gov:8080/servle..._id_value=1912
also, the University of Michigan Museum of Zoology site (citation 2006)
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed..._dumerili.html
Wow, that's interesting. That site not only states that Boa is valid for Dumeril's, but also the tree boa as Boa madagascariensis . That first site has Jonathan A. Campbell listed, and I think he is on the official governing body (?) that lists reptiles. I had always thought it was Boa that was defunct, and Acrantophis as "current". Thing is, according to that site this was determined in 44' as in 1844! I mean I know I have a hard time keeping up with all the changes in taxonomy, especially the last 10 years or so, but 150 years! Man am I behind. LOL

Old 03-22-2006, 03:47 AM   #7
hhmoore
yeah - I noticed those dates as well. Might as well face it...us common folk will never be in the know.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:50 AM   #8
hhmoore
I have noticed that on many published stock/pricelists, they are showing up as both Boa and Acrantophis (not on the same list of course). Boa is easier to spell, so maybe I should stick with that one until we know for sure, lol.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:59 PM   #9
Griz
My collection consists of:

0.1 Snow
1.2 proven dwarf hypo's (5 years of age and only at 4 foot)
0.1 dwarf normal (4 years of age and at 3 foot)
1.0 Argentine 66% t positive
0.1 full body stripe boa (genetic)
1.0 9 foot normal
0.1 40lb gravid female (darn thing was due yesterday with my sunglows!!)
1.1 genetic stripe normals
0.1 extreme peach pastel normal (nasty little bugger too!)
0.1 Suriname, now blind in both eyes but still eating
0.1 proven dwarf albino (5 years of age and only 4 foot)
1.0 dh sunglow male (sire of my sunglow litter)
1.1 dumerils
1.0 laddertail (absolutely hands down the best laddertail I have seen)
0.1 normal
1.0 proven het ghost ball python (still not sure why I own this guy!)

Griz

Old 03-22-2006, 03:24 PM   #10
Art Klass
My boas are as follows:

1.1 dh sunglow
0.1 het albino
0.1 Nic (project with bright tangerine patches)
1.1 Guyanas
1.1 Surinames
3.4 normal pastels
1.0 striped normal
2.5 normal pastel yearlings

I currently have two gravid normals this season. Next season much of what I have will be able to breed. I'm so ready!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!