How I got the blockage out - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
SPJ
How I got the blockage out

If anyone is interested, this is what I did to remove the blockage in the BP.

After going to a few vets and getting nowhere, I contacted Davey Fig since he was successful in removing a hardened yolk on a few baby boas in the past and they survived the ordeal and lived.

She was swabbed with betadine and the blockage was injected with 1cc of saline in between the belly scales and then soaked for 1/2 an hour in warm water containing one dissolved tablet of maracyn every day for 5 days.

1/2cc of mineral oil was tubed daily in the morning and 1cc of pedialyte was tubed daily at night for the 5 days.

Every other day, she got a saline enema to release the gas build up behind the blockage.

After the 5 days of treatment, I slowly started to work the blockage down the intestinal tract and finally out the cloaca. This took about 2 hours of gentle working to get it out(she NEVER bit or hissed and was a perfect little patient LOL.)

After it was out, I tubed 1/2cc of pedialyte and placed her back in her tub.

Today I tubed 1cc of pedialyte again to restore any lost electrolytes from the ordeal and to get some additional fluids in her.

Now to find out just what this thing was. It does not look like a hardened yolk but the saline injections may have changed it's appearence somehow from what I expected to see.

The snake with the blockage inside.

The blockage itself after it was worked out of her.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!