False Water Cobra Bite - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
Tim Cole
Is the

poor snake still alive? I've known several people bitten by venomous snakes have the snake die within a day or two! LOL

Great documentation Wes. Next time, have the camera next to the bottle of alcohol!

Old 01-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
dprince

I really enjoyed holding the FWC's. Of course, I just held the males.......

Happy new year to you, Wes. I look forward to seeing you at the next show, and holding more FWC's.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #13
The BoidSmith
It seems I had it worst last month though. Oddly enough one of my tamest snakes is a 5 feet Sumatran blood (purchased from Chris Johnson at the peak of his popularity!). I was feeding her a F/T rat from tongs apparently the rat was colder than my hand so she bypassed the rat, tong and went straight to my right hand. She immediately coiled my arm and started to apply pressure, both with the teeth and body. Only after a while could I release her grip from both my hand and arm. Blood was everywhere and of course a huge hematoma under my skin.

This was my third big bite in my life. The first one and incredibly tame 6 feet Burmese that had escaped and was hiding under some furniture. Rookie mistake, I reached with my hand to that secure hiding spot he had found. Luckily that was a bite and release but still painful enough. The third one was a recently WC adult Argentine boa, a huge blow to my hand that left also a huge hematoma. Reasons enough to stay away from hots, I trust the snake's temper too much.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #14
crotalusadamanteus
Poor snake. Imagine getting a taste of Wes in your mouth.

Glad to hear there were no REAL ill effects from the bite. Interesting recital of the whole situation too. I think this is probably the first FWC bite I have read anything about.

Thanks for sharing that. Glad it all turned out OK too.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #15
Serafim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cole
Great documentation Wes. Next time, have the camera next to the bottle of alcohol!
Thats what I was saying earlier LOL. But would he find it when he needed it

Old 01-02-2008, 01:28 AM   #16
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cole
I also know female children well enough to know that the camera would disappear even before the bottle of alcohol....but a good thought, lol.

And I like Jay's idea of keeping the vodka in the spray bottle, at least then if they won't let go, you could self-medicate yourself one handed.

But seriously Wes, I appreciate your posting your experience, and very glad to hear everything is OK. My FWC male is soooo mellow, he's never showed any inclination whatsoever of striking at me, but he does have a helluva feeding response, I have wondered while watching him with his prey just how difficult it would be to get him to let go if he did latch on to me by accident.

Now we'll see what happens when I get my girl.....

Old 01-08-2008, 12:27 AM   #17
SPJ
Ya know Wes, this is not helping the argument with the wife over how these things are harmless and she should let me get one from you.

Glad you're OK though.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:49 AM   #18
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
Ya know Wes, this is not helping the argument with the wife over how these things are harmless and she should let me get one from you.

Glad you're OK though.
On the contrary, this should cement the deal with you getting one.

NOW there is conclusive proof that you have no worries should you manage to get a good bite.

With all the rumors out there, and there are plenty, a single bit of factual information should go a long way.

And I just happen to have one or two ready to go Steve.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #19
ballpythonteen
so what i got from his is females are bad. great i get one well i wanted a female but i get one and she should have a temper she already nicked my with a toothe not sure why but shes is handable and i feed her in a separate container. but glad to here your OK

Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 PM   #20
DreamDrownedAtHotmail
Lightbulb hmm...

a false water cobra.. venomous, but the bite is hardly something to worry about... never considered one before, but your story (and the picture of one for sale, which made me look up fwc's and led me to your story) is getting me Really interested... can you email me some pics of some for sale and some recommendations of which sex (how much worse is a female, are there ANY reasons to have a female other than breeding, etc.) and how much you want for him/her? also, there aren't too many care sheets for fwc's floating around, have you found any that seem/are accurate? (even if it's one of yours ok, i'll be looking them up online until i hear from ya (or i find a way to email you personally, heh.). my email is DreamDrowned@hotmail.com

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!