Venomoid in/near Indiana? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:55 PM   #1
Arctophile117
Venomoid in/near Indiana?

I was hoping anyone could refer me to a vet who does the venomoid operation in or near Indiana. Thank you in advance.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #2
BlueCrowned
Creating venomoids is cruel to the animal and creates a false sense of security as the animal may still be able to envenomate you. Venomoids are banned in several countries due to ethical concerns.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:25 PM   #3
Donald C
I would also avoid the venomoid route as the venom aides in the digestive process for some if not all venomous animals. It is not only a cruel treatment, it is also detrimental to the health of the animal.

If you want to get into venomous, just commit to it and get the proper training if you don't already have training.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:37 PM   #4
Arctophile117
I've already read up on updated info on the matter, (to include lingering hazards to both handler and animal).

Look, if you aren't willing to bring yourselves up to date, that's your concern. But at least research it (by that, I mean actually read multiple sources and look at multiple sides of the arguement) before just tossing an opinion out there.

Now that we have THAT out of the way, does anyone have the info I requested?

Old 01-24-2018, 07:44 PM   #5
Arctophile117
Actually, maybe I SHOULD clarify something, since this is already creating an argument. I require that said veterinarian uses the Hoser method, or any expounded upon the Hoser method. Thank you in advance.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:24 PM   #6
Donald C
There is a reason that very, very few veterinarians perform this operation. I believe that you can count them all on one hand. Bottom line, is that very few vets would perform any sort of venomoid operation, due in part to the liability issue with working on venomous and in part due to the delicacy and undesirability of the operation.

Also, I would be very dubious of anything that Raymond Hoser has espoused or touched, were I you.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:00 PM   #7
Arctophile117
Naturally, you wouldn't. Nevermind that it has been successfully replicated time and again, by different veterinarians since, oh, I don't know, 2004 or 2005? And had resounding success in rendering them relatively harmless, so long as standard precautions are taken until residues are gone (kinda reminds me of the warning the surgeon gave me before getting my vasectomy, how I need to be careful for so long afterward or I might randomly father a kid). Or the fact that science has already proven that venom isn't required by vipers for digestion, that the effect it has on breaking down tissues simply aids the snake in being able to swallow even larger meals, compared against, say, pythons or colubrids of similar size. Also nevermind that a reduced, eventually negated risk of envenomation would obviously make handling one of these snakes (when handling is necessary - since I propably needed to add THAT "disclaimer") much less dangerous for not only the handler, but also the snake, due to reduced chance of accidentally hurting the animal with the very tools used to defend yourself with when handling it.

I didn't expect to find many vets, let alone one near me, given the extreme danger being a liability. I asked on here because I was HOPING to get helpful info, while instead I'm getting roadblocks by good ol' boys who percieve someone as being recklessly naive of the lethality of such a beautiful creature, and of the respect due it for exactly that reason (it being a living, breathing thing goes without saying).

On this note, I distinctly remember that as I was making my account on this forum, a moderator was running a survey, asking members' general views of this site. He blatantly stated his concern that perhaps the older and longer-time members are running off new members due to an "old club" mentality. I am beginning to see why he was concerned.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:09 PM   #8
Arctophile117
Oh, and by "relatively harmless," I'm referring to the size of their fangs. Allowing a monitor to latch on without instinctively pulling back (possibly rupturing its jaw by ripping imbedded teeth out) is quite painful. I'm sure something the size of, or larger, than cat claws in an animals jaw would pose its own danger.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:15 PM   #9
Donald C
Potato, poh-ta-to. One person's ol' boys club is another person's disapproval of intent to have performed a medically unnecessary and non-beneficial (if not harmful) surgical procedure upon any animal.

Putting an animal through such an ordeal simply for the owner's benefit hits as highly unethical and is poor husbandry in my personal opinion.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:18 PM   #10
Arctophile117
And that is YOUR opinion, although I can't see where husbandry comes into play in this argument other than for just tossing out little "hot words" to possibly catch people's eye. Now leave me alone, please. At this point you're just harrassing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!